71' 12ft Valco Project - In progress!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
How's it goin' everyone? Got the transom sealed using spar varnish...still waiting on the motor. Today I put the first coat of paint on the inside of the boat, here are a few before and after pictures. The green paint is self etching primer. For the top coat I used a two part gray semi-gloss epoxy. What you think?

I guess ill start cutting polystyrene to fit in seats for flotation. I really need the trolling motor to see how far back the bracket will be, this will set the trolling motor pedal, which will be recessed into the deck. That will dictate the location of everything else behind it. I need fuel tank and battery as well.

Before the paint job...

After the paint job...

This picture shows the aluminum transom stiffener I made. The old aluminum was cracked at the top, i figure an extra layer of aluminum wont hurt. It is hemmed under the existing flange and was smashed together, it then comes up 90 and back down 90 to the back of the transom. I used aluminum tinners rivits to hold it in place....

Here is the new transom board, its 3/4" ply glued to 1/2" ply, i used gorilla glue. After that I sanded and applied about 5 coats of spar varnish.

I am a little jealous you have yours painted. Haha. I really have to take mine down to the car wash and vacuum all the sanded and old transom crap out so I can wipe it down and do my paint too.

It looks great. I don't think I am going with the epoxy, but it sure is nice looking.

Your valco letters on front look to be in a lot better shape than mine. Mine are almost flat...I assume from anchor damage the past thirty years.

Jdholmes said:
I am a little jealous you have yours painted. Haha. I really have to take mine down to the car wash and vacuum all the sanded and old transom crap out so I can wipe it down and do my paint too.

It looks great. I don't think I am going with the epoxy, but it sure is nice looking.

Your valco letters on front look to be in a lot better shape than mine. Mine are almost flat...I assume from anchor damage the past thirty years.
Thanks for the compliments! Yea, I had to go buy a pressure washer...i thought it might be a good investment. Be sure to use that self etching primer whenever painting aluminum.

Jdholmes said:
Hey, thanks. I found the finger method was the very best way to get nice lines in household molding, but that is water based. I figured the 5200 was oil based and the water trick wouldn't work. Sounds good!
Water or oil based, works on both! If you get a spray bottle and spray around where you dont want the caulking. This helps keep it from sticking as well.

Got the livewell fabricated out of stainless steel. Dimensions are 9" x 28" x 10" tall. Works out to about 11 gallons. I also remade some new side supports, I used 1" x 1/4" stainless flatbar. Check it out.

I think I will be painting the outside of the seat supports dark grey. It looks pretty nice when I hold my sample piece up there. It will be epoxy semi gloss too.

How's your progress coming?

Got my berliner painted on and the transom ready to go back in...

Jdholmes said:
How's your progress coming?

Got my berliner painted on and the transom ready to go back in...
Going good, I got the second coat of epoxy on yesterday. That stuff is thick man, tears apart the rollers and stuff. Right at the end of the paint job, the roller started fallin apart and stickin to the paint. Ill be able to fix it tho....i just got to sand it down a bit and apply a little more paint (in one spot)

Sweet. Looking forward to pics. My wife put the halt on spending for a little bit...so I may not make much more progress fr a week or two.

Here are a few pictures to show the seats/deck/carpet and exterior...Ive rebuilt the transom gusset since these were taken.

Got the third coat of 2 part epoxy on today. I think i may paint the outside walls of the seats dark gray...should match with the color scheme i got going. You guys think I should paint the wood transom? Its already sealed for water. The paint would just help everything match....

Oh, by the way, I vote for not painting the transom. I am leaving mine...I like seeing a little bit of wood grain on a boat.

Jdholmes said:
Oh, by the way, I vote for not painting the transom. I am leaving mine...I like seeing a little bit of wood grain on a boat.
I just posted these to have the idea of whats goin on in this thread. Yes, the inside has been painted....

I was thinking the same thing about the wood grain.

Looking good. =D>

That metal working experience must come in handy. The transom and livewell look great.

I painted my transom just because it looked a little off with the white paint around it. My deck only let the top part of the transom wood show through and I didn't like the way it looked.

I think yours would look good without any paint.

Brine said:
Looking good. =D>

That metal working experience must come in handy. The transom and livewell look great.

I painted my transom just because it looked a little off with the white paint around it. My deck only let the top part of the transom wood show through and I didn't like the way it looked.

I think yours would look good without any paint.
Hey thanks for stopping by, hopefully the pictures out of order didnt screw you up....I just posted the recent ones to show carpet and stuff. Well I'm off to go fishing....ill be back with progress.

I won a fishfinder today from a user here on tinboats.net I just need to fix a cable. Alrighty JD here ya go!

I have the carpet just sitting there to show color scheme. What you think? I think i will fix the 2 x 4's that hold the boat on the trailer today. Ill use the gray carpet I have.

I received the fish finder today, both the transducer and power cable were cut in half. I fixed it and it works great. Take a look!

1-5.jpg

I put transducer in salt water tank for the readings. The lcd is a bit distorted due to the flash on the camera.