14ft Mirrocraft tri hull (First timer)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAsports06rf

Reaction score
I recently acquired this boat from my father. I stumbled across this site while doing some research on how to mod this boat. This forum has been a complete inspiration to me! The mods I've seen have just blown me away.

I'll take a minute to introduce myself: I'm a recent college graduate from central NY, and when I say I'm a novice with this kind of stuff it's an understatement! Being from NY, I don't have a lot of time to get work done since it will be winter very soon (I don't really have a heated place I can do work during this time.

Now, on to the boat...it is a Mirrocraft 14ft tri hull boat. It is 60" wide and measures 18" tall. I guess I should also mention that this is a fiberglass boat. I would like to do the following to it: front/rear casting decks, cooler livewell, storage, rod holders, etc. I will have a 7.5hp merc to put on the back as well as a 40lb thrust Minn Kota Traxxis for the front.

Since I am a complete novice, it would come as no surprise that I'm a little overwhelmed with the whole process, and I'm just looking for ideas and direction on how to accomplish what I want. If it seems like I'm rambling, I probably am. But I do want to give you guys as much info as I can about the boat.

I've attached a photo of her below:

As you can see, she's in rough cosmetic shape. I don't really see much wrong with the hull, though. On the inside, there does seem to be some cracking. I'm assuming it's just the old paint, but I'm not sure. I'll try to get some pics of the cracking up in the next day or so.

I am concerned with a couple of things:
1: can I lay the bracing for the decks directly on to the fiberglass, or does it need to be buffered somehow?
2: the transom is cut lower where the motor would go. Should I be concerned with that after I add the additional weight?

I know I'm asking a lot right off the bat, but I am more or less just looking for advice so I can get this done the right way. I figured if anyone can lead me in the right direction, it would be this forum! Thanks so much in advance!!

Attachments

• 2012-11-04 12.55.25.jpg
    2012-11-04 12.55.25.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,886
Nice looking boat you got. I did not know they made fiberglass boats too. The sky is the limit, but since you have a glass hull I would recommend that you use some glass board and design the decks to suit your needs. Clegecel not sure of the spelling, is a great product to use....super light and super strong and never rots. I will look for a link for ya. Welcome :beer:

This stuff is expensive but it is very strong when you apply resin.
https://nida-core.com/english/

There's more to that boat than you realize.

First thing, you should pressure her to see what you have exactly, take it to one of those coin operated car washes.

Second, inspect your transom for rot. Fiberglass boats are wood covered with fiberglass and a notorious for rotting when water penetrates the f'glass layers. To inspect your transom for rot, take a 5/16 or 3/8" drill bit and drill through the fiberglass on the inside of the transom down as low as you can (don't drill all the way through to the outside) and inspect the shavings, if they're dark and moist you have rot... if they're light colored and dry you're good to go. If your transom is good, use 3M 5200 to seal the test holes.

Third, your decking is plywood covered in fiberglass... and below your deck are wood stringers covered in fiberglass and expanding foam. If your deck has any soft spots in it, it's rotten... and so will be the stringers, and the floatation foam will be waterlogged.

Fiberglass boats are expensive and time consuming to restore, and most people don't consider them worth the time or money unless they really really like the boat or as in your case have sentimental value from being passed down by other family members.

I'm not trying to bad mouth your boat or degrade it, just thought you should know what it takes to have a safe older fiberglass boat.

Thank you guys for your helpful, honest replies.

I am a little worried about rotting now that I'm aware of it. The wood that supported the benches was rotted, so that probably doesn't speak well for the rest of the boat.

With a little luck, I'm hoping the transom and hull are ok, but if not I guess I'll be on the market for an aluminum upgrade (I have a Tracker Topper 1232 now).

I'll do a little investigating tonight when I get home.

Thanks again for the responses! I knew this was the right place to come. Even though I might have bad news for the boat, I would have never known to even look, and I could have put a bunch of money into it just to find that it's rotted. Better to find out now rather than later.

Thanks again!

Well....she's rotted....

We decided that it would not be worth the time and effort to fix.

Looking at new jons 14-15ft. I have scoped out a couple. Seems like I can get a Sylvan 1436 for about $1100, or I could go the Tracker 1542 for about the same price. The Tracker is longer and wider, but the Sylvan seems to be a slightly better built boat. Any thoughts on this guys???

I have a 2 yr old Tracker 1542 with a Merc 9.9 that I bought at the BPS in Auburn NY. I fish the Oak Orchard River in Orleans county a lot it has served me very well, and I would not be afraid to recommend this combination for river or small lake fishing.

You could pick up a nice used aluminum boat for a bunch less. Restoring them is much easier than their fiberglass kin. Usually just some painting, maybe new transom wood, and possible a few rivets. Just look it over good, maybe have a friend with experience go with you.

A simple open fiberglass boat like yours wouldn't be hard to fix up. Check out www.iboats.com

Thanks for the input, guys!!

I have been searching craigslist high and low for a decent used boat in my area, and nothing has really come. Honestly, getting a new tin boat is more my father's idea than it is mine. I told him it was no rush and we'd find a good used one, but he's determined to get a new one. Also, I think he's leaning toward getting the 14ft Sylvan. I'd like the Tracker because it's wider, but he likes the Sylvan because it's welded (his money, his choice!)

lckstckn2smknbrls: we kicked around the idea about still fixing up the fiberglass boat, but due to the time and effort, plus the resources, it just isn't in the cards for us (yet!)

We're heading to the dealer tomorrow to check them out in person. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Now, I'd like to begin work on removing the rust from the trailer, as well as painting and priming (not in that particular order :lol: ). I've read multiple posts on how to do this and this is what I've gathered:

Sandblast (or whatever it takes to clear the rust)
Prime using self etching primer (zinc oxide??)
Paint using epoxy paint??? (Would Rustoleum fall under this category?)

Has anyone had any experience with Ospho?? Would it be necessary to use this on the trailer, or is it overkill?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just a complete novice with this stuff.

dieselfixer: have you ever brought your Tracker to Oneida? How does it handle in rougher water.

I ask because I'm wondering of how plausible it would be to bring a boat like that to Oneida or possible Chaumont Bay on a calmer day. Am I being realistic? [-o<

EAsport I just now found your question on the forum so I am sorry for the late answer. I have not had my boat on Oneida Lake nor have I been in rough water. There is not a lot of free board with 2- 225lb guys and fishing gear. Maybe someone with more expertise will be able give you more info.