10' jon boat semi rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
i bought this 2 years ago from a friend. when he had it the rivets leaked.... all of them. he covered them with some kind of putty and then roofing tar. this worked great until the boat got water inside and pushed the patches off.

so i drilled out all the rivets and started to replace with stainless screws.

Im 6'4" and 325lbs in a little 10' boat. when im using the outboard it doesnt like to go more than 5mph with me in the back seat. it also is very squirrely with me in the back seat. so i decided with it out i should move it forward a little bit. i also moved the oar locks but didnt get a pic of that.

drilling every rivet besides the gunwales took maybe 30 minutes. replacing every one of them with stainless screws, washers,5200, and nylon locknuts took probably about 3 hours or so. boat has no leaks at all now unless i tip too far to the side and it leaks in that big hole in the top. it still rows great and i can sit on the seat now and operate the motor.

I forgot to add that I replaced the foam. The old stuff was waterlogged and falling. There's a company in my town that makes foam rubber with excellent flotation and it doesn't absorb water or seem to ever rot. Putting this under my bench was more than enough to keep the swamped boat and my gear from sinking.

Your boat looks like mine. I was hoping you were going to post some pic's . I'm at a stand still with mine , it will probably be the end of July before I'll be able to get started...... :(

keep the pics coming

Vic

Latest posts