1965 FeatherCraft Lapstrake Ski Bo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone local ever need anything blasted let me know, great guy w/ more than reasonable price. Thinking I'll get the trailer done eventually. Hope to paint this weekend but Sat it will rain all day so if Sunday doesn't pull through I might not be able to do anything for another couple days unfortunately.

I've got this idea in the back of my mind about making it into an open bow center console. Everyone that I mention this to thinks I'm crazy and shuns the idea. Haven't even said anything on the Feathercraft forum about this.. they'd prob ban me. This is still a possibility as it would make for a great fishing boat. In addition sitting on the floor while driving sucks. Esp in wake. Plus the motor on the back is an 08 model, not a classic merc/johnson. "Modern Feathercraft SemiV Center Console Fishing boat". Hasn't been done I guess b/c not many are as heartless as I. *Never end a sentence in a preposition.

Attachments

• propo.JPG
    propo.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,251
  • clip1.JPG
    clip1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 3,249
Went to a discount store over the weekend and picked up ea. of these for $25 a piece. Hopefully they will hold together in the weather. Also got the boat off the trailer and first coat of paint on the bottom of the hull.

Attachments

• cover3.jpg
    cover3.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 3,241
  • cover2.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 3,241
  • cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 3,241
Got to finish the outside of the hull this weekend. Thinking I placed the decals bit high.

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 3,211
  • lrft.jpg
    lrft.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 3,211
  • under.jpg
    under.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 3,211
Finally got some time this weekend to work on the boat again. I removed the FC decals and placed them a bit lower, painted the deck and inside of the boat, covered the dash, mounted the motor, and am going through the cables and wiring now.

Today I'll 5200 some spots on the floor, finishing dash, and maybe get the floor installed.

Attachments

• fc12.jpg
    fc12.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 3,193
  • fc13.jpg
    fc13.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 3,193
  • fc11.jpg
    fc11.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 3,193
  • fc10.jpg
    fc10.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 3,193
  • fc09.jpg
    fc09.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 3,193
There is a boat like this right around the corner from me..I really like the way they look....good fun boat. I am thinking about trading my starcraft for it......as soon as I finish my mirrorcraft...... :lol:

Bring it on! I've been using my neighbors since mine collapsed. Still have to cut his yard.. There is also a public ramp 1/2 mile down the road too, also one just opened at the Perdido bridge, Baldwin co. spent 2.1m on that ramp!

IMO you spend that kind of money it should launch the boat for you..

Attachments

• ped.JPG
    ped.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 3,184
  • 10546598-large.jpg
    10546598-large.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,184
Nice, but I vote center console and leave the bow enclosed. Build a big storage drawer or fish box that will slide out from under the bow. It will be mighty bumpy sitting that far forward IMO. Trade for a 40-50hp. Make it scream!

Leaving it enclosed and using a cc... Interesting idea. Not sure if my teleflex is long enough if CC goes past where the front seats were though.. No interest in a bigger motor, I'm happy having something so fresh and new.

Later this week I'll be meeting with some folks that operate a SAR team for the area and I might just sell off this hull and go with something that could be of more practical tactical use if I join up. Building a SAR/Fishing boat would be awesome! Saving/Finding someone in need worth much more than any boat.

Someone is looking at the boat tonight that is interested in buying just the hull/trailer, shhh!

lol dude don't sell the **** thing! also that boat launch is where i use to fish onshore under the bridge, i'v pulled in some pretty big cats under that bridge. and Agreed on the boat launch lay down some slabs and call it good who needs all the extra crap as long as i can get in an outta the water that's all that matters to me.

There are only a few things I won't sell. Everything else has a price. Got sometime to work on it some more this afternoon. Installed the steering, and ran the wiring. Threw the floor and windshield on for potential buyer to see.. I used sump pump hose from Lowes to conceal the teleflex, shifting cables, and wiring. $10 for 24'.

Attachments

• fc13.jpg
    fc13.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 2,252
  • fc12.jpg
    fc12.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 2,252
  • fc11.jpg
    fc11.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 2,252
Looks good =D> I am no doctor but you may have a little problem with buying, fixing, and getting rid of boats. Well if your gona be sick I guess theres worst things you could have. :LOL22:

Good luck with the sale and let us know what your next project will be.

Potential buyer was scared away by a 2/3 finsihed project. Note to self and others it's best not to show something until it is complete. Decided I'd float the boat today instead of more work. Didn't get anything done aside from making a beer or two go empty. The bay was very rough so I got soaked, hadn't put the windshield back on yet though it probably wouldn't have saved me. Thankfully it wasn't cold.

Attachments

• 03061641.jpg
    03061641.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 2,242
JamesM56alum said:
Thats a sign you should keep it...

You were right James, I've searched hard for a new hull this week with nothing to show. Came very close to an alweld 1448 for $600! and fell through. Then found a 1648 and it fell through. Then I had this fella bring over his boat, a Monark 1448 (pic below). $900 for hull and trailer, $1500 for the whole setup. Now it has fell through b/c of motor issues and transom won't fit my motor. So I've decided to KEEP the Feather, open the bow, and fab a center console. The last one I made for my 12v turned out really nice. Incredibly ugly in the beginning but after a lot of sanding, fill, paint, etc it was A+.

Pic 1 Monark
Pic 2 Last CC I built from Ply
Pic 3 Beginning of the Feathers CC

Attachments

• cc1.jpg
    cc1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 2,226
  • cc2.jpg
    cc2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,226
  • mon.jpg
    mon.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 2,226
Anytime James!

Went to Home Depot last night, picked up some fancy floor paint I'll post up later. Has a very rough texture similar to stucco that I'll be using on the console too.. Pics later. Today I'll be opening the bow and hopefully finishing the floor panels. Got the console 90% last night after the boat show. Thank you day light savings time. Plans for it aside from a control box and steering wheel: GPS mounted atop, compass, cup holder/s!, rod holders, and just maybe a pull out for some tackle. Also thought of an umbrella holder too, no tower as it will get in the way.

The belt sander makes it look like I can cut straight. :---)

Attachments

• console1.JPG
    console1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,217
  • console2.JPG
    console2.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,217
I picked up floor coating, also looked at the sand additive and thought about what you said the other day. Pics of it hopefully tomorrow if the weather is nice. Been working past three nights non stop on the boat. Lots accomplished. No paint yet so it looks a bit trashy but it's coming together. The inlaws are coming into town Thurs so I'm going to do my best to finish it tomorrow, or come close enough to get it on the water by then, crossed fingers. Picked up a remote spot light too!

What remains:
Paint the inside of the bow
Run electrical for Nav Lights and Bilge
Paint Floor & Console
5200 Seams
Install floor

All the other wiring, cables, teleflex, switches, etc... all done.

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,195
  • light.JPG
    light.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,195
  • finecut.jpg
    finecut.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2,195