2012 Tracker 1542 Conversion (In Progress)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNfisherman

Reaction score
After looking around and gathering ideas for my jon boat for probably the past year or so on this site, I have finally found the time to mod my 1542. I bought this boat with the intention to modify it but just now was able to have a break from school in order to do so. My plans for this boat are similar to Leelats and Franner's builds with a front deck between the front and middle bench seat, along with a floor between the middle bench seat and back bench seat and side panels running from the middle bench seat to back bench seat. I have already made a little progress so far and am just about done with the framing aspect for the front deck. I'm taking a summer class right now so I won't be able to make any more progress until next week, but I thought I might as well post what have that way I can get your guys opinions on future problems i'm sure to run into :? .

Aluminum angle riveted to each bench seats (BTW all angle used is 1 1/2" x 1/4" and all rivets are 3/16")

Instead of having my angle on the bottom attached to the ribs, i decided to attach them to the actual floor of the boat to improve stability. I ran bolts through the ribs flat pieces that had space underneath that way nothing was actually through the hull of the boat.
Had to do some fanangllin to get that bolt in there but finally did by drilling a hole, cutting the metal piece it sits on, bending it back sliding bolt in, and bending metal back to flat. It didn't effect the integrity of the ribs and is just as solid as before. ( Tracker's paint is really put on to last...:| )

Horizontal pieces ran and riveted ( You can see how the bolts secure the angle to the floor in this picture)

Because the front bench seat is angled a bit its self, when i riveted the aluminum angle to it, it didn't sit evenly with the middle bench seat angle. BUT...even though it has a small space, it was still easily riveted and is solid. BTW you can see in this picture how i cut the angle to fit on top of the other angle pieces.

Here is all the framing including the vertical supports. Once i got the hang of riveting and fitting each piece of angle inside one another it was a pretty easy process aside from measuring those vertical supports to where they were supporting but not making the metal bulge out. But like i said this is what i have so far and I am kinda surprised how solid structurally it turned out.i will definately be working on it in the upcoming week as soon as class is over. Before i begin working again though, i have a couple of questions. First off, I will probably use 19/32" plywood for the deck and put a few coats of this stuff on it:

Before i coat it in that though, I would like to put some sort of waterproof filler in the knot holes in the plywood because i feel like that and the edges is where water is the most likely to be absorbed and ruin the wood so i went to HD today and saw these two items and was wondering if either one of these would work to seal knot holes before putting on the spar varnish or if i even need to seal these knot holes aside from the spar varnish

Been tryin to plan lately where the batteries and what not will go. Decided on the Elmer's Wood Filler to fill the holes and notches in the plywood before sealing. I am thinking of putting the two batteries (one for the TM and one for everything else) on each side of the boat as you can see in the picture. Also, as you can see, i got most of the wood cut except for the side boxes and the back bench. Decided to go with 3/4" on the floor, 19/32" on the front deck, and 15/32" on everything else. Also forgot to take pictures of this but i put closed cell foam underneath floor to add support for it in between ribs. More to come soon.

Looks good man. =D> =D> =D>

Where you fishing in Nashville? I hit the TN river near I-40 this July, water was up and moving so not too many fish. My buddies did pretty well on some smallmouth on the Buffalo though.

Appreciate it. Yeah I don't think it's quit rainin this summer in TN. I've seen creeks in my town I didn't even know we're there lol. But anyways I usually fish old hickory or Priest.