14' Meyers jon boat mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
free jonboat said:
a 9.9 merc for 50$, a bow mount troller for 75$, a TRAILER for 25$? man id love to shop where u do :lol:

Yeah, I do love living where there are around 15 lakes within a 10 mile radius of me. You would be amazed what people get rid of around here for :mrgreen:

Well I found my go to shop.... It's called Tracy's custom riverboats. Its just a small shop in Newago, if you seen the inside of this place.............(my goodness...wipe tear) its a grown man's toy shop!!!! You should see that man's custom built boats. Anyway they also do live wells, anchor guides, repairs, welding, etc. I found that someone did a hack job on a couple seams of my boat so I'm gonna have Tracy's weld up everything they find that is bad and stiffin up the boat. Also gonna rehab the transom and beef it up a little.

This needs some attention
100_3431 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
100_3429 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Made a little bit of progress with the little bit of time I can get each night. Removed the old transom, side arms, and seat tops. the styrofoam was shot and pulverized in there.

100_3430 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
100_3426 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Question, will the blue sheets of styrofoam from a home center work for flotation?
I really hate the idea of taking all the time to clean something to make such an unsightly mess with the mix and pour stuff.:shock: Any help would be great.

So I was supposed to be roofing this morning but my buddy's that were supposed to be here, got to drunk last night and are running late. So I did a little bit of work on the boat.

100_3438.JPG
100_3437.JPG
I ended up needing to replace the impeller and rehab the carb.
100_3436.JPG
Drilling out the rivets holding in the seats.
100_3439.JPG
"Don't worry dad, I'll get any mice in there out!!!"
100_3440.JPG
Still on the hunt
100_3441.JPG
The other helper!100_3442.JPG

So I have been having an epic battle with mother nature and managed to get the upper hand for about an hour tonight. When I removed the rear seat, that damaged seam really showed its true colors :shock: . Anyone have any ideas on how to straighten out this transom? I'm thinkng maybe two pieces of wood, one on each side, then sandwich them with multiple C-clamps?
DSCN0484.JPG

DSCN0485.JPG

DSCN0489.JPG

DSCN0487.JPG

I'm still at a loss guys, your input would be warmly welcomed. I still can't seem to get the transom straightened out. I tried using two boards and a wedge piece to bend it back with no luck. It goes past straight, and when I release the C-clamps, it just goes back to its bent form. :twisted: Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I did, In order.
DSCN0491.JPG
tightened them up till transom went a little past straight.
DSCN0492.JPG
here is the wedge on the furthest out part of the bend.
DSCN0493.JPG
and when all released, it just goes back to crap!!
DSCN0494.JPG

I got a wiene dog like that too.

YOu need to get the transom welded to reapir it. I am not sure that you can make that fix yourself. Once its connected to the other side it should straighten out. Did you try hammering it a bit?

Yeah... I was afraid of that. I also beleive you have a Meyers. There is one that looks identical to yours just down the road from me, and it is a meyers. Hammer is not doing the trick either. I'm getting to the point I might just scrap this one. It is full of defects, and I didn't pay nothing for it.

perchin said:
Yeah... I was afraid of that. I also beleive you have a Meyers. There is one that looks identical to yours just down the road from me, and it is a meyers. Hammer is not doing the trick either. I'm getting to the point I might just scrap this one. It is full of defects, and I didn't pay nothing for it.

Find one that you can mod man. That one looks shot. You will probably spend more on fixing it that its worth. Sell the aluminum for scrap.

Perchin,
Looking at your boat if you can wield then you may be able to make it work as for me i can't wield ..............
So that wouldn't work...
Look at cash in it now and cash in it after it is finished and is it worth it only you can answer that....

Mike

Well............. Today I have decided to call it quits on the ol' girl. She's from the 50's and has served her purpose. I'm picking up a different boat tonight.
Kinda sucks that I bought 3-50 packs of solid aluminum rivets :roll: , the rest of the stuff will go on the new boat.

Latest posts