14 ft flatbottom build on a tight budget! (NEW PICS)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorFireman

Reaction score
Hey all! First post but long time lurker. I currently fish a really old V-bottom that was originally bought by my great grandfather back in the early fifties I think. It's still a great running boat but have decided to start on a new project. My goal is to have a good fishing boat for as little as possible. I started out with an order 1432 that I have no idea of the make or year ( if anybody recognizes the make please let me know). I traded an old Jennings pistol that I had 30 bucks into for it and was able to find a trailer for FREE! from a buddy at the Firehouse. Both of them are ruff. Boat leaks and trailer is rusty and designed for a v-bottom. So needless to say I have got a lot if work ahead of me. I'll keep updated on progress and pics as soon as I figure out how to post them.

Here is the boat the as I bought it. I'll get more pics of it soon.

3kf3m23l85W35U65X6b2506bda291106c1781.jpg

Here is the trailer. As you can see its rough. When I got it one tire was off and all the bunks were rotten. Jack is froze and winch is broke. These pics are after I have started on some of the stripping process. But at least now I got it where I can move it around.

IMAG0017.jpg
IMAG0018.jpg

Just some plywood for the floor of the boat. The trailer looks like it will work with a little help.

Yeah so far my plans for the boat are to put a very small deck up front for storage not casting and plywood on the floor. I was also wanting to figure out a way to make some storage out of the bench seat but not sure how yet. Any one have ant ideas?

Its a rough start but your into with hardly anything out of pocket! I have a 1432 also so you can check out my thread for ideas if you need to! feel free to pm me or write questions in my thread...
My suggestions:
1. On the trailer, a grinder will be your best friend to get all that old paint and rust off... harbor freight is good for cheap trailer parts too! I would suggest implement paint with hardener for protection!
2. On the boat, a 1432 isnt easy to create alot of storage space in! since it is so narrow and can be tipsy, alot of people on here cut out the center of the middle bench to make it walk-thru style (BuffordTJ or my thread for examples on that). For the leaks, place the boat on sawhorses, blocks, etc and fill the boat with an inch or two of water. then get under the boat and circle all the rivets that are leaking. These will need to be rebucked (easy to do).
3. On the Boat ID, if it doesnt have a little plaque on the transom beside where the motor would mount to (if it does your done with ID) check on the outside of the transom. On alot of boats there will be a HIN number (Hull Identification Number) write that down and post it here or google HIN lookup and do your searchin! If it doesnt have one of those then post up a few different pics (preferably with the boat off the ground) inside and out to help members ID it on here easier!

The harder you work at getting thing clean and right in the beginning, the easier it will all come together in the end!

Arkansas, I def. like how you did yours. How stable is it and how does it handle on the water.

I don't where you are from ( please add STATE to your profile)..but..in some States, a boat without a ID number won't be easy to title. Many States ( Texas for sure) require that any boat that has a motor...even only an electric trolling motor...must be registered or titled. If the boat has no ID number, then, at the very least, it has to be inspected and given a number by a Park or other official.

I wouldn't spend any money on the boat until I found out the facts. it would be a shame to do a bunch of work and then have the boat impounded because it is assumed... stolen... unless you can prove otherwise. Rich

Texas Registration Requirements

The following vessels when on Texas public water are required to have current registration, including when docked, moored, or stored.

* All motorized boats, regardless of length;
* All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and

PoorFireman said:
Arkansas, I def. like how you did yours. How stable is it and how does it handle on the water.

Ive only had it on the water once since i decked it out but when i had it out there it was nice for a 1432. Me and my girlfriend putted around a no wake lake for a while and didnt have any problems.

Got the trailer prepped for paint the other day. I used a wire wheel and grinder to remove the rust and paint. That wheel made the job much easier. I didn't prep or paint the axle yet cuz I might replace it later with a straight one in order to lower the height for easier launching. I also noticed there were some missed spots where I let my five and seven year old sons help. No biggie though I can touch it up easy later and its just a trailer.

Looks like a new one. Ain't paint grand! Ha Ha..

Also, remember that you can lower the effective height of an axle/trailer by moving the axle to the TOP of the springs. I did that on one trailer and it saved the day. No cost other than elbow grease and some new U bolts. Rich

trailer looks nice, i am getting ready to prime and paint mine tomorrow. for my mod I am planning on cutting a walk through out of the middle bench seat and putting in a low plywood floor. I want to keep my boat as stable as possible as well so a low floor is key i think.

While I haven't gotten a lot done to the boat I figured I would get some more pics up of what I had. Its been busy around here due to the birth of my third son on March 3. But I did get the trailer painted as you've seen and today got out and put the boat on the trailer to be able to mock up where to mount my bunks. That is when I started running out of daylight. So I snapped a few pics of the flatbottom sitting on the trailer, and got my great grandfathers old boat ready to fish tomorrow. If anyone recognizes the brands of either of these boats let me know cuz I have no idea. Anyway on to the pics.
IMAG0150.jpg
IMAG0151.jpg
IMAG0152.jpg
IMAG0153.jpg

Here is my current fishing rig it was originally my great grandfathers he bought back in the fifties like 1953, but he bought it used so who knows what year it is.

IMAG0144.jpg
IMAG0145.jpg
IMAG0146.jpg
IMAG0148.jpg
IMAG0149.jpg
IMAG0154.jpg

And of course the newest addition to our crew.
IMAG0142.jpg

congrats on the new addition !!! i have a 1432 Voyager , as for storage in the center seat I cut a hole in the top and added a lid made of plywood , hinges and carpeted it . that is where i keep my batteries .helps level out the boat . good luck on the build , i will be posting pics of mine soon

That's s good idea too. I think I am gonna try something like that or cut out the bench just enough to make it a walk through.

Latest posts