What good is a spare if you don't have a jack to change it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had the misfortune of having a blowout on his first trip with his new/old boat. He had a spare but the jack from his truck wouldn't work with the trailer so he had to go get one that would. I was just wondering, do people have to carry a separate jack for the trailer? This weekend I am going to check to see if the jack in my truck will work, in case of a blowout or flat. What do you guys do?

It's not just the jack you have to be concerned about. You'll also need to be sure you have a lug wrench or other method of removing the lug nuts from the trailer. There is a better than average change that they are not the same size as the ones on your tow vehicle. I carry a 4 way lug wrench besides the stock lug wrench in my truck just for that reason. I also made sure the jack for my truck will work on my trailer.

I have a small floor jack and a breaker bar with 3/4" and 13/16" sockets.

I have a small floor jack and a breaker bar with 3/4" and 13/16" sockets.

+1

Always was a fan of floor jacks and breaker bars along with some scrap boards, makes changing flats fast and less time consuming.

The jack from my truck and the 4 way lug wrench will work to change a tire on my boat trailer.

Unfortunately....I learned this from experience. #-o

I carry a 4-way and the bottle jack in the truck.

Also have onboard air, and a patch kit on hand. I carry an adjustable wrench and a set of vice grips in the truck too, at all times. Tow strap, maps, and a change of underware...........I'll stop there, but when pulling a trailer, you need to be prepared for many things.

Fishhook

You can always .
1. Use a rock to block up axle, dig a hole remove flat tire and install the spare.
2. Carry wood if your not in a rocky state, same as above.
3. Carry a jack , get a cheap sissor style jack small and light to carry and store away.

A 4-way lug wrench.

CrewCab59 said:
You can always .
1. Use a rock to block up axle, dig a hole remove flat tire and install the spare.
2. Carry wood if your not in a rocky state, same as above.
3. Carry a jack , get a cheap sissor style jack small and light to carry and store away.

A 4-way lug wrench.

I guess you need to carry a shovel to dig that hole? And hopefully the ground is not frozen - HAW

Many different ways to dig a hole.
1. find a pot hole ( everybody has those )
2. drive into a ditch

the list goes on :lol:

the first thing i did when i bought my truck was to get a good bottle jack,and i picked up a folding 4 way folding lug wrench just for the boat..

Fortunately, all the jacks in three tow vehicles work on the both boat trailers. I do carry a 1/2" breaker bar with two sockets taped to it, one for the tow vehicle and one for the boat trailers. I hate those four way lug wrenches.

I have tool box any always keep a floor jack, a 4way tire wrench, test light extra bulbs, trailer plugs, test light, and wrench to tighten nut on hitch ball with me.

Not only for for trailers, but it makes changing tire on pickup or helping other motorist in need lot easier and faster.

My truck jack will lift the trailer and I carry a 4-way also. Another thing to remember to check is once a month check to make sure your spare is aired up. I've never had it happen on a trailer but I have had a flat on my truck and found out the spare was flat also.

I'm with the 4 way and bottle jack gang, also carry wood blocks( 2pcs. 2 x 12 x 12), and fix-a-flat in truck box. Unfortunately, I've had to use them more than once, when I bought a trailer to rebuild to sell. Just goes with the territory :roll:

Interesting concept but I'm wondering how you could work that if you were by yourself. I don't see what would hold it to the axle or what keeps it from sliding/scooting on the pavement as you pull the trailer forward.

Ringo Steele said:
Anybody use one of these types?
They work fine for lighter trailers, I don't know about some of the heavier boats. I have one left over from when cars had bumper jacks and would not work on my RV. The trailer was was only 16' long and this jack worked fine.

Once when my travel trailer had a flat and no jack. I unhitched the trailer, ran the jack on the tongue all the way down, blocked under the rear bumper and cranked the tongue jack all the way up. It got the tire high enough to change the tire. Now my car jack works fine on my boat.

On some of my lighter Jons I cut piece of 2" X 4" and cut a v-notch on one end. Just put the v-notch under to axle and drive forward till tire is off the ground, change and drive off very slowly. This works great if off road.

No Jack No Problem . . .

. . . this is what I carry . . . a 2x4

Attachments

• NoJackNoProblem.JPG
    NoJackNoProblem.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 765

Latest posts