HDPE Bunk Board Material - Cheap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
After reading and researching HDPE material for bunk board slats, I located the following site that will cut custom sizes and round the edges free. You can order 1/2", 3/4" or 1" material. The prices are the best I've found and certainly far cheaper than the places you buy them already made/advertised as bunk board slats/slides/covers, etc. This company custom cuts the material in several colors made for cutting boards. As an example, I found one place that wants $17.25 for a 1/2"x3"x54", plus shipping - and that is far cheaper than most others - but, no custom sizing.

This place only wants $12.15 for the same exact size, plus reasonable shipping, and will cut any size you want. I'm planning on measuring the length of my bunks and ordering 3 1/2" for the whole length.

Just go here and put in your dimensions, thickness, color and you get the price right then.

https://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/custom.asp

I was walking through the shopping mall this winter and by accident I seen a guy carrying a sheet of 2 by 4 foot pvc(teflon?)cutting board.He works as a meat cutter and was throwing it out,said store policy was to replace them every 4 months.I took it off his hands....might be a good place to look for some cheap bunk covers.Big retail chains should all have them.

The ones I ordered came today. They look great, nice quality cuts and rounded edges. All I have to do is drill/counter-sink the hole and they're ready to go :D I ordered four, 4' pieces - my bunks are 8' long and I didn't want to pay extra shipping for 8' lengths of cutting-board. Total with shipping was $69.10. Not as cheap as I thought it would be, but I didn't know I had 8' bunks at the time I was pricing this stuff....

I'm looking to use this stuff on the bottom of my transom as a place to attach all transducers, other electronics, etc. What is the thickness I woudl want - 1/2, 3/4, or 1"? I was thinking 3/4" and then a piece that is 5 inches by 10 inches. I would then attached that to the boat and attach items to that rather than keep drilling new holes.

Anyone have pictures on how to attach this stuff to the transom?

Do I counter sink screws? Any tips would be good before I buy.

ober51 said:

Would 3M 5200 work?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
ober51 said:

Would 3M 5200 work?

I heard you have to groove the material and then clamp it somehow. I will likely screw it in, just waiting to buy a strip, procrastination at its finest.

The HDPE cuts easily with all your wood working tools. Cuts like butter, but a butter knife won't cut it. :mrgreen:

Latest posts