1959 Plaza Craft Semi V done for now?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfbear

Reaction score
This is the second time I have modified this boat. I purchased it in 2003, for $300, boat, trailer and 1968 18 hp Evinrude. It was used hard as I found out when I started to replace the transom wood. I guess someone used it for a ski boat at some time as they had two eyebolts bolted through the transom. I found two cracks on each side where the bolts had been placed. I used some aluminum angle to beef it up before I added plywood inside and outside of transom. The first time I gutted it and used ½ “ treated plywood for flooring and small step up deck about 3 ½” above the main floor. Again because someone had attached some T aluminum in the bow. I can only guess it was a stump runner also. They did not even beat out the side that had been caved in before attaching the T aluminum.
I ran it without the bench seats and only the plywood flooring till I decided I needed to raise the front deck area to accommodate two batteries, instead of having all three in the rear. I will update this as I go along.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 4,509
I have a 'pointy' bow boat too.
I stayed with the lowest floor boards and nothing high up on that UN-steady bow to cause an accident.

I row mine. No motor at all.
So I put in a rolling rowing seat on the bottom. Now I can roll to the bow or Stern to reach what I want.
Or maybe just row really fast with long strokes, and smoke a guy with a 3 hp motor. :LOL2:

Take your time and make it really usable!

I live in Kansas if I tried to row I'd just get blown to the bank. That's why the remodel, I bought a I-pilot trolling motor so when I find the fish I can stay where the fish are.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317983#p317983 said:
thudpucker » Yesterday, 20:15[/url]"]LOL I remember Kansas being like that. No fly fishing in Kansas. You cast in Kansas and fish In Missouri.. I was in school in Denver at the time.
Yup that's Kansas.

A little more info on this boat, it’s a 14 footer and beam width of 68”, built it Dixon, Mo. The trailer as near as I can tell is a Gator, which was also abused. The tongue was bent so cut it off and added a new one somewhat longer. I don’t think they used any jigs and probably did not have much in the way of quality control when building the boat. The stringers are not laid out equally spaced, the two inner stringer are lower than the outside stringers and even they are different heights. At the transom end one is 9/16” and one is 7/16” lower than the outside stringers. Eight feet forward of transom one is about 1 1/2” lower and the other 1 ¼ “ lower.

The boat had 30 to 40 rivets that had to be re-set, to stop the leaks. I removed the front and middle bench seats along with the two side benches in back. I got lucky and did not harm the boat with the treated plywood, as it was carpeted for outside stringers and I used regular lumber under flooring support for the inside stringers. I built the side console and added an electric start to the motor. I had side by side seats at console area and 11” raised seats for and aft.

My plan is raised front deck to accommodate two batteries for trolling motor, new setup for main floor, go back to tiller steer, and side rod lockers. Only two seats one forward and one aft. I have not seen anything like this boat so it will be trial and error swearing and trial and error, and a lot of presidential solutions.
As you can see not much room in garage, can’t even walk all the way around boat. Have to move the table saw outside to get to one side. Of course after 2 years of drought it rains almost every time I even think about putting the saw outside to do some work. So this project is very slow in the making.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 4,443
I put a 'mini-deck' up front for batteries.
You have a nice flat bottom to work with. Is it thick enough to weld to?

Can the saw be set up on a 'deck' across the stern of the boat? Or get that Boat Deck finished and put the Saw inside the boat.
Soon your wife's gonna have you sleeping in that boat!!! :LOL2:

Table saw is mounted to stand and too big and heavy for that. It just would be in the way also. Gave up marriage 35 years ago. Don't even have a dog anymore. I am building from the stern forward; the deck will be last and the worst headaches. It rained again last night so while waiting for things to dry out some I came up with new idea for making the rod locker lids. More about that when I get to that stage.

The floor framing and part of rod locker frames are done. Still need to finish tying the locker uprights to the side of the boat. The square tubing is 3/4" and about .031 wall thickness, trust me with this layout it will work fine. Here are some of my presidential solutions.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 4,383
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 4,383
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 4,383
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 4,383
Some new update photos

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 4,333
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 4,333
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 4,333
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 4,333
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 4,333
I finished tying in the rod locker uprights to sides, now on to figuring out how I want to build the locker lids.

Not as deep as I would like, but it will do for now.
Those are called Hi-Loks, used in aircraft for tight places where you can't get to both sides is my understanding. They are handy, very tight fit. You have to drive them in deep enough to get the nut on, then use an allen wrench to hold bolt while you tighten them.

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 4,237
Not much progress as had some more rain, can't complain after the drought. Checked fishing reports at the reservoir a few minutes ago; rats the report for white bass, wipers and walleye is excellent; and the boat is in garage. Only one boat ram is usable out of 9 I know of and think there is a couple more.
Took some time and made some templates for rod holders, lot of cardboard and quite a bit of old 1/2'" flooring before I came up with something that should work. Only five rods per side but better than stepping on them. Still have to cut the 3/4 in plywood for final assembly, then on to locker lids. Here's what I finally came up with, still need to find tubes or make my own out of PVC

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 4,191
Been awhile since I have updated my progress, which is not going as fast as I hoped. Wind, rain, tornadoes and vehicles breaking down is slowing down this project. Finally got the rod locker lids built, now starting on bow area. It was not suppose to rain today but the weather man missed the boat. I did get the pieces cut for battery box before it started. Need to go to library any way and get service manual for my S10 as the A/C stopped working. Doubt if I can fix it but will try before I have to take it in.

Attachments

• u.jpg
    u.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1,735
  • t.jpg
    t.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 1,735
  • s.jpg
    s.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,735
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,735
  • q.jpg
    q.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,735
  • p.jpg
    p.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,735
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323669#p323669 said:
Gators5220 » 25 Jul 2013, 22:52[/url]"]Looks like some good progress to me man, nice job!
Thanks, I was beginning to think I was the only one interested in this mod.

A little more progress, but not much. Had 7 or 8 inches of rain this last week. Still need to figure out the wiring, for the life of me I can't find one of toggle switches I took out. Also trying to decide what thickness of plywood I want to use for deck and how many storage hatches I can get in the deck. Did find a waterproof case at Walmart to use for the buss bars. More rain due the next couple of days so I gotta get the yard baled from the last batch of rain.

Attachments

• y.jpg
    y.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,699
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,699
  • w.jpg
    w.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,699
  • v.jpg
    v.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,699
Got some more done in between rains. I got most of the front deck framing laid out, it is not permanent yet as I want it out of the way to clean up all the burrs and paint the inside of boat. I had to buy some clecos as the double back tape was not holding well with all the humidity.

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,663
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,663
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 1,663

Latest posts