1 or 2 Batteries for my new rig ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerfan88

Reaction score
I bought a new Alumacraft 1442 Jon and am in the process of setting it up. My plans are simple : 2 men fishing with moderate gear/tackle/cooler etc., one 55# Minn Kota 12v trolling motor, 15hp Yamaha pull start engine, navigation lights and one depth/fish finder. I'm keeping things real simple here. Would it be wise to have two (#24)batteries on board or just one big (#29 or #31) battery ? I like the idea of security of having two batteries BUT is it really needed with my simple plans ? I want to be able to fish 6-10 hours at a time. I would NOT be using the troller the whole time....just here and there to get around slowly while cast fishing for bass. Also.....should I invest in a varable speed trolling motor or just the standard 5 speed ?

I like a two battery set up - Dedicate one to the TM and the other to the engine and other electronics. In a pinch you can swap them around (or put a sector switch on them)

Given your motor is a pull start, i would normally say one battery is enough, BUT with a 12v 55#, that will definetly tax your battery. More so if its a 5 speed as opposed to a digital control, because the 5 speed uses the same draw at each speed, whereas a 'smart' one will actually vary the draw and use less. A single 31 may do it. You could always start with that and see how it goes, then add if necessary.

You should go with two batteries like Capt. said. Definitely nice to switch out if need be. Also go with the variable speed trolling motor. You will be a lot happier with that choice. You can control and manipulate your desired speed unlike a standard 5 speed.

I have one 27 series battery running my sonar, 55lb thrust Minnkota, lights and livewell. I as we'll have a pull start Yamaha. I can honesty say I have been running one battery for years, and have never had an issue. Not even fishing tournaments. That being said, I went with a 27 because I couldn't find a 29 that I liked and I don't have the room for a 31, plus 31's are kinda pricey. As far as the trolling motor goes, invest in the variable speed over the 5 speed. I have used 5 speeds for as long as I can remember. I have had a variable speed for 2 years now and it's a much better, smoother motor.

I used to have a 14' with a Johnson 25 (pull start),Min 55 lb(5 speed), depth finder and only used one battery (group 31). It kept the weight down and i never ran out of Juice. I then had a Alumacraft 1648 with a 30 hp Johnson jet, same trolling motor and same result, i sold that Alumacraft 2 years ago and the 2nd owner is using the exact same setup and happy with it.

I'd say spend a little extra on one good group 31. That way you don't have one battery that just sits there as dead weight.

as for the variable versus the 5 speed, is it worth the extra cash for the variable when you say you wont use it much?

I only use one...group 29.
My boats a 1652,30hp(pull start) with a 55lbs traxxis now(used to be a 50lbs powerdrive last season).
Most fishing trip are around 6 hours,although last time out was around 9 hours.
I hardly ever use my lights or the fishfinder but they don't draw much power.
I'd buy a variable speed TM and 1 battery...if you find 1 battery isn't enough,you can always buy another later.

I will say that with the new trolling motor I bought,they suggested 2 batteries....1 dedicated trolling and 1 for electronics.
I think it has to do with interference issues and not the power consumption though.
If I bought a new top dollar fishfinder,I think I'd use 2 batteries but the electronic 1 wouldn't have to be that big.

I would go with the larger single battery for the TM and use a 12v deer feeder battery for the FF. If you have the funds, go for the variable speed, especially if you troll any at all. Much easier to control your speed with the variable speed version. I have a 17.5 tracker PT175 with a 12v 55#, and have only run the TM battery down one time, and that was on purpose. If you get a MK TM with digital maximize, the single battery will last all day on that size boat.

Big thanks to all you guys for your input. I have decided to go ahead and set up my boat for two batteries which is really no more difficult or expensive than setting up for just one. I will go ahead and install a battery switch so if I decide to add another battery down the road, my boat is already set up and ready to roll. =D>