The truth about Bait casters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Revo's. I own the base model S all the way through the mgx. Im yet to purchase a rocket but its gonna happen. ;) But a bait castor gives so many different options. Tons of gear ratios, sizes, braking options, flipping options and once learned, they in my option are more acurate when casting and they handle differnt types of lines better. I think there are many more Casting rod options available for baitcastors than compared to spinning rods. now a spinning reel has its place but its really apples and oranges.Really depends on what type of fishing as well...

I never heard of a reel that is tangle proof. Most people new to low pro baitcasters have a lot of problems because A) You have to give it a chance, like with anything you will not be an expert after 10 casts and B) learning to throw a BC is 10x harder when using a cheapo reel. Not exactly sure why but cheap baitcasters are far more likely to backlash than more refined models. Do you need to fork up for a metanium to see if its for you? No, but atleast put out 150-180 bucks on a descent lews or a curado. Anything worth doing comes with a little work and practice. I encourage you to give it a shot.
SGT R.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345390#p345390 said:
onthewater102 » 19 Mar 2014, 09:08[/url]"]Reels, especially baitcasting reels, are pieces of machinery and should not rely on plastic parts.

AMEN, Brother!!!!

Start off by disabling the magnetic brake (opposite the drag star). Then with your lure tied on tighten the freespool resistance knob (same side as the drag star and reel crank) to that your lure will not drop when the spool is released. Then slowly ease off the freespool knob until the lure is just able to fall to the ground - the spool should stop when it gets there.

Here's a great short video on this that anyone new to baitcasters should see.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-videos/adjust-baitcasting-baitcaster.html

When I was 10 my Dad gave me an old Lews Childre Speed Spool bb1-L 2 ball bearing reel. It was an old reel but it was perfect to learn with. The reel at that point in time hadn't been used that much so the majority of the wear put on that reel was by me ( it is now worn out but still useable ). I have since become an Abu Garcia fanatic. I own an 06 model 5500 C3, 2 90's 5600 C4's, an old red 5000, 90's 4600 C3, 5600 Pro Max 5 ball bearing, 6600 Pro max 8 ball bearing ( not for sure how my local Abu dealer got it but it was mint for being a 93 model ), 7000i C3, Royal Express II ( 6600 cage with 3 ball bearings & a 6:3:1 gear ratio ) and 4 low profiles ( black max, Silver Max, Hank Parker Special 7 bearing reel, 2005 LP 5 bearing reel ). These aren't all of the bait casters I own just my favorites. When $$$ allows I plan on super tuning a few of them so I can cast farther with less effort. I am a fan of spinning reels to but I have only one of quality right now which is my Pfluger supreme 10 ball bearing reel. All of my reels are right handed. I am trying to learn with my Pfluger handel switched to the left side. I believe if a person can fish equally as good with either hand that that will make them a better fisherman but it's hard to do; so I will continue to practice until I master it.

baitcasters are great, i have been using them for close to 45 years..... always abu garcia they seem to always get the job done. take your time and its mainly in the spool brake, set it so your weight can be let free at about 6ft up and hit the floor and not backlash ... this is how i taught my oldest son when he was 10 .. once you get the hang of it, you probably won't want to use anything else!!

I used to only use spinning tackle. Have a few bait casters in the collection now.

The Abu round reels are fantastic for hauling in big cats or other big fish. I want to try a new low pro for bass and pike.

They each have a time and a place where they excel. It is fun trying new things and testing out gear.

Latest posts