Project Overkill (front deck waterproofed 8-15)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I got it at the "Industrial/commercial" branch. At the normal Sherwin Williams store, they didn't have anything durable enough...

Yes, next time i go over to my buddys house where the boat is stored, I'll get the name. Why do you ask? Please tell me its because you want to get some yourself and you aren't gonna tell me it won't work... [-o<

Paint is Sherwin Williams Macropoxy 646, with #15 reducer. Says industrial/marine coating. We took the outboard out on my friends 12ft V bottom. It was surprisingly fast, we didn't have the GPS, but I would say 20-22 mph with just me in it, my friend Shawn was like "No, no, you were doing like 35!" Haha. Idiot.

I am a big Sherwin Williams fan =D> . Have used there paints in residential, commercial and Industrial applications :D . Even 2 part epoxy paints. Never on a boat though. I am about to paint my tin and might give it a go. It is kinda pricey if you don't have a account with them.
https://www.sherlink.com/stores/ImgServ?id=datapages/macropoxy_646_fast_cure_epoxy_4-53.pdf

So I was gonna use the 1/2" ply I had cut earlier for the decks, but I kept going back to the post someone had about "Advantech". I went to Home Depot and the had the "Home Advantage" (supposedly the same stuff). If yall havent seen that post, its pretty interesting stuff. Its OSB, had supposedly has a 50 year warranty, and apparently the stuff can be submerged forever and not absorb any water or distort. We'll see. I got 23/32" (basically 3/4"). Its heavy, but I think I need some weight up front anyways. I got it cut yesterday for the front deck and sealed it with 3 coats of Helmsman Spar today. 2 big hatches in the front, both are going to open from the rear. The seat base is obviously not all the way down, but the front hatch will clear it when it is swung up. We got the back deck and hatches cut out, but I didnt think to take any pictures of it before we put the stuff back in the shed. I used Nomex panels for that, they are 1/2" thick. I'll take pics of them as soon as I go back over there.boat deck, from front..jpgboat deck, from rear.jpg

looking good man. I thought about using that Advantech, but they wouldn't guarantee it in a boat. Probably worth taking the chance to buy advantech since it was much cheaper than the marine grade that I bought.

Yeah man, Advantech was super cheap. $20 for a sheet of 3/4". I got the livewell pump drilled out back, got the spraybar drilled, drilled holes for the seat posts, and got the trailer registered yesterday, along with sending out for the boat registration. Hopeully I can get the platform made for the trolling motor this weekend. Really wish I had some carpet. Don't like the stuff at lowes or home depot at all.

How is the Sherwin Williams Macropoxy holding up after 4 years? I just applied the Macropoxy on my boat and am now waiting for it to fully cure before resuming the build, I used Macropoxy because I had it on hand for another project that never took place!

Thanks!

Latest posts