New project, Dakota 1650 modified V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowhunter1661 said:
Bigwrench, even in my 1440 I felt the 45 lb 12 volt was too little at times. Very happy with my choice to go 24 volt and 70 lb.
Yeah , I have several spare trolling motors but for this one its most likely going to be a 767 Brute which has been a workhorse or I'll get another 80 fortrex this fall when the big sales hit again on them.
Really enjoying your build.

Bass Fishin and Banjer Pickin !

Dieing not having the supplies to work on my boat. I need more angle and tubing to finish the rear hatch, only problem is I am an hour from the metal supply company. Will have to wait till Monday when I am next door to the supply house for work to buy the materials.

Until then, I worked for about a half hour on the trolling motor mount for the 70 lb Minn Kota Edge I bought from a buddy. Used my redneck engineering to bend it somewhat into proper shape. It will do though.

Please ignore the pink rug. I swear it's my finances

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,041
Bowhunter1661 said:
Did a little work this evening, cut one hatch hole and built that sides battery tray. While cutting the second hole my electric tin sheers broke so that hatch did not get cut. Few more days and hatches will be in.

Depending on what you paid for them...you can get replacement blades for your double cuts. They don't like cutting corners, ie 90 deg turns.
Nice job on your hand forming!

Depending on what you paid for them...you can get replacement blades for your double cuts. They don't like cutting corners, ie 90 deg turns.
Nice job on your hand forming![/quote]

For some reason I never thought of that. Just looked, bad thing is the replacement blades are $35.00 and a new unit only $45.00

What will you be towing with? Just seems like it is going to be tough to drop a tailgate with the tongue so short.

Also I thought I made this post the other day, but can't find it. I am just curious to your plan, I have one I am getting ready to start and would love to shorten the trailer like that but am just concerned.

jkapl001 said:
What will you be towing with? Just seems like it is going to be tough to drop a tailgate with the tongue so short.

Also I thought I made this post the other day, but can't find it. I am just curious to your plan, I have one I am getting ready to start and would love to shorten the trailer like that but am just concerned.

I am towing with an 06 Silverado 1500. I actually slid the boat back a little bit back from the first photo. I double checked the tailgate would drop and it did just fine. I'll snap some pictures tonight.

I was also worried but it appears it will work just fine. The only concern will be making tight turns in reverse. I broke my passenger side taillight with my previous trailer because the tongue was so short.

Glad it will work for you. Those super short trailer make backing up way harder. I had towed all my life and thought I was really really good at a ramp, they I bought a jetski, the hardest thing ever to back up in a long wheel based truck.

Did you use solid rivets or blind rivets to assemble your deck structure? I know solid are needed for the hull, but can blinds be used with deck structure and to secure to interior ribs?

Got the hatches this afternoon from R&R design. Excellent quality. If your looking for a hatch to install in an area that doesn't have a hole cut yet, or your dimensions match their factory sizes. I would highly recommend them. Very affordable when going the factory sized route.

Need to pickup some hardware tomorrow as well as some silicone to complete the install. Other than that just waiting on aluminum to finish the rear deck. Then one more order for seat bases, pedestals, nav light and switch panel.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,263
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 1,263
Fishfreek said:
Bowhunter1661 said:
Got the hatches this afternoon from R&R design. Very affordable when going the factory sized route.

I was looking at their website, where did you find the factory sizes?

I had to call to get sizes. Turns out though, they're the company that makes cabelas hatches. Same exact sizes.

Here's the link for sizes. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Custom-Hatch/699966.uts
Sm- $57.00
Md- $67.00
Lg- $78.00

If you order direct, you can choose between locking and non locking. As well as powder coated or non. Wish I would have powder coated mine as they didn't charge anything extra.

Got a little bit of work done this evening. Got the order of 1x1x1/16 aluminum tube and finished the rear hatch lids. Placed an order Friday for pedestal bases, navigation lights, work lights, switch panel and a few other misc things. Moving on to wiring the boat then once it warms I will coat the inside with Total Boat Total Tread deck paint.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,231
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,231
Thanks everyone, it has been a lot of fun thus far. I am however getting to the point where I just want to be finished though! Pedestal bases mounted up this evening. Had to cut the front base to fit between the hatches. Moving slowly but in the right direction.

My brother in law was always afraid riding in my boat because the only seat mounts were in the rear and up on the front deck. I added a base to the live well lid so he is a little more comfortable when we hit a wave or are cruising at higher speeds. What a nice guy I am thinking of my passengers... :roll: Also mounted the rear base so that when the back passenger swivels towards the front of the boat their feet aren't dangling off the bench. That is when they are using one of my 11" pedestals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,180
Not a whole lot of progress. I'm kind of at a stand still waiting on warm weather. Mounted the switch panel and wired the front navigation lights. Boat is all cleaned up, sanded and wiped down with acetone.

I do have a question for those more experienced boaters. The warmest weather in the forecast is this Saturday and Sunday. It will be in the mod 40's. Can I spray the self etching primer in this weather and spray the Rustoleum spray can type enamel paint? I plan on using flat paint so I really have no worries of orange peal or a foggy appearance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,094
Bowhunter1661 said:
uglymud said:
Look into hydro turf instead of carpet some nice stuff from what I've saw.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't hydro turf the same as the product SBT sells? Only cheaper and under a different brand name?

They are similar products. Both are made from a high endurance EVA foam. The Hydro-Turf product is highly durable and holds up very well over time. I won't speak on the Blacktip but can say I have had it as a test sample previously.