New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Andy....Welcome to TinBoats. Sounds like you have a couple fun builds in the near future. I'm certain that you will find many if not all your answers right here. The search function is great and if you still can't find what you want....just ask. You'll get lots of answers.

We like pictures before, during and after and also like to know what part of the world you are from. When you get a chance, add that to your profile please.

Again...Welcome!

Howdy folks,

I'm from Pearland, just south east of Houston. Fairly close to Galveston Bays and a few popular Lakes. I've been lurking for that last couple of weeks, truly amazed at what you can do with these boats. I'm getting into a 1994 16' Monark with a 40hp Mariner.

I'm looking forward to tearing in down and making it mine. I'll be hitting ya'll up often, so be patient.

Glad I found this site!

T.

Hey Slowrollin'....glad you finally stopped lurking. I was wondering who that was. :LOL2:

Welcome aboard. Happy to have you as part of the family.

Hello all.

Last summer I inherited my dad's old duck boat. It's a 1971 Richline and I think it's a Challenger. It's a semi-V hull. Looking at it from the front it reminds me of an old destroyer, but that might have something to do with the fact that the boats name has been the Duck Destroyer since before I was born. It isn't the straightest boat in the fleet being that my dad got it for next to nothing from a resort since it was ran into by another boat, but it floats and only takes on a little bit of water (had it in the water for a week, and only siphoned water out of it once). It's pretty bare bones right now because being a duck boat, you want it as light as possible to be able to get through the cattails and up onto bogs, on and off the trailer at questionable landings, etc. In my head I have visions of using hood pins to make a casting deck for the front that would be easily removable, fancy storage compartments along the sides for rod storage, quick disconnect seats... but in reality I'm sure it'll stay in it's current state for a while.

Well, I've got some questions to ask, but I'll put them in the appropriate topics.

Off to the fun! Oh yea, and I'm from the twin cities in MN.

~Gordon

Hey Kevin....welcome to TinBoats. Sounds like we grew up in the same place, but I was probably a few years ahead of you. I'm still in St. Louis (Fenton). If you ever get up this way....let me know. I'd be happy to take you out for the day.....and thanks for your service!

awesome thanks it means a lot. just got a chrysler 6 horse and a minn kota endura 30lb for the crawdad cant wait till the weather breaks to finally take it out. guess i'll string up the reels in the mean time :cry:

hello im new to the site and i live in LA lower alabama im only 16 years old i bought a 1968 semi v sea nymph 14 ft with a 9 1/2 evinrude motor im modifying it any wisdom from some of the more mature folks would be great

welcome aboard acedog.

Congrats on the new tin.

Just found this site a couple days ago after starting to tear apart my 2000 16' smokercraft. Wish I had taken some pictures when I first started the project. I'm down to the main deck but will start taking pictures tomorrow. Great info on here. Its nice that people don't get bashed for asking questions.

Found you guys, looking for mod ideas for my 1232 topper jon boat. Looks like I found a great bunch of like minded people.

Hope to make a few good pals and have some fun with fixing up my boat.

Ryan

Wld Fowl said:
Found you guys, looking for mod ideas for my 1232 topper jon boat. Looks like I found a great bunch of like minded people.

Hope to make a few good pals and have some fun with fixing up my boat.

Ryan

Hey Ryan....Welcome to the family. I'm sure you will make lots of pals here and get all the ideas/answers you can possibly need. Happy to have you here.

Mike Love, Jr. Front Royal, Va.

I have finally found the MECCA of jon boats! i wish i would have known about this site back in september when i got my new grizzly 1448SC looking forward to learing some new tricks and making some new fishing buddies

Welcome Mike Love, Jr. from Front Royal, Va. .

That's quite an intro, and I love your wording when you say you found the "MECCA" of jon boats. I don't think I've ever heard it put that way, but you are so RIGHT ON TARGET!

Glad you found us, and hope you stick around. This is a great place...and not only for the info..but the friendships that develop too. Welcome to the family.

New member here. I found the site using a Google search for some info regarding homemade livewells. I might be a minority here since I float on fiberglass, yet wanted to join since it is filled with usefull info that can be used on my boat, and also the motor section is very informative. My fiberglass boat does have some aluminum on it, so I hope that counts. :lol:

In case somebody is curious.... My fishing rig consist of a 15' Tuffy boat, year unknown at this time (70 something), powered by an early 70's 20hp Johnson and a older bow mount trolling motor. When I bought my boat, it was basically just the shell with a flat floor in it. I had ripped out the floor and replaced it with 3/4 inch treated and also built a casting deck up front. Still adding new handy ways to improve my time on the water fishing while keeping costs down. So far I have very little into my fishing boat setup. I listed below what I have into it so far. Nothing was bought through Craigslist. The boat was bought from a friend and wood at Fleet Farm, the rest have been purchased at flea markets. Nothing wrong with CL, just found better deals at the markets.

$250 - 15' Tuffy tri-hull with trailer
$50 - wood to build casting deck
$100 - 20hp Johnson
$15 - Used Lowrance x85
$30 - Used bow mount trolling motor
$20 - two anchors
----
$465 invested so far. Not too shabby...lol.

Matt

Hey MattR. :WELCOME:

I think you qualify as a member, but you need to send me $50 to complete your membership.

Kidding :mrgreen: Glad to have you on board.

fender66 said:
Hey MattR. :WELCOME:

I think you qualify as a member, but you need to send me $50 to complete your membership.

Kidding :mrgreen: Glad to have you on board.

Thanks for the welcome.

Although if you want my $50, you will have to get it back from the gas station...lol.

To make up for my lack of "tin", I will do my best to help in the forums. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, I worked at a boat motor repair place. Everything from tune-ups to rebuilds, outboard and inboard. Shop closed due to Mercury Marine (Fondulac, WI) giving him an offer he couldn't refuse as a regional supervisor for the local dealerships. We sold Chrysler outboards, yet did repair work for Mercury dealerships when they would get backlogged on repairs in their shops. Best part of my job was the "on the water" tests, with the exception of getting stranded a few times during troubleshooting outings and not having all the parts with me to get it running at the time. So I hope I can help with some of my knowledge when possible.

Matt

Latest posts