Who still makes tilt trailers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nccatfisher said:
I have had three tilt boat trailers and all had a latch that was spring loaded on a cam... I have seen some with the pin, but they were on the el cheapo trailers.

The cam designs I've seen require a notch be cut out of the sidewall of the tongue, requiring heavier tongue material to have the same strength as a lighter tube for the trailer frame with only a hole drilled through it. I don't see that securing on heavier equipent trailers, so I don't think its a quality difference.

I just scored a nice Spartan tilting trailer under a 14 footer in Arizona. I'm only going to play with it until spring and then sell it so if you want to trade for somthing I can sell under a 14 footer I'll trade even. You know you wanted a trip to see the Grand Canyon and lake Powell so come get it. It's got to have a title.

I have a tilting trailer for back lakes ( ATV access only) fishing..it is indispensable at a shallow launch.. my other boat which is only used on good launches is solid and I wouldn't need the tilt if it had it..

It's all in what you need it to do and where you are launching the boat

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I inherited my grandfather’s 14’ Sears Jon. It was on a tilting trailer that has integral wheels and hubs. There is no separate hub: the wheel contains the bearings and races. I was never quite sure what I was supposed to do if I ever had a flat :)

I found the tilting feature quite useful when launching that boat at a number of rampless ponds and lakes. Boat launching consisted of finding a spot on the shore that would let you back close enough to the water and then hoping for the best. That trailer didn’t have a pin, it just tilted with the center of gravity of the boat went back far enough. It was always exciting waiting for the moment when the horizontal bow decided it was time to go vertical!

Unfortunately that one has failed the test of time. I tried to move it out of the weeds last year and the winch tower pulled loose from the frame.

I agree with what others have posted: it would be fairly easy for a competent fabricator to convert a standard trailer to tilt.

If I was a weld shop, I wouldn't touch it (custom tilt) due to liability concerns.

They usually focus on bringing items back to original design parameters.

you could have a tongue extension welded on and lower the bunks. Go with a drop axle I just got a drop axle to lower my trailer down for shallow launches haven't got it on yet just got it the other day.

Another option is to have a tongue extension made like what's used when launching into the surf. Check it out on YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Continental Trailers still makes galvanized tilt trailers. They're down here in FLA but make have a dealer your way.

I seen these on amazon. May be a option to your tilting trailer. Search

Roxom 5 Foot Boat Trailer Bunks with 45 Degree Bend

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190209-143717_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190209-143717_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 507
Tee Nee trailers. Don't know if they are still in business. I have one, and I made it a non tilt. To much of a hassle. Lower bunks and 8 " tires.

Another alternative would be a tongue extension so the trailer can back further into the water. I might get one of these myself, as I use a very shallow ramp & it drive me nut to have to get my truck's rear brakes wet.