i have gained so much confidence doing this project.i now know everything about my boat as far as routing, design and repair access. this g3 is built like a tank. all decking is 3/4'' wood and the deck frame is welded 1x2. it is also very easy to work on. i completly took it apart with a phillips srcew drive and boxcutter.
at this point all carpet and wood is out exept the floor. you can see in this photo the left corner shows where the deck meets the rodlocker.
im cutting a oval hole for the rod holder on the outside. then im taking out the plate and foam block on that side so i can put a 8'rod in the main locker and a 7' in the new holder.
i am not taking foam out ofnthe boat. im put i somewhere out of the way and as close to were it came as possible to keep the factory ballance.im also adding foam in some to so it should be better than i found it.
the factory glue on the metal was rubbery and tough. you could grab it with pliers and it would stretch 6'' before it broke.
here im playing with stuff to get rid of the glue on the metal.
i tried paint thinner,gas,paint stripper,goof off,wd40 and pb blaster. pb was best. i would spray it on hit it witha wire brush on a drill then wipe with a gas rag. it was slow and a went through my pb blaster quick.
then i struck gold...... xylene. put in a old windex bottle sprayed it on. let it sit a minute use a scraper then wipe clean with a rag.
rather just ripping out the floor carpet and wood i trimmed the carpet to the size of the new floor. i then scratched it hard with wood chissel then spraypainted the edge
i thought it might have drainage problem as the floor never truely dried.and by what i found under the front storage tub.
raised the jack as high as possible and it went nowhere......and heres why.
g3 didnt think giving the water anywhere to go was need in a boat! the metal pipe in the photo is the drain for the port livewell. just below the photo bottom it is aluminum plate on top of the foam till 4'' from the transom. so it presents a extra challenge
this concludes tear-down and my photo supply at this point.
i have fixed the drainage issues and hope to start building friday.
updates with more photos friday night or saturday.