1962 14 ft crestliner project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfrazier2525

Reaction score
this is my first boat and its a project of mine to get back on the water after it almost sank that last time out.she had a full deck that looked nice and new seats so i bought it for $400 with trailer and i got a 1954 evinrude supper twin 15hp runs great but the boat would only go walking speed.i thalt the engine was to small but idn its my first boat.the problem is that its was so heavy im a big guy but can pic up the back of it and it would not drain much water at all and was starting load it on the trailer .it was siting lower so i pulled of the deck 1 day and found pour in foum alot of it and it was full of water spent 2 weeks cleaning it out and have removed alot of weight off of it now its light but there are no benches in the boat and im not sure how to install them for support.i no it leaks and need to fix that but do i paint it or seal it with something?...long story short i dont no how to put it back together and fix the leaks will a 15hp move it with a big guy in it ? any help i would be greatfull thank s for your time

Attachments

• my.jpg
    my.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 742
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 742
Hi Mark,

Like you, I'm a pretty big guy and I used to own a 14' Valco with a 15 hp motor. With me and another passenger that motor pushed us just fine down the lake at a good clip.

Regarding replacing the benches, you could always build them from plywood (think boxes) and either rivet or weld them to the hull above the waterline.

Good luck with your project.

Scott

thanks for the reply.will start working the the boat again this week i will post updates as i i get the work done

Yes I think a 15hp should push that pretty good even though it looks like it is pretty heavily constructed. You will definitely want to add some floatation under a floorboard after any leaks are repaired and maybe in some bunks along the sides. Then maybe some pedestal seats. The way it is constructed it may not of had benches in it. Might have been a runabout. I'm sure others with more savvy than me will advise on type of foam to use.

I have a 1957 14 crestliner. Very much like yours. I would say minamum would be 25hp to begin enjoying it. With a 35 HP I was getting 24mph(GPS). 15hp would be anemic and just to under powered for me but then im a little bit of a speed freak! Now have a 50hp with console steer.
All the 14 foot info that i have read says 35hp max tiller and 60 HP max for console with a couple at 55hpmax.

Latest posts