12' 1967 Harbercraft - New Toy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut and drilled the new plywood pieces for the transom today. I just went with a straight up replacement - same size, same shape, but now I'm thinking….

Have a look at the pics. I've just put a couple of bolts through to hold it in place for the photos.

Instead of the outside plate, I'm thinking of cutting a piece that has extensions on either side along the top. You get the idea from the pic with the piece of wood clamped on the left. My main reason for considering this is then I would be able to fasten both bolts for each handle through two pieces of 3/4 plywood. If I stay with just the plates, the upper bolts of the handles only go through the aluminum transom and the inside transom strip.

My buddy says stick with the KISS priniciple and just replace what was there and get on with it. I'm somewhat inclined to agree with him on the basis of that's the easiest, cheapest, lightest, and fastest way to do it, but think the extensions would make the whole transom a bit stiffer, and it looks a bit better. I also have to figure out a way to get a transom mounted trolling motor and a Johnson 9.9 on the back at the same time, and though I don't have any idea how to do that, I thought the extra wood on the back might come in handy.

Any thoughts or suggestions on either issue welcome, as I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but I'm having fun.

Easy

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpg
    IMG_4238.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,653
  • IMG_4237.jpg
    IMG_4237.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,653
  • IMG_4235.jpg
    IMG_4235.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,653
I got the first coat of stain on them. After much consideration, I decided to go with a mahogany stain, b/c I figured that it best suited the luxurious and richly appointed nature of the vessel overall. Also, that was what I had in the garage. Here's a couple of pictures of the first coat

Still have to figure out if/how I can get both the troller and the 9 on the back. I'd prefer not to cut into the tin "triangle" bracket on the corner, as it's already down to only one rivet in holding it to the aluminum transom frame.

WHERE'S OLD BILL???? Is there something like a bat signal I can put out for a consult with this guy? [-o<

Attachments

• IMG_4240.jpg
    IMG_4240.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,619
  • IMG_4239.jpg
    IMG_4239.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,619
EasternEasy said:
Wow. That was fast. The bat signal worked! :shock:

Jim woke me from my afternoon nap!

Don't you know us old geezers need our rest? :lol: :lol:

What can I do to help you...or mislead you....or borrow money?

Old Bill

Hey Old Bill;

Well this is pretty cool! Really glad you checked in. I've got to try and figure a way to get both an electric trolling motor and 9.9 Johnson on the back of this boat. I've scoped out your other ingenious inventions and thought you might be have an idea or two.

EasternEasy

Check this out. I was in the market for a trailer and managed to pick up an extra boat and motor in the process.

The trailer is in good shape; solid, new wiring, lights work, winch, and so-so tires. It needs some new bunks, safety chains, some paint and maybe a tire. Really pleased as I paid $450 for the lot, and I think the trailer's worth that alone. Even came with a couple of great fenders, just need installing.

Sitting on the trailer is a 14' fibreglass side console. I haven't even looked to see the make, but no seats and in pretty rough shape, not to mention the bazillion pounds of ice frozen into the bow. The former owner said it doesn't leak, and if the amount of water she's presently holding is any indication, I'm inclined to believe 'em. Oh yeah, did I mention that it's pink? :mrgreen:

Also now have a 40 HP Gale Sovereign outboard that I have no use for presently.

Soooo…..do I take on another project or craigslist the boat and motor and try to recoup some of the trailer cost?

Attachments

• IMG00032-20110304-1859.jpg
    IMG00032-20110304-1859.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG00033-20110304-1859.jpg
    IMG00033-20110304-1859.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,370
I don't really either. I guess I'm just a little giddy from going from zero to two boats in less than 10 months…

I told my buddy's kid if I didn't sell it he could have it for the cottage and he was WAY happy with that.

Easy

First time seeing this, and nice work so far. Make sure to seal that transom with something other than stain. A spar urethane will do the trick. Looks like you could bolt on a homemade mini jack plate off to the side of the transom for your TM.

Forgot to mention the boat/motor/trailer combo I picked up also had two seats, swivels and detachable mounts in the deal as well. Figure I saved about 160 bucks in seats and hardware, and as a bonus, looks like it should match the red/grey paint scheme quite nicely, so I get points from my wife for my colour coordination skills. Boo-yah!

Attachments

• new seats.jpg
    new seats.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,043
I finally got the stain and varnish finished. Two coats of the stain I had laying around the garage and three coats of spar varnish. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

Snow day today for us here in SW Ontario, so I spent the day mucking around the garage. Picked up the mail and found that my order from BPS came in - including the rod holders. I'm not really sure how to mount these things. The gunwale on my boat has a "lip" on it - and I don't know if I should put a block in there or just bolt them through the hull. Probably easier to look at the pics to see what I mean. Any suggestions welcome.

EE

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,021
  • IMG_4294.jpg
    IMG_4294.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,021
  • IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,021
  • IMG_4292.jpg
    IMG_4292.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,021
  • IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,021
Got a good deal on some rubber mats that I saw some of you using. Also got my cheapo ($10 for the pair) BPS rod holders so we'll see how they hold up.

Can't wait to get this pop can out on the water!

Attachments

• IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4297.jpg
    IMG_4297.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4298.jpg
    IMG_4298.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4299.jpg
    IMG_4299.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4301.jpg
    IMG_4301.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4303.jpg
    IMG_4303.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4304.jpg
    IMG_4304.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,012
Quick question. My boat looks similar to yours and I am doing a fairly light mod. Where do you get those rubber mats. Also, when you attach your new transom, I didn't see the bolts protruding out the back. Why is that? Probably a stupid question but seeing as I am not very mechanically inclined I thought I would ask.

The mats I got at Canadian Tire. I got 3 mats 3' x 3' ( I think ) for $45 on sale.

The transom bolts go through. You can see the two through the bottom of the motor plate. The others are through the handles.

Just did some work replacing benches today and will post some pics soon.

There's been a flurry of activity lately.

My FIL is back from FLA and jumped in enthusiastically. My buddy was down for a visit on the weekend and put him to good work on the trailer with FIL. Went from seriously contemplating selling the kijijii found trailer and purchasing a new one (~$1000 gulp), to thinking that this trailer will do just fine for now. It's a bit oversized and a tad heavier than I need for a 12' boat, but nothing that my vehicle can't easily handle.

Trailer sorted out on Friday. FIL brought over his collection of scary tools, and grease monkey buddy, me, and FIL (mostly buddy & FIL) went at it yesterday for about 3 hours and got the following done:

got the tongue cut and shortened,
moved the bow winch assembly,
moved, positioned, and replaced wood bunks
adjusted roller positions
cut off old safety chain
installed fenders
cleaned and greased hubs and lugs
spray painted tongue assembly

It was like a combination NASCAR pit crew - navy seal blitzkrieg operation. Couldn't believe how fast it all got done - and that's even with the FIL sending me out to get a case of beer b/c I wouldn't let him start drinking brandy at 11:00.

Apart from the $40 for the beer, didn't spend a cent on the trailer. Reused (b/c it was recently Earth Day, don't you know) most of the parts and hardware, and what was NFG, FIL had replacements for in his "Big Bucket of Bolts". FIL also gave me a marine battery, starting, as opposed to deep cycle, but I figure it'll do until I kill it.

Just need to get some chain welded on and all set to go on the trailer.

Started on replacing the benches today. Rigged up the front bench with a battery storage and have now decided to make the front two benches hinged storage. Front bench will store anchor and battery and will be hinged in a 60/40 split. The 40 is for the front swivel seat. The 60 gives me plenty of room to access and remove the battery for charging. You can see where the split will be as it's marked with a small piece of wood on a couple of the pics.

Second bench stores my folding net, two piece oars, and safety kit. (bailer, flashlight, rope, etc.)

Under the gun now to get this wood all stained, sealed, installed and fastened before the May trip.

Attachments

• IMG_4323.jpg
    IMG_4323.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_4327.jpg
    IMG_4327.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_4328.jpg
    IMG_4328.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_4329.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_4330.jpg
    IMG_4330.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_4331.jpg
    IMG_4331.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_4333.jpg
    IMG_4333.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 947
Another quick question for you. I am going to leave my interior transom the same but am installing an exterior one like yours. Once I have it cut painted and sealed, when you actually attached it did you just bolt it through and seal the holes with that 5200 stuff or did you put some adhesive on the back of the wood, then bolt and seal the bolt holes? Also I have some half in plywood and some three quarter inch solid pine. Which do you think would work better. And finally, what did you end up doing about the plate for your tolling motor? And did you decide to bolt the rod holders straight through the metal? I guess it wasnt so short of a question after all. Sorry about that but but I am new to boating (bank fished before) and need advice. Thanks!!!

By the way, here is my boat if you have any ideas. Thanks.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19346
IMAG0140.jpg

swabjon said:
Another quick question for you. I am going to leave my interior transom the same but am installing an exterior one like yours. Once I have it cut painted and sealed, when you actually attached it did you just bolt it through and seal the holes with that 5200 stuff or did you put some adhesive on the back of the wood, then bolt and seal the bolt holes? Also I have some half in plywood and some three quarter inch solid pine. Which do you think would work better. And finally, what did you end up doing about the plate for your tolling motor? And did you decide to bolt the rod holders straight through the metal? I guess it wasnt so short of a question after all. Sorry about that but but I am new to boating (bank fished before) and need advice. Thanks!!!

Hey;

I bolted the exterior motor plate straight through the hull. It was rivet in, but I replaced the rivets with ss bolts and hardware. I ran a bead of silicone around the edge of the plate and just held it in place with a clamp and the bolts.

Not that I'm any expert, but I'd say you're better off with the plywood over the pine both in terms of strength and durability. I think the pine would be too soft, even with a few coats of varnish.

As far as the trolling motor goes, I didn't have to make any major mods. Turns out there was enough room to put the 9.9 and the troller side by side if I just moved the position of the handle on the stern. I just drilled a new hole and spun the handle around and the troller fits great. It clamps tight to the hull and interior transom, but I'll probably just put a small scrap block on the exterior for now, and see if I want to build a new exterior transom with an extension next winter.

Rod holders went straight through the hull with ss hardware. I'll post a pic of the finished rod holder and the trolling motor set up when I get a chance.

Nice boat you've got there, good luck with your build. This is a great board for advice and ideas. The best advice I've got so far, is keep it simple, especially with a small boat. Basically, I was looking for something that was a bit better than a canoe, so any thing past a motor was HUGE improvement. Get some good seats and figure out some simple storage that suits whatever you fish for would be my suggestions. Keep me posted on your progress.

EE

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_4298.jpg
    IMG_4298.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 940