16/49 Custom Flats build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then you are down in my old neck of the woods, used to fish out of Shell Beach and Hopedale with mine most of the time.

I like your flooring back by the transom. I hadn't come up with an idea for that yet, I had been using some rubber mats there. I don't have a welder, but rivets will have to do.

Road signs? I need to look into this. I have been going through all the old posts on the site for a few weeks now at the tune of twenty or thirty pages a night. Road signs…in my future.
Who to ask? Where?

Back in La, finding a boat builder with scraps should be real easy…probably drive 10 miles in any direction from anywhere.

Also, got an idea from your trailer pic. Interesting story, and very Louisiana, real Louisiana. But, back to the idea….the side mounted bunk support brackets…
I have never been able to drive on my boat, with the result of having it land on the right bunks, when I was healthier I used to use my back and lift one side and push it center after I had it pulled out of the water.
Or many times when I would launch where there was a lift….didn't have to worry about it.

I need to make some brackets that I can bolt on that will keep my side bunks from bending when I drive boat on trailer. I think I can duplicate what you have with nuts and bolts.

thanks for posting the pictures.

Thats a nice build ya got going on there. Cant wait to see it all done up in its new paint. Even with the extra $$$ you are putting in it, still a great deal for something that will work perfect for you.

Sorry been a while since I've been able to update. The boat is still at the welding shop getting the pods fabbed, so decided to replace the water pump on the motor. Wrong!! The white powder stuff that happens with steel and aluminum when left in salt water had the bolt welded in there. In the process of beating, drilling, chiseling, acid soak, and other stuff the lower housing got broke. #-o ](*,)

So found a used one on eBay for $490 in perfect shape. Well I was gonna just leave the motor with the original paint, but needed something to do and since it was already off the boat and lower pulled I decided to make it look nice and new looking. Still need to do the top cowling and put back together, but it came out looking awesome!!!!

Thanks, I can't take all the credit on the paint. Although, I did all the prep work and they say that is the most important thing. LoL. My future father in-law is the painter and laid down the paint.

Just for fun I wanted to show yall what the boat will be used for. This is the boat we use now and does great, but its just to big to trailer back and forth from the fishing hole. These are all Blue Cats caught on rod and reel in the Mississippi River.

Finally the pods are done and I pick up the boat tomorrow. Here are some pics. from my builder they are made from .125 plate so should be plenty strong enough. Since my builder is so badass and I had to make it super complicated for him with so many angles he made a mock up pod out of steel plate 1st for test fitting. Haven't seen it in person yet but it looks like it came out awesome!!!! Also got him to add a little bracket for the transducer to bolt to so I don't have to drill holes through the transom. I'll post some better pics. after I pick it up.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338710#p338710 said:
crabsandbottlecaps » 15 Jan 2014, 09:26[/url]"]How did u lay down the foam did u use and silicone to make it stick and also how did u keep the water channel's clear to the back of the boat
The foam is just sandwiched between the bottom of the boat and aluminum floor. The foam is pretty rigid so we we were able to run it through a planner till it was a perfect fit. The ribs running the length of the boat will be unobstructed. Hope I answered your question.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338736#p338736 said:
smackdaddy53 » 15 Jan 2014, 14:18[/url]"]You may look at nylon plugs for the pods, brass will eventually corrode the threads.
Yeah I really didn't like the idea of brass plugs but couldnt find anything else at the time. Nylon sounds like the ticket, now to find some that fit.

Been awhile since I've been able to work on the boat since buying a Jeep lol. But getting back on it hard lately and getting close to being done. Thought I'd update yall on the progress. Went through 1 gallon of stripper, 8 50# bags of sand, and alot of DA sanding disk on prepping the trailer. Will never do another!!! Came out good though.

Trailer is painted with 3 coats of rust sealing primer and 2 top coats from Master Coat. If you haven't heard of this stuff read up on it seems to be some badass stuff. kinda pricey though

Latest posts