Project Overkill (front deck waterproofed 8-15)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we beat the sun going down tonight, and took a couple pics of the boat. This pic is basically the main structure of my deck supports. I borrowed the idea for the front deck from the Olive Drab Floater. Although I dont have a ton of experience with boats, I think thats probably the most efficient setup for convenience and practicality. There will be other braces put in as its welded, to go port and starboard from the about half way up the front for more support and for ledges for the hatches. The rear is basically just gonna be boxed in with two braces going across, two going down for each of those, and three going from front to back.top of boat, deck supports.jpg

This pic is roughly what the sponsons will look like once they are welded to the sides of the boat, obviously no gaps... I need to get some measurements, and I will hopefully be able to figure out exactly how much floatation these things are gonna add.complete side view, with sponsons.jpg

Next question is, with the sponson on the side, it doesnt leave me room to drill a hole in the side for my livewell overflow... Can the standpipe in the livewell be used as an overflow, or will it not let enough water out?? I dont think the standpipe is any bigger than 3/4" of an inch, but I could be wrong. Thanks for all the info guys...

Have you thought about raising the sponson off the bottom by 1/4" - 1/2"? That should help get it out of the water on plain and when your sitting it will sink back into the water and perform as intended. A standpipe setup like that is how overflows work in drilled aquariums with sumps so it will work the same in a "Portible aquarium" ;)

A standpipe in the drain will work as an overflow but I don't know how well it will work with the drain out the back of the boat and below the water level. I suspect that since your overflow is higher then the water level the water pressure in your livewell will be higher then the water pressure in the lake and allow the livewell to flow into the standpipe.

You think raising them would help? I'm down with anything that helps. As far as the livewell situation, I'm only really worried about the pump moving too much water in (500 gph). It won't be on constantly, I was just thinking it wouldn't drain fast enough...

SVOMike86 said:
As far as the livewell situation, I'm only really worried about the pump moving too much water in (500 gph). It won't be on constantly, I was just thinking it wouldn't drain fast enough...

Choke down the water flow with a valve on the OUTLET side of the pump. I bought a spray nozzle for mine that is adjustable. Do not use a valve to choke the INLET water to the pump, you can burn up the pump, it needs to always have water to it.

It works like a ball valve, yes, and you could use a ball valve, but it helps the oxygen level if it actually sprays as opposed to just flowing. Here is an example I just googled up: https://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=RULE_RUL_78&ID=2889555 This is not the one I have, but the principle is the same. I think I got mine on clearance at Academy Sports. I do use ball valves on my live well, but to change from fresh water to recirculate, not to control the amount of flow.

Ok, I gotcha. My system has a spray bar, and it may have a valve I can adjust on it, I'll have to check tomorrow. Thanks!

Ok, so I'm FINALLY (hopefully) getting this dang thing welded up saturday afternoon and sunday. If that goes according to plan, which I'm not getting my hopes up for, powdercoat should be done in the next couple of weeks. all you guys should keep your fingers crossed for me [-o<
On another note, my work may be sending me out to San Diego for a couple or three weeks in the middle of march. Anyone live out there? I'm definitely tryin to get my first 10 pounder while I'm out there. I know Castaic is out there, but I'm tryin to fish Dixon, which has given up some MONSTERS in the past couple years.

So... I got the boat to the welders house, thinkin everythings cool. Everything is NOT cool, apparently. The welder, who has seen pictures of what I am trying to do, and has agreed to do everything, has now decided he doesn't want to weld on the sponsons. AND, he wants to charge me the same price to do just the inside braces that I wanted to pay to do the whole thing. I know he's gonna do a great job on it, but this sucks. I might still be able to get my buddies school to weld them on but not sure now if I want some kids welding something on that has to be watertight. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Total let down... :(

There is no way he would get any of my business. I am in a service industry, and have customers ask for me personally, even when I have changed companies, because they know that I give them 100%. Maybe because of this, I am a hard customer to please. I can understand mistakes, but I will not abide dishonesty. If he had quoted a price, then backed out of it, I would have left with my money and my boat. The way I look at it, if he is a liar, he may also be a thief. Maybe he just gave you the good price to get you to his shop, and never intended to keep his word. Bait and switch is a tool of dishonest people. Good luck!

Where abouts do you live? Maybe someone can recommend a welder.

Well, I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and there are plenty of competant welders in the area, it's just that all of them need time, more money, or materials; which I'm not against helping with. The guy thats welding on the boat right now is one of the better welders in the area, hence the reason i didn't just pull the boat out of his yard when he spouted the "new" prices... In his defense, it is a LOT of welding to get these sponsons on. Based on what i see at the ship yard on a daily basis, I would say its at least 10 hours of welding, and with the money he gets paid an hour working, I can see where he's coming from... Only thing is, why couldn't he see it in the pics, as I showed him what needed to be done at least 3 times... Again, oh well...

gotcha...

you may put your location in your profile (user control panel, top left) so it appears under your name. There are quite a few Viginia folks on here. Maybe someone knows someone. 10 hrs is a lot of work, and to answer your question about why the price change.....

Did you ask him what was different from him seeing the pics and in person?

Guess he just wasn't thinkin about it... A jon boat pic on a cell phone apparently isn't as big as it is in real life. Haha

SVOMike86 said:
Ok, I gotcha. My system has a spray bar, and it may have a valve I can adjust on it, I'll have to check tomorrow. Thanks!

If your fill is coming from a spray bar, you should have no problem using the standpipe as your overflow (matter of fact, that is what the standpipe is there for).

I agree with Henry, when I quote a price, first I look at the job, and if the job has not changed from when the price was quoted I never change the price unless I lower it). Materials or not if I made a mistake it was not yours. If I have to eat mac and cheese that week so be it. That is customer service.

So I got the boat back from the welder and it looks great. Minus the sponsons of course... I've got pics on my blackberry, so I'll try to upload them. He changed the design of the front deck for structural reasons, and I can live with it... We put the boat on the water yesterday to check for leaks and got perfect results, didn't see any water at all after an hour of cruisin around. We took it to a lake right behind where I grew up, and my dad still lives there, so I had him come check it out. He took some video as we were goin along the bank, maybe he'll post it to youtube. Anyways, we threw some old ply on the supports just so we wouldn't be tripping anywhere, and I think that even without the sponsons on it, I could run around this thing without worry. Feels solid as a rock with two people on it, and with 3 on it, its like a barge. That sucker aint going nowhere. Now on to the next dilemma. I could send this thing to powdercoat next weekend, but the weather is finally cooperating and bedding may start next weekend. Looks like I may be fishing from a bare aluminum tin for at least a while...

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 692
  • front%20to%20back.jpg
    front%20to%20back.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 692

Latest posts