Project "Livin Large" (update July 19 - rocket launchers!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the process of putting my Endura 55/36 on the bow, did you have any problems with the 2x4's being sturdy enough to hold the trolling motor bracket in place??? and in what position do you have the trolling motor when towing? last but not least what is a big foot switch and how does it work?

bassin026 said:
I am in the process of putting my Endura 55/36 on the bow, did you have any problems with the 2x4's being sturdy enough to hold the trolling motor bracket in place??? and in what position do you have the trolling motor when towing? last but not least what is a big foot switch and how does it work?
I used the Big-Foot switch for years on at least three boats. It's an on/off switch that is foot controlled. I wire it in-line on the negative side of my trolling motor. For the money, it's durable, lasts for years and is convenient. At rest, it remains in the off position but has a switch that will hold in continuous run position. If you are casting or your hands are otherwise occupied, and your trolling motor is pointing in the right general direction you can tap the Big Foot and move your boat as you continue the task at hand. I've had foot controlled and hand controlled trolling motors over the years and I get better control with the hand controlled plus the big foot at half the price. I also like to put an extension handle on my trolling motor. Of course this is just my opinion and everybody else is wrong.

bassin026 said:

Hey Bassin',

AS you can see from my thread, I first cut two 2x4's and bolted them to the bow. There was a lot of wobble from the torque of the motor and the bolts ended up coming loose. so, I removed one of the 2x4's and added some aluminum bracing for support and it is now as solid as a rock.

When I tow, I usually take the trolling motor right off. For a short trip I may leave it mounted on the bow in the "up" position.

A big foot switch is basically a foot-operated on/off switch for your transom mount trolling motor.

tccanoe said:
bassin026 said:
I used the Big-Foot switch for years on at least three boats. It's an on/off switch that is foot controlled. I wire it in-line on the negative side of my trolling motor. For the money, it's durable, lasts for years and is convenient. At rest, it remains in the off position but has a switch that will hold in continuous run position. If you are casting or your hands are otherwise occupied, and your trolling motor is pointing in the right general direction you can tap the Big Foot and move your boat as you continue the task at hand. I've had foot controlled and hand controlled trolling motors over the years and I get better control with the hand controlled plus the big foot at half the price. I also like to put an extension handle on my trolling motor. Of course this is just my opinion and everybody else is wrong.

x2

Thanks for all your advise, I had my local welder make a bracket this past Saturday, cost $25.00 a fantastic bargan , I never thought of taking the motor off, that's a great idea. I will look into a Big Foot Switch this evening and am also going to use an extension.
Againg thanks for all your help

You've done a great job... The trailer is espeically sweet. Came a long way from what it first looked like. Love the setup for the boat too. I couldn't help but notice in one of your initial photos of the boat, you had a nice cold glass of beer sitting on your bench seat. Now that's the way to work on your boat!!!

Keep up the good work man.

Bait, that is nice! I keep finding older posts here; hep me, hep me, this site is kicking me... (in a good way!). I love that older Evinrude. We used to have one very similar, it was a 1953 15 HP, and ran great. We had a 50s era 7.5 Evinrude also. Excellent motors.

You have any more recent photos? Also, now that it is getting cold up there, are you able to fish in winter? Or, I should say, or you able to use your boat in winter there? I know you can drive on the hard water and fish...

DuraCraft said:
Bait, that is nice! I keep finding older posts here; hep me, hep me, this site is kicking me... (in a good way!). I love that older Evinrude. We used to have one very similar, it was a 1953 15 HP, and ran great. We had a 50s era 7.5 Evinrude also. Excellent motors.

You have any more recent photos? Also, now that it is getting cold up there, are you able to fish in winter? Or, I should say, or you able to use your boat in winter there? I know you can drive on the hard water and fish...

Thanks DC. I don't have any more recent photos of the motor. It's now stored in the garage for the winter. The faster moving rivers around here stay open all winter and you can fish for steelhead and brown trout (if you can stand the cold!). I'm not planning on getting the boat out until Spring though.

Baitcaster, awesome job man. You look really happy out on the water on that baby. :D I had an 18HP just like that one, brings back memories for me. Do those floor mats stay in the boat while trailering? I got to get those, I hate carpet.

89Suburban said:
Baitcaster, awesome job man. You look really happy out on the water on that baby. :D I had an 18HP just like that one, brings back memories for me. Do those floor mats stay in the boat while trailering? I got to get those, I hate carpet.

Yep, I have no problem with the floor mats coming out on the highway or on the water.

Finally warmed up enough to do some work on the boat this weekend. I installed my Humminbird 798si and finished wiring the bilge pump, aerator and switch panel.

Some pics:

Attachments

• Photo13.jpg
    Photo13.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Photo11.jpg
    Photo11.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Photo10.jpg
    Photo10.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Photo8.jpg