Project Overkill (front deck waterproofed 8-15)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SVOMike86 said:
Man, I simply cannot figure out how to change the title of a post. Makin me feel like a total ri-ri...

I think I know how. Go to your FIRST post on the thread, and click "edit". You can change it there.

Henry... That's what I was thinkin, and then I figured out my problem. I'm goin to the first post and hitting "write comments", not "edit". Makes sense... Thanks!
Huntinfool, thanks for the kind words...

Ok, so it has been a long, rough couple of months, but there is finally a light at the end of the
Tunnel. I was laid off from my job on May 2, but it was kinda a blessing in disguise, as the new
job is right up the street, and basically my overtime rate at the old place is the starting pay at
the new place. Time to get started on this **** boat again. :) I just got my Impeller and Carb
kit in the mail, so I might try to rebuild this motor this weekend, and I'm back in talks with my
old boss about powdercoat. Let's hope this pans out, and I'll let yall know how it goes...

Man, you have some good sources. I still have buddies working in the shipyards from our time spent in VB. I said good bye to pier 12 in 1983. Love your boat, good luck.

So the boat goes out tomorrow for paint. I didnt want to, but I objected (after considerable explanation) to powdercoat. I wanted this stuff so bad, but, my guy was saying that after a couple of years from possibly running shallow or onto the beach, i was gonna have to have it redone anyways, and to re-powdercoat it would have required signifigantly more sand blast time, unless I wanted to risk blowing holes somewhere in this old boat, paint would be the better option. Wow, what a **** run-on sentence. haha. Sooooo, I'm havin it painted instead. I'm gonna use the same 2-part epoxy that we use on the Navy boats, so it SHOULD be pretty durable...
On another note, I posted a couple days ago about rebuilding the carb and replacing the impeller on my '69 johnson 9.5hp. It started on the second pull the other day for the first time after sitting for years, and started on the first pull today. I don't know why I'm so impressed with that, I just am. I had it in a tank today, and shifted thru all the gears and it seemed to work fine. It gets very smooth when it is in the higher RPM range, which also seems good. I think if the weather drops below 100* this weekend, we might take it for a quick spin on my buddy's 12ft v-hull. Wish me luck...

So I met up with my buddy at the paint store and picked the color for the boat. Should look good. I have enough for the boat, motor hood, and leftover for touch up. Was thinkin about havin him paint the trailer too, but that might be too much blue. Maybe just black for that. I'll post pics as soon as the boat is in my possession again. :D

So here it is in all its blue glory. I had the boat and motor hood painted the same Sherwin Williams "Laser Blue". I think it turned out pretty nice.IMG00017-20100801-1015.jpgIMG00016-20100801-0932.jpg

Haha, yeah dude, things got a little rough earlier this year with layoffs, so the boat was on the back burner for a while. I finally got all the paperwork so I can get the boat and trailer
registered, still obviously got a lot of work to go, but its definitely coming together. Lake prince here I come...

"I" didn't apply anything:). A friend of mine sprayed it, a 1:1 epoxy primer, and a 1:1 epoxy
Paint. Let's hope it holds up as well as everyones saying it will. We put it on the trailer before it fully cured I think, and got a couple scuffs on it. Good thing I have plenty extra for touch ups:)

SVOMike86 said:
"I" didn't apply anything:). A friend of mine sprayed it, a 1:1 epoxy primer, and a 1:1 epoxy
Paint. Let's hope it holds up as well as everyones saying it will. We put it on the trailer before it fully cured I think, and got a couple scuffs on it. Good thing I have plenty extra for touch ups:)

With all the moving it in and out of my garage, there are scuff marks all over the place. I too have plenty to touch up, but it kills me everytime I see/make another one.

Where are you working now?

I'm working at BAE Systems in Greenbrier installing communications systems in Humvees to ship over to Afghanistan. Pretty fun stuff...