1964 Evinrude 9.5 transom clampscrews seized

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregsfan

Reaction score
I picked up a '64 9.5HP at a garage sale. It runs OK, but both clampscrews are seized. I've tried penetrating oil, WD-40 and heat with no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

I wouldn't give up on heat.Make sure you don't get it too hot to melt it.You may have to heat it a couple of times before it comes loose.Also be careful how your applying force as to not crack off your handles.Heat,let it cool, than heat again.The expanding & contracting should break those threads loose.

soak them with liquid wrench while they are hot, the cooling process caused by the cold oil seems to suck the lubricant right in and loosen things up.

dougdad said:
soak them with liquid wrench while they are hot, the cooling process caused by the cold oil seems to suck the lubricant right in and loosen things up.
This is your best bet. LDJ :idea: :idea:

Ditto for Kroil,unbeleivable stuff, I've used it quite often,didnt know it was available for non commercial applications Mike

Another vote for PB Blaster. Awesome stuff.
My Brother-inlaw swears by Kroil, I myself have never used it.
So which ever you choose, if you get it moving work it both ways and keep spraying. That way the spray will get rid of any loose stuff as you're working it back and forth.

X2

WD-40 isnt that great as far as Im concerned. PB and some time is your friend. spray it, come back tomorrow, see if they move, spray them again and wait another day.

We had that trouble out in the Puget sound county frequently. They have those big screws as a kit. Just cut em off, drill, tap and put the new ones in.

Another trick if you can handle it is to freeze the whole assembly for awhile. Usually the Aluminum, siezed to Aluminum will come apart if its frozen.