1436 fly fisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullship

Reaction score
Hey folks. I did my first jon boat mod a couple years ago, but I have since sold it. I moved, had a kid, and have another on the way, so fishing isn't really on the top of the to-do list these days. I did really miss having a boat though, and especially being able to get away and work on one. It makes me feel not as bad about not fishing when i can go down to the barn and make a little progress here and there. This one is a beater Alumicraft 1436 that i picked up last week. I'm going to keep it real simple. I don't have the time or money that i put into my other boat(link:https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13472), and I'm kinda happy about just having a beater that i can leave in the yard and not worry about. I plan to remove the middle bench and build front and rear decks. All of it will be pt, and likely won't have any finish at all(I know, I know....but I have a plan that will work). Since I'm pretty much solely a fly fisherman it won't have any seats, or pretty much anything on the decks to keep line tangles down.

I had a 1966 Johnson 20 horse that I've been lugging around and hiding in corners for a few years. It's hard to find parts, but i was determined to bring her back to life. I told my wife a couple months ago that i wanted to buy a boat if i got the outboard running. She obviously has very little confidence in my mechanical abilities because she agreed without a fight. i had it running in a few days :D Still needs a little tuning, but it's a sweet motor.
P1000935.jpg

P1000945.jpg

P1000953.jpg

Kept down the parts/shipping costs by making it myself
P1000932.jpg

P1000934.jpg

Brought the boat home last week. My wife had a similar reaction, but different......
P1000964.jpg

P1000965.jpg

P1000968.jpg

P1000976.jpg

P1000973.jpg

I stripped it down, and gutted all the wiring
P1000988.jpg

Straightened the bow a bit
P1000992.jpg

Filled it up with water to check for leaks. The bottom is beat to hell, so I expected a full on rainstorm underneath. Surprisingly...this was it.
P1000979.jpg

Sanded her down and prepped the hull for some bed liner and paint
P1010033.jpg

P1000991.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

My new man cave/boat design studio
P1000986.jpg

The trailer is as rough as the boat and needs a bunch of work. That's up next
P1000974.jpg

P1000998.jpg

P1000996.jpg

Looks good so far bottom turned out nice. when you have a moment could you post a close up or the bottom? i would like to see how that truck bed liner paint actually lays out i have been very curious about it.

Ictalurus said:
bullship said:
All of it will be pt

The PT will eat away at your boat. Nice motor btw, I love my old '66 Johnson 20 HP too.

Like i said, i have a plan, and it will work. Really...it will work

The bed liner is just one coat from the spray can, so it's pretty smooth. It has a little texture but not much. If you had a nicer boat you could easily sand it lightly. I do not have a nicer boat, so texture is ok with me.

Ictalurus said:
bullship said:
All of it will be pt

The PT will eat away at your boat. Nice motor btw, I love my old '66 Johnson 20 HP too.
Don't use Pressure Treated wood on an aluminum boat. The copper used to treat the wood will react badly with the aluminum.

I know this....Like i said....I have a plan and it will work. I'm a contractor, so I'm pretty familiar with treated wood. You'll like my solution. Or maybe you won't. Either way, I'm doing it.

Not too much progress. This one will be simple, slow and cheap. Kind of like me. So....I'll just get it out of the way. I'm cutting out the middle bench and using treated lumber on my boat. I know those are both huge no-no's and I know why. I appreciate the concern and the wisdom, but that's the way I'm going forward with this boat. It's a beat up piece of junk, and it's mine, so I'll live with the consequences, if there are any to be had.

Cut out the middle bench!!
P1010064.jpg

Disgusting
P1010071.jpg

Deck thoughts....
P1010067.jpg

P1010069.jpg

Bling
P1010058.jpg

Made a little progress over the last couple of weeks. Cut the decks to make sure I liked the layout. No hatches. Nothing fancy. The opposite of fancy.
P1010106.jpg

Some simple framing for the front deck
P1010187.jpg

I used window tape wherever the wood touches aluminum since i'm using treated wood. I have no idea why this won't work.
P1010188.jpg

Took it out on the water last weekend. Fun!
P1010116.jpg

Made a tiller extension and some pushpole holders out of scrap pvc
P1010139.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010129-1.jpg

More scrap pvc for the switch panel
P1010195.jpg

P1010196.jpg

P1010198.jpg

Installed my new tangle free but illegal nav lights. I have a plan for that
P1010175.jpg

The most important modification so far
P1010177.jpg

As she sits
P1010197.jpg

What type of push pole do you use to pole that? I can appreciate the simplicity of it, nice job man!

It's a pine closet rod dowel. I epoxied a plywood foot to it and painted it. It pushed my last boat fine, so this one should be a piece of cake.
14a8d5b7.jpg

Sick, I'm makin one out of PVC myself, to be honest though I fly fish I hardly ever push pole anywhere, just readjust a drift to hit certain spots in the flat. Sick boat thou man. Where do you fly fish at?

Hi! Putzing around with this boat. It's had the pt in it and been sitting outside for 6 months in rain and snow and it looks just fine so far. It looks great actually. I love being able to leave the thing outside and completely forget about it for a few months without having to even think about rot repair, or decks swelling when spring shows up. PT and cheap boats go together like pimento cheese and tortilla chips for me(it's good).

I made the nav lights legal, mostly
P1010221_zps173ca1c9.jpg

Got a little paint on her
P1010687_zps64f3a132.jpg

Cut the fenders off the trailer(badly and quickly) and put some reasonably sized wheels and tires on it. Lots more work to be done on the trailer.
P1020108_zps60f77258.jpg

This cooler is nicer than my boat, and costs about the same...
P1020060_zps4a1afeba.jpg

My kid likes it, and I'm betting I can strap a car seat on it for the new baby. Almost time to fish!
P1020039_zps4274b3ee.jpg

38132_zps8951b89c.jpg

3813_zps4f32e705.jpg

Bye!

awesome job !! I like the way your bunks give full support to the whole hull. good job !!

A note about your tire rim - - - Did you fix the rusted out valve hole ?
I had the same issue on my old farm tractor and sandblasted the rim,
applied Rust-o-Leum rusty metal primer then applied a few layers of
fiberglass cloth over the hole (on the inside of the rim).
Then after it all cured, I drilled out the valve stem hole.
This will prevent the rusty metal from cutting into valve stem.

How did you fix your problem ??

Attachments

• Tire Rim.png
    Tire Rim.png
    573.2 KB · Views: 347
I freakin love this post. I have a really cheap boat and trailer combo and have the same "who cares" attitude about it. You're a lot further along than I however. Keep it up!!

Latest posts