15' starcraft runabout conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyb

Reaction score
I am new to this site but it seems like the right place to get some questions answered. I have been looking for a boat for me and my brother to fish a large lake not far from my house in this summer. I am currently in school and only working part time so i am on a bit of a budget as far as buying a boat. But i know i want something bigger that will fit 3 of us in case a friend wants to come along with our gear. (trolling motor 2 batteries and some tackle boxes) The best deal i can find so far is this 15'6" starcraft runabout. I have been looking for info on converting it to a bass boat but havent been lucky yet. I paid 100 dollars for it and managed to get it back to my house today. What i want to know is if i can cut the front cover off making it an open boat and build up a casting deck in the front, a floor across the bottom and a deck in the back for me to stand on. I have an idea of how to build them from checking out the videos from members on youtube. Does anyone know if this would be stable enough also if this boat would even be safe without that cover over the front. i know without the right measurements noone can say for sure but any help would be appreciated. thanks
dan

Attachments

• starcraft.jpg
    starcraft.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 2,067
That bow cover on a boat without any benches might be the only real structural support for the front half of the boat. If you were to take it out even partially you would have to make sure to add structural support to the boat. You would have to make sure that those supports were fitted strongly to the sides of the boat. How one would go about doing that and knowing if it is enough, well someone else would have to answer that. I am afraid to take out my middle bench. #-o

Could you take some pictures of the inside of the boat please... I'm pretty sure you could do what you want. You have to do it smart though... like using the large style truckers ratchet straps all the way around the boat to hold its form, then remove the bow, the replace with your deck and supports going from side to side and also at least half way up each side.... Not really the kind of project I would want to do if this is your first time.

well just my luck my camera crapped out on me. but i found some pictures on the web of someone elses boat. same model and size. heres a couple of what the floor looks like. it seems like it would be a fairly stable boat since its rather heavy. so i would put about a 5 foot floor in the front with a smaller one in the back if possible. i know its not gonna be easy but im a big do it yourselfer and have a lot of power tools at home that i can use. anyone have any ideas how i would be able to add some structural support?

Attachments

• BOATfull floor.jpg
    BOATfull floor.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,976
  • BOAT floor.jpg
    BOAT floor.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,976
I don't think I would molest that boat. There are guys that would pay a couple of hundred for a starcraft hull. Just sell it and take the money and buy something else.

Do you live in NJ? I've seen that pic on Craigslist, wondering if you're from around here.

Good luck with the boat, I like the blank slate as you can do whatever you want to do.

Latest posts