New project, Dakota 1650 modified V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that I just did a Google search for custom aluminum hatches. There were numerous sites that came up with different types of hatches and such. Most were very highl priced.While searching I found the Cabela's site where they had them listed. I had searched before as well and never found them so it must be one of those anomalies where when you Google search for them it comes up on their website. Here's the link seems like a decent price for those style hatches. I need two of the large.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Custom-Hatch/699966.uts

The one thing that I did not want was a hatch That protruded up out of the floor like the plastic ones. For $230 I think that these hatches from Cabela's are perfect. However, I did see on another website a place in Texas called R and R design they should be around $60 from them. I'm going to call them on Monday

Let us know what you decide. I can see spending extra for somthing that will last as long as the boat.

Have not decided fully on the hatches. Never had time to call the Texas shop. Did however get the front deck all bent to shape. I attempted to build a metal brake but that was a total failure. Ended up old schooling it with a rubber mallet, and it turned out better than expected.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,242
Impressive work w the mallet. 60 dollars a hatch that's a steal even by the time they're shipped to NY. I'm nervous about cutting into my deck though. Can't help but to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch Release Repeat said:
Impressive work w the mallet. 60 dollars a hatch that's a steal even by the time they're shipped to NY. I'm nervous about cutting into my deck though. Can't help but to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, we have a large metal bench at work. I was able to hammer in the angles then lay the sheet on the table and hammer out any marks. Quite surprised how it turned out. I kind of guessed on the $60.00 price. I had seen on another forum someone had R&R make hatches for him of smaller, but similar size as mine. They only charged him $30.00 so I assumed mine would be somewhere around $60.00. Going to call them tomorrow.

Just heard back from R&R. Turns out they are the company that manufactures the hatches for Cabelas! The link I added earlier shows the sizes. Here's the prices direct from R&R.
Small- $52.00
Medium- $67.00
Large- $78.00
My custom 13x30 are $100.00. Not sure if I want to reconfigure my support structure to fit their large version rather than pay an extra $48.00 and get the custom ones that fit perfect.

Pulled the trigger and placed my order with R&R. Total was $189.00 for two 12 3/4" x 35" hatches with locking handle. It is a lot of money for a Jon boat but I figured if I have gone this far and I plan on keeping it awhile I might as well do it right.. Should be 7-10 days.

I would highly recommend these guys so far. Excellent service, as well as what look to be high quality products at very fair prices. If you stick with their genetic sizes these hatches are a far better choose cost wise than the plastic hatches.

I was quoted $270.00 per hatch by a local guy....

Nice looking work on the boat. I am getting ready to start one and just haven't had the time. I have thought about painting the entire outside of my boat in spray bed liner, was that easy to spray? I would also be a little concerned about cutting that tongue so short, are you going to be able to drop your tail gate?

Bowhunter1661 said:
The jury is still out wether to bed line the inside or carpet. Still leaning towards bed lining.
I'd do neither ... would go marine vinyl or perhaps that closed-cell foam stuff ... alligator-hide or something like that?

I use the vinyl and it wears well, stays color fast, doesn't stain if you don't allow stains to bake in for days/weeks ... and power washes really well. Plus it is fairly cheap and easy to install!

jkapl001 said:
Nice looking work on the boat. I am getting ready to start one and just haven't had the time. I have thought about painting the entire outside of my boat in spray bed liner, was that easy to spray? I would also be a little concerned about cutting that tongue so short, are you going to be able to drop your tail gate?
I just bought the cheap Rustoleum aerosol can bedliner. If I were to do it over I would have spend a little extra and rolled herculiner on. The spray is very thin. Also it makes a horrible mess! You can also buy a cheap airless sprayer from Harbor Freight and then thin out the herculiner hen spray. I think I may just paint the inside with camo green then in the summer pay the money and install SBT flooring.

Nice boat, and good job so far!! If you go the Herculiner route, prep is everything to get a good bond. Used it on my truck bed, and had it in my old boat (PO did a crappy job, peeling up). If it were me, I'd use paint with a lil sand in it for traction. Cheap and easy to maintain. Keep up the good work! :beer:

riverrat717 said:
Nice boat, and good job so far!! If you go the Herculiner route, prep is everything to get a good bond. Used it on my truck bed, and had it in my old boat (PO did a crappy job, peeling up). If it were me, I'd use paint with a lil sand in it for traction. Cheap and easy to maintain. Keep up the good work! :beer:

Thank you sir, it is been a lot of fun so far. I also really like that idea of painting and then adding San. I may just do that and then sometime in the summer hydroturf. I just haven't decided yet. I would kind of like to Fish out of the boat and then make my decision on what material I want. But for now, I think the sand/painting idea sounds like a perfect low price option

Did a little work this evening, cut one hatch hole and built that sides battery tray. While cutting the second hole my electric tin sheers broke so that hatch did not get cut. Few more days and hatches will be in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,072
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,072
Wow ! I can't believe all the progress you have made since the day after Christmas when I last checked this thread !! Amazing work , I need to fly you down here , feed you well while you show me how to do all this on mine lol
Just gave me some ideas for my TM battery mounting !

Bigwrench said:
Wow ! I can't believe all the progress you have made since the day after Christmas when I last checked this thread !! Amazing work , I need to fly you down here , feed you well while you show me how to do all this on mine lol
It sure feels like I am moving at a snails pace lol. Looking forward to being done! For the tray, I had planned on not putting a second peice of angle across the back. But now that I see it I have decided to add the 4th piece across the back and then rivet it to the bench seat. I am going with a 24 volt trolling motor, so one on each side should give a good weight distribution once my 20 HP goes on and 6 gal of gas are in the back.

Bowhunter1661 said:
Bigwrench said:
It sure feels like I am moving at a snails pace lol. Looking forward to being done! For the tray, I had planned on not putting a second peice of angle across the back. But now that I see it I have decided to add the 4th piece across the back and then rivet it to the bench seat. I am going with a 24 volt trolling motor, so one on each side should give a good weight distribution once my 20 HP goes on and 6 gal of gas are in the back.
That's exactly what I am doing with my build also (24v TM) , One battery on each side

Bigwrench, even in my 1440 I felt the 45 lb 12 volt was too little at times. Very happy with my choice to go 24 volt and 70 lb.

Snuck in a little more work tonight. Need to place my order and get navigation lights, switch panel, seat mounts and pedestals.

Back lids are cut, just need to go buy more 1 1/2" angle to make the support deck under it.

Also repaired the torn bench. Should have waited though, that way I could have through bolted the base to the plate.... Oh well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg