New Guy New Project "My first one"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugpac

Reaction score
New guy From GA, Bought this boat a week or so ago, doing a overhaul and few mods to suit my liking, Plan was to Bedliner the exterior, Been getting some flack about that, anyone done this? give me any yas or neys, id like to hear them... Some say it adds drag, Technicaly can not be proven IMO, They have begun texturing surfboards, and top fuel boats as they claim it add less drag, Anyhow, I like the durability qualitys of the bedliner, as well as its thickness and epoxy based sytem, It is UV stable and Waterprrof... So here is the project, Let me hear it :)

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 7,795
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 7,795
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 7,795
  • 006 [640x480].JPG
    006 [640x480].JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 7,795
  • 008 [640x480].JPG
    008 [640x480].JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 7,795
awsome looking boat that will be a great rig...those on here use a product called steelflex and it is better than bedliner...where in georgia are you

I agree I would use steelflex or another paint and not the bed liner. I like the boat looks very similar to the one i just picked up. Good Luck

Winder Ga, I was reading up on Glove-it, and it is almost identical from what i see to the bedliner, except it doesnt have the rubber for texture. I have to mix in the rubber for texture, I may leave it out, Thought was the texture will look much better...

Hey man - Welcome Aboard!

I wouldn't use the bedliner... it will still chip and rub off when you drag it over rocks - just look at the bed in my truck if you want proof... and it's LineX.

Another guy on here - and from Bassresource.com, LBH (Low Budget Hookerz), painted the bottom of his boat with it and he said it caused drag and the bottom all scratched off after not that much use.

I would use the SteelFlex if you really need it... that stuff is slick as glass

Nice boat,great job sanding her down.
Why the need for bedliner or even steelflex,,,afraid it might leak?
Is it a 16'?

Zum said:
Is it a 16'?

I am certain i will leak, its a 89, had a broken rib in the center someone repaired, The bottom has been welded in that area as well, didnt really see it till i got the floor out and paint stripped..... 16' Polar craft modified v..

Bugpac said:
The center of my transom is 21" what should i be looking for length wise in a outboard, and in a trolling motor?
You will need a long shaft outboard.
Putting the TM in the stern or bow?
I have around the same size boat,with a bow mount powerdrive TM.The shaft is around 46 inches(total length approx.59"s).I would like to have a foot cut off it easily(probably more),it gets in the way at times.
I hear that steelflex is good stuff,little tricky to work with but does a good job.

Bugpac said:
Zum said:
Is it a 16'?

I am certain i will leak, its a 89, had a broken rib in the center someone repaired, The bottom has been welded in that area as well, didnt really see it till i got the floor out and paint stripped..... 16' Polar craft modified v..

Have you set the boat on the trailer and put some water in the boat to see if it leaks anywhere? Just a thought. :)

Waterwings said:
Bugpac said:
Zum said:
Is it a 16'?

Have you set the boat on the trailer and put some water in the boat to see if it leaks anywhere? Just a thought. :)

Yes 1 rivet was leaking. Had some goober patch on the bottom were it was fixed up, probbaly 8 - 12 oz of crud to patch a little crack, and 2 rivets, Have not checked since i removed the crud... No so much now as later, sealing now should prevent later rivets leaking, Correct?

Zum said:
Bugpac said:
The center of my transom is 21" what should i be looking for length wise in a outboard, and in a trolling motor?
You will need a long shaft outboard.
Putting the TM in the stern or bow?
I have around the same size boat,with a bow mount powerdrive TM.The shaft is around 46 inches(total length approx.59"s).I would like to have a foot cut off it easily(probably more),it gets in the way at times.
I hear that steelflex is good stuff,little tricky to work with but does a good job.
So 40" would be plenty for a bow mount? Haven't decided to put a transom mount or a gas motor on the back yet...

Another question, I dont like the alum floor, it is flimsy, also when they repaired the ribe they welded on top of it, so the height is all goobered now, was thinking of adding wood to the bottom to make the floor level and decking with plywood, I see a lot of guys using regular ol non treated wood, what is the dos and donts of decking when it comes to wood...

Bugpac said:
Another question, I dont like the alum floor, it is flimsy, also when they repaired the ribe they welded on top of it, so the height is all goobered now, was thinking of adding wood to the bottom to make the floor level and decking with plywood, I see a lot of guys using regular ol non treated wood, what is the dos and donts of decking when it comes to wood...

As you know aluminum outlasts it all, but may corrode. Pressure treated wood is not to be used since there are trace amounts of metal in the wood that will corrode with aluminum over time (not ever time, but likely down the road). The guys you see on this site (myself included) are using regular wood but with a quality water sealer - went with Thompson's and Behr's myself. It is cheaper than PT wood and lighter too. Should last a while if you do it right. Then there is marine wood, but that's too rich for my blood.

ober51 said:
Bugpac said:

As you know aluminum outlasts it all, but may corrode. Pressure treated wood is not to be used since there are trace amounts of metal in the wood that will corrode with aluminum over time (not ever time, but likely down the road). The guys you see on this site (myself included) are using regular wood but with a quality water sealer - went with Thompson's and Behr's myself. It is cheaper than PT wood and lighter too. Should last a while if you do it right. Then there is marine wood, but that's too rich for my blood.

I agree.I put exterior grade 3/4 inch plywood floors on a pontoon 17 years ago.The only thing I did was seal it with Thompsons and used marine grade carpet.The floors are still in great shape and the boat stays docked unless it goes to another lake or needs motor repair.