1432 Sears - My First Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidN

Reaction score
I actually began this project about a week ago. My first group of posts was in this thread. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4385

Since that time I have spent a huge amount of time reading this forum. This group has been very valuable...thank you to everyone for such detailed posts.

The interior of this boat had two coats of green paint that was peeling pretty badly. I stripped the areas that would not have deck or carpet. I used KWIK paint remover. I have refinished furniture for years and quick works very well. Deciding on which paint to use was a big decision. Again this forum has been a huge help. Obviously the primer is the most important part. After readling this forum and talking to some folks who work in paint for a living a decided on Rust-oleum Topside primer for the outside of the boat. I know it says topside, however, based upon what the experts told me this primer should do just fine on a boat that does not stay in the water all the time. I sure hope they are correct. On the inside of the boat I used regular metal primer and painted everything even the areas that will be decked. I just want that extra protection and the extra couple of coats may help against leaks as well. I also prepped and primed my trailer.

Tomorrow I apply the second coat to inside, outside and trailer. I plan on keeping everyone up to date but this project may take longer then most just because of my schedule. Once painted I plan on framing the decking. I am going to carpet the floors and build the floors up some (probably to the top of the seats on the front) other then that I do not want to fully deck the boat because of the width.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts and I will post some second coat photos tomorrow.

Thanks

cimg0224.jpg

cimg0225.jpg

cimg0226.jpg

cimg0236.jpg

cimg0238.jpg

cimg0241.jpg

cimg0242.jpg

Have you used the trailer yet?My friend had one with rollers like that for a tri hull.It was a pain to load.One of us ended up in the water holding the runners until the boat got over them.

Missed ya before DavidN , Gonna be a nice project. Your doing good on the paint decisions, way to go on the info from a paint supplier, now ya can just pass the info to others when needed. :wink:

Decking up some is fine in my oppinion if you plan on no co-visiters fishen with ya. It makes me nervous being in a narrow boat with others let alone if the said boat has been modified on higher floor elevation.

I would seek a little more info on decking upto the bench seat as well. Alot of my concerns would go away if I only planned to fish with the boat by myself.

what color do you plan on doing?

No not yet...I figured there would be a bit of a learning curve there though

FishingBuds said:
Missed ya before DavidN , Gonna be a nice project. Your doing good on the paint decisions, way to go on the info from a paint supplier, now ya can just pass the info to others when needed. :wink:

Decking up some is fine in my oppinion if you plan on no co-visiters fishen with ya. It makes me nervous being in a narrow boat with others let alone if the said boat has been modified on higher floor elevation.

I would seek a little more info on decking upto the bench seat as well. Alot of my concerns would go away if I only planned to fish with the boat by myself.

what color do you plan on doing?

Thanks...I actually plan on using this layout that was used for a 1432

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2423&hilit=tyler+w

Do you folks see any problems there? I am going to paint gray and use that gray carpet from lowes. Boat trailer will be painted black.

DavidN said:
No...I have a 4 hp Johnson and yes there will be 2 in the boat....

I'm still gonna say it will work, with that level of flooring, I have a 1436 and on the front I went up to the bench level for my deck, it does fine with two in the boat, with your 1432(minus 4") and the floor going to half way or a little higher on the bench would still be fine I think. BUT, with the gas motor is it because you plan on Big waters or is it a gas motor area? My area are all (but two lakes) electric only.

I do love the storage lay out as well.

Got another question well maybe two, What do you plan on fishing for?? and do you plan on any night time fishen-this has alot to do with the layout as well.

Mine isn't set up well for night time and I would love to catch some cat(its the only ones I eat, I release everything else) so to be more comfy I'm gonna need to change a few things.

I am in Virginia and will be fishing in larger parts of the James River. So I will have a need for the outboard on occasion. The James is known for its smallmouth fishing...cats too but I am going after the smallies.

I will probably wire and install lights but not really planning on alot of night fishing. I will be including them just in case though...

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff

Hi there, I have been reading your posts. I too just started a 1432 boat mod project.. and have been reading about decking a 32" boat. So what I did was build a temporary deck that went level with the bench seat on up to the front. I put it in the water and tied it to the dock...and tried to walk around on it. and I'd have to say I was a little woried. I think it would be more of a tricky balancing act with a 32" boat. So I am going to bring the deck down maybe half way like the one in the pic of that link you pasted earlier in your post. Hope any info I provided is helpful for your mod. I'm really curious to see how your project turns out.

Hi Everyone here are some photos from today. Will put the last coat on in a day or so....

cimg0243.jpg

cimg0245.jpg

cimg0246.jpg

cimg0248.jpg

Hi Everyone

Some updated photos. I am now ready to start wiring. Then finish plywood and carpet. Interested in everyones comments.

David

dsc_0131.jpg

dsc_0133.jpg

dsc_0134.jpg

dsc_0135.jpg

Everything looks really good!
thumbsup_smilie.gif

Thank you everyone!!

I do have a couple of questions in regard to wiring. I have done some searches and cannot find an exact answer...so here it goes..

I am going to have a 24 volt trolling motor, front nav light (rear to be a battery powered light...will not do much night fishing), and a bilge. That is it for now. I will eventually add a depth finder but not now. I am running a 4 HP Johnson so no alternator.

I am planning on installing a circuit breaker and I am going to make a switch panel. I am aware that I need 6 gauge from the battery and 12 gauge to all of the other components.

With this setup 1 batter is enough is that correct? Or would I need two batteries...? I am not sure why I would need two...

I am planning on wiring this week so any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Finally where is the best place to buy a breaker? Would I need to order or is there a local place that would have them? I do not have a marine store near by...just autoparts stores

Thanks

David

You're not planning on the 12 ga. feeding the TM are you? You can get breakers at the auto parts store in the electrical section, depending on amperage $5-10.

Number of batteries will hinge on the amount of use you intend for the boat. If you fish 2-3 hours at a stretch you'd be OK, but if you spend the day on the water, I'd add a second.

I like 1 just for the TM, nothing else, and one for electronics, interior & nav lights, and additional lighting night fishing). Then of course a 3rd for an electric start OB. That said, when I'm able to go fishing, I normally am on the water for hours, and alot at night. You'll never regret having spare power.....but you certainly will not having enough :wink:

ST

No sorry. I am using 6 gauge for the TM too....I was not clear in my post. Thank you for the reply. I will check with the auto parts store on the breaker

Latest posts