Connector shopping finished wiring harness ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyatts dad

Reaction score
Just about ready to begin wiring and want to come up with a good tight and servicable method of connecting the many smaller items with a clean and neat custom wiring harness. I have yet to install a bunch of courtesy lite LEDs, a fused blade type switch panel, running lights, depth finder etc. What is bugging me is I really hate to use standard spade or pin connectors and would like to find a decent two prong connector so that pos and neg would be fool proof and water tight much like those under your auto hood. I used to believe in soldering of everything, but experience over the years and some research confirms that that just leads to accelerated corrosion. I figger on using lots of heat shrink, just want a nice two pin connector for various stuff. I was hoping to see some pics of what others heave done for some ideas, any good pics out there?

don't have pics., but if you have access to a u-pull it, you can cut those auto connectors off that you mentioned, and use them. I have a buddy that used them on his boat.

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

This worked for me:
Pre-maid switch panel. Got from mine from cabelas. Wired accessory grounds to a 6 gang bus bar that is wired to battery. Wire positive from battery to switch panels positive. Auto parts stores are good places to find the waterproof splices and connectors.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

This worked for me:
Pre-maid switch panel. Got from mine from cabelas. Wired accessory grounds to a 6 gang bus bar that is wired to battery. Wire positive from battery to switch panels positive. Auto parts stores are good places to find the waterproof splices and connectors.

What kind of conduit did you route your wiring in and can we see that?

Check out a site called DIYautotune.com

Look under "products" for something called "weather pack kits"

These are the delphi multi-pin connector kits, with 1, 2, 3 and 4 wire connectors. Complete with all pins and seals, as well.

These are the same type of connectors you see used on vehicles and on outboard engines. If you want a professional look, THIS is the way to go!

Unknown.jpeg

Thanks for the replies, after some more looking it is looking like this sort of splce may be the way to go (heat shrink low temp solder splace, check it out. I dont know why anybody would do their wiring without sorting out and finding some of these basic items like the swich panels and buss bars, sure are a way to simplify and prevent trouble. I still have not found any connector plugs that seem waterproof and would not break the bank. The polarized molded things look great but I guess not reasonable for a small boat app. It seems the most reasonable way to go is the ancor products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FjjIVpk9U&feature=related