12' TRAILER(rebuild)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezerz

Reaction score
OK, I got this trailer a couple of days ago for $200cdn. To purchase an axle,hubs and springs from a cheap, local trailer supply co.(Princess Auto)... It would cost over $400cdn alone. The cheapest POS trailers up here on CL are $325 and up and they look waaaay worse than what I got. Yes it is very expensive to live up here, especially with the olympics one week away. Here are pics of the trailer...
Princecraft12195-1.jpg

One with the boat on it(sorry small garage)
Princecraft12209.jpg

I could probably reconfigure this fairly well, but for all the work and trying to weld rusty metal. I think I'm gonna scrap it and keep the springs, axle, hubs, wheels, tires, fenders, and winch.
Princecraft12209.jpg

I plan on welding up my own version of this.
3n33k83l05T75S55R6a28d87c5ad03f95127b.jpg

The trailer will also be used to haul my dirtbike and will be able to be used as a utility trailer.
The hitch will be retractable and interchangeable. But most of all it will be able to be broken down easily for storage... If my design works, I'll start selling them.LOL... :---)

We'll see how it goes(stay tuned)

You should check out the regular trailer,,axle spring shops:I got a way better deal on springs a complete axle and new rims and tires that princess auto couldnt even come near.....

Where? Names of the places where the prices are much cheaper, would be nice. Otherwise I find it very hard to believe. I didn't do a whole lot of shopping around, but I do know that it's cheaper to just buy a new trailer for the average person. I'm not average, and this trailer isn't gonna cost me no $400+. I will keep track of the cost and as of tonight, I'm still only in it for $200. I'm hoping to come in, a hare under $400TTL.

Here's what I have so far, I cut bent and welded this tonight.
Princecraft12240.jpg

48"X48" 3" channel 2" flange
Princecraft12235.jpg

I reinforced the corners for strength and it is strong.
Princecraft12236.jpg

I'll post more pics as I progress.. :)

It was at City Springs in Edmonton Alberta $45. for12'' rim and tire,and if I remember well $109.for 2000lb axle complete with the hubs on it,springs were about $20.cheaper for a pair....

I've been busy, don't have much...
Here's what I've decided, upon stripping the old trailer of its old crusty parts. I was/am gonna build a whole new trailer to fit my needs/wants. Just not right now...
this here...
Princecraft12240.jpg

I took a WALTER flap disc 180grit to the frame of the old trailer frame, and it came out pretty good. Certainly lots of metal left to work with.
here's what's left...
Princecraft12262.jpg

I made some new spring hangers from scraps and a couple of plates to weld the tongue solid.
cost so far... still $200 for the trailer(the rest is stuff already laying around from other projects)
Princecraft12264.jpg

I still have to fab up one crossmember and then I can weld it all together.
I"m gonna make the second trailer as well, and probably sell this one after this season.
I should have it all welded up by the weekend.
[-o<

Well. Tonight I got the trailer pretty much welded up, aside from some fender mounts, tailight mounts and my winch post.
Princecraft12275.jpg

After extending the tongue 2 feet, I welded it up solid with plates and a crossmember, top and bottom.
I also fabbed up a second crossmember for my bunks to mount to, and some ridgidity.
Princecraft12273.jpg

Then I welded on my new spring hangers and gave it all a shot of red oxide primer.
Princecraft12270.jpg

Princecraft12268.jpg

Tomorrow mornig I'm doing the bearings, races and seals and mounting the axle. I will also mount my fenders (2" lower than before). Weld on my winch post and my tailight brackets and mount my bunks... I should have it all painted and rewired and bunked by Sun. eve...
stay tuned.... :D

So I put about 4 hours in today. I have spent an additional $55 for light kit and $41 for cedar bunkboards and 3 cans of cold galvanizing compound. Yes I've decided to go with cold galv in a spray can. It looks good so far, but time will be the true test. So I believe I've spent approx $296cdn so far, plus my time of course...
Here's where it's at now...
Princecraft12279.jpg

I added a winch post...
Princecraft12281.jpg

I painted the underside and mounted the fenders nice and low...
Princecraft12283.jpg

Princecraft12284.jpg

I still have the mounts for the taillamps and the safety chain to weld up, but basically done....
hope you like my U-built cold galv boat trailer? I think it's pretty sturdy... =D>
more to come....

eezerz said:
Just wanted to see if a slideshow would work on here?

Nope, don't work.....

I will have more pics up tonight. new bunk material ect... :D
I saw the link a minute ago, clicked it, and watched your slideshow. Put it back up :wink:

There it's back up now... I got scared for a minute. I noticed my privacy settings weren't on on my photobucket account... We're all good now... I'll add to the slide show and my post as i progress... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok! Here's my bunk material. (TIVAR)
Princecraft12304.jpg

I also recieved some more "donations" :twisted: tonight...lol. I got some safety chain and a bunch of hardware and steel to complete the trailer build. I thought I was gonna have it all finished tonight, but I had to work. And building a trailer is alot of work too... Besides, if I didn't go to work tonight, I wouldn't have recieved these wonderful donations...
Princecraft12305.jpg

Princecraft12303.jpg

Princecraft12302.jpg

So the TIVAR will be countersunk/screwed to my cedar bunkboards. I'm planning on leaving the cedar RAW, no sealers whatsoever. Opinions on this would be great. The TIVAR can be shaped to get rid of the sharp corners. It is really strong and slippery stuff. I was hoping to get this in 2X4 dimensions, but I only have access to 1", so I went with 3/8" to put on my bunkboards. I would like to keep the boat as low as possible on the trailer....
hope you like? I JUST HOPE IT ALL WORKS???
P.S. still only $296 total on the trailer... My budget is $400TTL. I still need to buy a new winch strap and a snubber and 2X rollers....
:D [-o<

Time is not on my side. I just don't have enough to go around.lol. I have some more teaser pics of the trailers progress, but it's still not complete...errrr!!!
I got the winch post pretty much done now, cut to length and capped just gotta mount winch
Princecraft12324.jpg

I got the lights all wired up, don't ask me if they work(no time to test them yet)
Princecraft12322.jpg

Princecraft12313.jpg

Got the rear bunk mounts welded up.
Princecraft12315.jpg

Princecraft12306.jpg

I got the bunks layed out but not fastened yet, TIME...
Princecraft12319.jpg

Got the boat in place to double check everything
Princecraft12316.jpg

Princecraft12320.jpg

Princecraft12314.jpg

Can't wait to get it done, its driving me nuts.... :shock:

Really sweet. Aren't you worried about the 2x4 rotting over time? Or are you going to treat it?

The 2X4's are cedar. They shouldn't rot too too quickly. But I really don't know. I've done a lot of reading on this site. I have yet to find a definate answer on this. I choose to leave it raw. Just to see. 2X4's are cheap, so if i have to change 'em out every couple years, I'm ok with that. I feel that if I were to treat them, it would just trap moisture inside and speed up the rotting process. We'll see how it goes.
[-o<

Here are my bunks...
Princecraft12330.jpg

Princecraft12329.jpg

The bunks are "bare" wood, Canadian Red Cedar. I have countersunk and bolted my polyethylene(tivar) strips to the 2X4's and trailer. Haven't had much time to do anything else. [-X

Well, I finally managed to get the trailer complete.
Here it is with the boat on it...
Princecraft12342.jpg

Princecraft12347.jpg

these are my unscrewable guide ons...
Princecraft12345.jpg

my winch post...
Princecraft12336.jpg

one of my 2 keel rollers...
Princecraft12332.jpg

the boat worked flawlessly. not a drop of water. i was surprised to see a top speed of 32km/h or 20mph or 17knots on the water. not bad for a little 9.8...
pics from on the water....
Princecraft12337.jpg

Princecraft12333.jpg

Princecraft12339.jpg

PS the bunks worked great veary easy to load and unload and they don't seem to be scratching the boat on any way......awesome... =D> =D> =D>

I did go a little over budget, but that's because parts are soo expensive up here. $450cdn was the total cost. I went over by $50 bucks... oh well...

I finally have some pics of the trailer complete and working very well. The bunks are great. and don't hurt the boat at all. I do have to shorten the safety chain and do something about the wheels and tires before any looong trips.
At the launch
Princecraft12370.jpg

Princecraft12360.jpg

Princecraft12390.jpg

Princecraft12361.jpg

This is as far as I nedd to go. Giver her a light shove and she's off...
Princecraft12362.jpg

Feet stay dry too...
Princecraft12363.jpg

Princecraft12380.jpg

Princecraft12374.jpg

All in all, the trailer and boat look great and work great. I still have to finish the boat though...
Here's a couple of vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbUt26Au44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGGedqEExKY
:D

Latest posts