New project, Dakota 1650 modified V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowhunter1661 said:
The warmest weather in the forecast is this Saturday and Sunday. It will be in the mod 40's. Can I spray the self etching primer in this weather and spray the Rustoleum spray can type enamel paint? I plan on using flat paint so I really have no worries of orange peal or a foggy appearance.

I'm not going to claim to be the end-all, be-all of spray painting knowledge, but I'd say temps in the 40s is pushing it. You can probably get away with sneaking a coat or two in, but they're going to take a long time to cure.

I personally use a little propane torpedo heater to warm up my garage and paint surfaces during the winter. If you have access to something like that, your results will be better.

Worked on the rig tonight. Wired up deck lights, compartment lights and aerator pump. compartment lights are wired on a separate switch circuit than the deck lights so that each can be turned on individually.

Also painted the inside of the boat. That is everything but the tops of the bench and decks. Ended up using Rustoleum industrial in gloss Dark Machine Grey. Also, I plan on painting the exterior sometime in the summer. That's why I only did the inside.. I will be placing an order for SBT Black tip shortly. Hydro turf is wayyyyy to expensive with the added 3M adhesive.

Inching closer and closer. Once the flooring is done I need to pull and clean the carb, replace fuel filter, gear lube and impeller.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 843
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 843
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 843
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 843
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 843
Wellll I sort of lied. I pulled the trigger on some hydro turf just now. I was thinking it would be around $450 with adhesive. Found that handy hydro turf link on Tinboats page. Ended up with "B" grade diamond in dark grey, with the 15% off I walked away at $190.00 for 5 sheets including shipping. Not too bad! Will likely just use spray adhesive. Any recomendations on spray type adhesives? This is the last thing I have to do in order to complete the build! Cannot wait to be done and start fishing!

Received the shipment of hydroturf. Very happy with the stuff. The "B" cut does have some flaws and color issues, but, all in all not bad. Just need to glue it down. After that SHES DONE!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 766
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 766
I have a buddy coming over tomorrow to help out with the glueing of the hydroturf. Until then, I got the motor ready to go. It hasn't run in at least a year, maybe two. Was stored with seafoamed fuel. Pulled the fuel filter, cleaned it and the filter housing. Hooked up my seafoamed fuel from last year. Pulled the cord and it fired on the first pull! Not bad for not running for such a long time.

The tell tale wasn't pissing right away so I shut it down and found a mud dobber nest right at the tell tail outlet. After that, I let it idle for about an hour. For now I think I'll change the lower unit oil, water pump and let her rip.

Forgot to add this, my grandfather had about 8 holes in the transom below the water line. Most filled with caulk with the exception of the that had a transducer mounted to it. Thankfully they were all in about a 6 inch area. Rather than just filling them, I decided to cut a piece of UHM, then adhere it with a marine adhesive. No more holes drilled into the transom!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 727
Sorry guys, didn't realize anyone was actually following the build! I am pleased to say the boat is totally done. Ended up installing a Humminbird helix 7 SI. Had to do a bunch of work to the motor, but, now it runs like a top. Ended up having a failed reed cage seal. Once I replaced that and installed new Boyesen reeds it runs like a bat out of hell.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 601
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 601
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 601
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 601
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 601
My new house is really close to the Kankakee and desplains river. My next mod will likely be a custom tunnel.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 597
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 597
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 597
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg