15' Smoker Alaskan and Two Outboards?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heron

Reaction score
What a cool forum.

Just located this spot while searching for info on Smoker boats.

I have converted a 15' Smoker Alaskan into a duck hunting boat and have a question for the experianced members of this forum. I am wanting to add a second outboard to my boat. I have the short shaft transom and am presently powered with a 25 hp evinrude 2 stroke. What I want to add is a 6 hp evinrude 2 stroke. Mainly for 2 reasons, fishing (trolling) but more importantly as a back up for my hunting situation. I hunt an area with strong tides and fairly nasty weather at times so a second power option is great insurance. While I have considered a little bigger boat, this sized boat gets into the shallow hunting areas with ease and 2 guys can get it to water if need be when left high and dry by tides.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Just not sure the best way to get it done.

Well the first thing would be to check the capacity plate and make sure the boat can handle the weight of two outboards, passengers, and gear.

This should not be any problem that I can see, as the boat has a capacity of 850lbs and rated for up to 35 hp. The 25 weighs approx. 90lbs and the 6 is not more that 60lbs. This should leave another 700lbs for people and gear. When set up for duck hunting there is never more than 2 guys and a dog aboard, well under the listed capacity.

I tried going to the Smoker Craft site to look up the Alaskan, but I can't, for my computer is a Communist (it doesn't work). If someone knows how to fix it, I would be ever most grateful. :roll:

Anyway, what is the transom configuration for that rig? 15 inch transom? Got any pics?

Alright, I managed to find a couple pictures on a Google Image search (wonder why I couldn't get to smoker craft's site), and it looks as if your boat has a 15 inch transom, that curves up to 20 inch sides. See if you can mount the 6 horse as far to the port as possible, tilt it up, and turn it to port. You might just have room for the 25 to turn full to port.

How would moving the main motor (25hp) a little off from dead center effect the performance of the boat? Could this be an option to consider?

Latest posts