Poconoboss' Tracker Topper 1542 Conversion - SHE IS DONE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoconoBoss

Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name is Len, I've lurked here for a while gathering info and ideas from everybody's posts.

Now the time has come for me to use all that info on my own conversion.

I picked up a brand new Tracker Topper 1542 from the Bass Pro Shop and I began my conversion this weekend. Here is a list of what I am planning:

1. Front deck with storage and mounted seat.
2. Seats mounted on mid and rear bench.
3. Bilge pump.
4. Running lights and head lights.
5. Fish finder.
6. Auxiliary 12V outlet.
7. Rear deck with gas and battery concealed.
8. Carpeted floor.
9. Various items such as cup holders and rod holders etc.
10. Switch panel for all electric items with fuses.

I have a 5HP gas motor that I picked up used but was never used and is basically brand new and I bought a Minn Kota trolling motor as well for the times when I fish on electric only lakes.

Ok, so here are some pics of what I accomplished this weekend, the wiring was very time consuming and used up most of my weekend.

Here is the new boat.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

Here is the hole I cut for were all my wiring will go.

boat3.jpg

Here is the output of the bilge pump.

boat4.jpg

Wiring the headlights and front running lights.

boat5.jpg

Here is where all the wiring comes together.

boat6.jpg

Here is the gas and battery compartment with a fuse block for the trolling motor (as recommended by Minn Kota)

boat7.jpg

Here it is with the decking around it complete.

boat9.jpg

Here is the rear decking complete with the seat mount installed.

boat8.jpg

Here is a close up of the switch panel, fish finder and aux. outlet.

boat10.jpg

Next weekend I hope to complete the flooring and the front decking and the misc. items.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 5,548
Its looking good so far, keep it updated with pictures, I want to see how this turns out.

Thanks for the comments, I'll post more pics this weekend when the work will continue.

As far as the vent is concerned, I have a 2" x 4" cutout for the hose, so you think that is enough for venting or do you think I should open it up a bit more? Thanks for bringing this up, I almost forgot about that!

And, yes I do plan on taking it on the Delaware, but mostly on other lakes in my area.

Probably not. Fuel vapors that collect in the hatch area would be prone to any electrical spark. Portable tanks are not meant to be enclosed. The tank vent is usually built into the cap/gauge and there isn't a way to attach hose to extend it out of the enclosed area.

I'm going to reconfigure the rear hatch to better ventilate the gas can area....thanks for the tip. :D

Looking Good =D> . What are the front lights, spot or flood, LED or halogen? Looking for ideas to make mine better this time. Thanks

Well, I couldn't wait until the weekend...lol, I had a spare hour last night and started the framing for the front deck.

It was pretty nerve racking drilling into the bottom of a new boat, I screwed the "nailers" into the rib on the bottom of the boat. The rib arcs up about 1 inch and my screw goes into the rib about 1/2 inch, but I was still nervous that I would screw up (pun intended) and go right trough the bottom of the boat. :roll:

Here are 2 pics.

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

Novaman, I used small 55watt halogens I picked up at Walmart in the auto section.

I usually make a homemade drill stop so it can't go through. As you use the bit, it gets duller, so you excert more pressure, and your pull-back reflexs get slower. If the bit can't retract far enough in the chuck, I have made a spindle out of duck tape, or a small section of dowl rod. I drilled over 200 holes over the last couple of weeks. If I hadn't made a stop, I'm sure one of them would have maxed out my 1.5" buffer. ;)

I did use a drill stop, but it is still a bit disconcerting drilling into the bottom of a brand new boat... :shock:

Great progress so far and it looks great too.

Might I suggest moving the switch panel and accessory outlet off the deck top. One day someone will step on them, or worse yet water will pool on them. Then would be better protected in a box next to the fish finder. Take a look at the Alumacraft tiller model boats for some ideas.

Otherwise great work so far. =D>

freetofish said:
You park your boat in the laundry room???????????????? wow, oh maybe your single
nice boat.

Lol, no that is my garage (which also acts as a laundry room) and I am most definitely married.

I made some more progress yesterday, I had the day off and I completed the flooring and finished framing out the front deck. I should finish the front deck tomorrow. The last major item left is mounting the center seat. I am framing the perimeter of the center bench and it will have a plywood base that is hinged and opens up so that I can still use the livewell. Then I have some misc. items like rod holders etc and I have to mount the transducer for the fish finder.

Here are some more pics.

Flooring done.
boat2.jpg

Front deck framing.
boat1.jpg

Fire Ext. mounted.
fire.jpg

I used plastic washers and caps with all my decking so that I can conceal the screws, here is a closeup of what they look like.

cap.jpg

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 5,131
I finished all the major work this weekend, here are some pics.

Building the seat for the middle seat, my son was keeping me company with his legos...lol

I built the middle seat with a door that flips open so that I can still use and access the live well.

boata.jpg

boatb.jpg

boatc.jpg

boatd.jpg

boate.jpg

Here is the front deck with seat, cooler and 2 storage hatches and a cup holder.

boatg.jpg

boati.jpg

boath.jpg

The whole boat.

boatf.jpg

fool4fish1226 said:
Looks great =D> plus the locally brewed adult drink is a nice touch (Just guessing your in PA)

Yes I am located in the Pocono Mts. in Pa.

Thanks for the comment.

I'm actually heading down your way for 2 weeks on Saturday, I'm going down to the Keys for some BIG fishing! So my finishing touches on the boat will have to wait a few weekends.

PoconoBoss said:
fool4fish1226 said:
Looks great =D> plus the locally brewed adult drink is a nice touch (Just guessing your in PA)

Yes I am located in the Pocono Mts. in Pa.

Thanks for the comment.

I'm actually heading down your way for 2 weeks on Saturday, I'm going down to the Keys for some BIG fishing! So my finishing touches on the boat will have to wait a few weekends.

I will be in the keys the week of the 23rd also (work related but will have some free time). Good luck with your fishing should be a good time. Will it be your first trip to the keys?

I was born and raised in summerset county PA been in florida since 1987

Latest posts