14' Sears Gamefisher Version 2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3rd coat is complete and drying. Carpet is next.

Can I paint over the Helmsman Spar Varnish? I was thinking of painting the underside of the hatches with a gray paint to match the carpet. This way it would look a little better when a hatch is opened.

Painted the bottom side of the hatches with a charcoal gray spray paint after a light sanding. Next is carpet!

8f2e955d0615b2a90cc5f6457e8f30c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

120 square ft of carpet, glue, spreaders and staples ready to go. Hopefully I can start tomorrow.

ffa48c3c9289f9abfe2cd9d97be90deb.jpg

The deck parts all layed out to keep the carpet gain oriented the same way.

8355d2c8fa4c1be55efb6d87776e34b3.jpg

All the pieces of carpet cut out, rolled and labeled.

02471bcf3772d87dbe8b60f4751e5f3c.jpg

The left over and tools used.

e96a8ff90070ca464bd703b4583ceafc.jpg

Carpeting done on all the fixed panels. I did not do any hatches except the full rear hatch because I want to make sure they fit properly with the right amount of clearance. I am going to wait to carpet the hatches until I get the fixed panels installed.

4dd726da17ec382154f955486ec48110.jpg

I have this exact same boat, just a 1988 12' version...Thinking of doing something like this but just not sure if I'm skilled enough to work with aluminum, rivets, find materials, etc.

In the end how much weight do you think you added to this boat? I guess a credit should be taken for removing the benches...I have a trolling motor and an 8hp Johnson outboard.

Also, how much do you think you spent on this refurb?

Would you mind posting the final photos?

93longhorn said:
I have this exact same boat, just a 1988 12' version...Thinking of doing something like this but just not sure if I'm skilled enough to work with aluminum, rivets, find materials, etc.

In the end how much weight do you think you added to this boat? I guess a credit should be taken for removing the benches...I have a trolling motor and an 8hp Johnson outboard.

Also, how much do you think you spent on this refurb?

Would you mind posting the final photos?
Unfortunately the project got stalled again. I wound up having to doa head gasket job on my 2006 F350 6.0 diesel. That took up the few weekends I had free to work on the boat. I have all the decking carpeted and just need to screw it all down. But now that Winter is just about here I will not be able to get much doe since I have to work out i the driveway.

Never the less the boat is on the top of my list to get finished ASAP.

Macrosill said:
flippin74 said:
Macrosill said:
I was hoping to be finished by now but work and weather got in the way. I am not complaining because the OT can fund more of the boat but the days off were mostly a washout. And because of those 2 factors the boat mod was put on the back burner because of other springtime maintenance around the house.

Anyway, I was able to spend more than a few hours on the build today. I finished the main floor area, added side lockers, started the front deck and framed in the battery tray near the front. One of the goals for the side lockers were to store the oars. Both oars fit with lots of room to spare in only one side as seen in the photo. Nice easy in and out too. NICE!

IMG_2817 (Small)1.jpg

IMG_2818 (Small)1.jpg

Great build thread, I look forward to seeing what it looks like when it's complete. I was wondering... on your floor joists, I see you have them supported in the middle with angled aluminum and on each end. On the ends of the joists, are they touching the rib as it meets the side walls or are they partially suspended? If they touch, did you just cut them at an angle to match the floor?

Here is a close up showing the detail you are asking about. I cropped an old picture from 2017 so hopefully it is clear enough for you to see. The floor joists are cut at an agle to closely match the angle of the floor rib, but not touch. Then it is supported with a short piece of ange which is attached to the rib and the joist. The very last one in the picture is attached directly to the rib. The picture shows it better than I can explain it. LOL

IMG_2671.JPG

What kind and size rivets did you use to secure the joints in this pic?

RaisedByWolves said:
Macrosill said:
flippin74 said:
Great build thread, I look forward to seeing what it looks like when it's complete. I was wondering... on your floor joists, I see you have them supported in the middle with angled aluminum and on each end. On the ends of the joists, are they touching the rib as it meets the side walls or are they partially suspended? If they touch, did you just cut them at an angle to match the floor?

Here is a close up showing the detail you are asking about. I cropped an old picture from 2017 so hopefully it is clear enough for you to see. The floor joists are cut at an agle to closely match the angle of the floor rib, but not touch. Then it is supported with a short piece of ange which is attached to the rib and the joist. The very last one in the picture is attached directly to the rib. The picture shows it better than I can explain it. LOL

IMG_2671.JPG

What kind and size rivets did you use to secure the joints in this pic?

I believe they were these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Fastener-3-16-in-x-1-2-in-Aluminum-Grip-Range-Rivets-50-Pack-RLA3-16IP/100204004

3/16 x 1/2 aluminum pop rivets

Latest posts