1966 40 HP Johnson Sea Horse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have that very same motor. i got mine from a guy that had it rebuilt then sat for 3 years. after i got it it sat for another 3 years. i finally got a boat, rebuilt the carb, and the old girl fired right up. runs good....

whitetigertas said:
i have that very same motor. i got mine from a guy that had it rebuilt then sat for 3 years. after i got it it sat for another 3 years. i finally got a boat, rebuilt the carb, and the old girl fired right up. runs good....

Do you have it running with the cables and controls and everything? It's the Electramatic? If so, can you take a bunch of pictures of the set up you have like the wiring, starter box, etc? The more the better. Before I put any money into this thing I need to know how to start it, too.

How do you connect it to the battery? Black to black red to red, or black to ground on the motor? I finally have a stand, so I would like to test it out this week. THe more help you can provide the better, please!

ober51 said:
Do you have it running with the cables and controls and everything? It's the Electramatic? If so, can you take a bunch of pictures of the set up you have like the wiring, starter box, etc? The more the better. Before I put any money into this thing I need to know how to start it, too.

How do you connect it to the battery? Black to black red to red, or black to ground on the motor? I finally have a stand, so I would like to test it out this week. THe more help you can provide the better, please!

i dont have it running with controls as they are not needed for testing. all johnson/evinrude 40 hp motors have a magneto ingnition system so they can start and run on their own. i have a starter on mine and just grounded motor and bumped the starter lead with positive. ill send you the schematics through pm. ill post pics tomm.

whitetigertas said:
ober51 said:

i dont have it running with controls as they are not needed for testing. all johnson/evinrude 40 hp motors have a magneto ingnition system so they can start and run on their own. i have a starter on mine and just grounded motor and bumped the starter lead with positive. ill send you the schematics through pm. ill post pics tomm.

Thanks, I am looking to get this going at some point soon. Appreciate the help.

Gas the motor been running well? If this thing has good compression is it worth me plunking a couple hundred to or so to have it as a future motor?

Anyone know if these controls would work with my Sea Horse? I have attached pictures. The guy says, "The only # I see is on back casting, #206699, these controls came off an early 1970's 3 cylinder 65HP Evinrude, but will will most Johnson & Evinrude's from that era that have electric shift."

What do you guys think? It looks like mine, but with a lot longer cables?

Attachments

• his controls1.jpg
    his controls1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • hiscontrols2.jpg
    hiscontrols2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,075
this is what you need to do to get your motor ready to run.
first identify the two wires coming from the magneto. they are located behind the starter.
one should connect to the safety switch like this....
IMG00018.jpg
the other wire should connect to nothing, simply touch this wire to ground to turn engine off.
IMG00017.jpg
now hook up your battery with ground on motor
IMG00019.jpg
touch the starter with the positive
IMG00020.jpg
if it doesnt fire adjust your choke
IMG00021.jpg

Thanks a lot! I will have to do this either tomorrow or whenever it's nice out. I need to get the stand ready and look at this closely. In the first picture, those two wires should be coming out of my motor already? And this may be silly but that black clip, that's the ground for the battery? WHere is the other end connected? Again, I've never done ANYTHING with motors, so I am literally new as heck at this! WHen you say now hook up your battery with the ground on the battery, can you explain that further? Where exactly am I hooking it up - the red and black wires coming out of the motor directly to the battery? Then where is the ground going to and connected to?

I feel better and a bit more confident, but still want to make sure I do everything correctly and not ruin it before I begin!

yes those two wires are already on the motor and the clamp ( ground ) is the negative on the battery. use the positive for the starter.

whitetigertas said:
yes those two wires are already on the motor and the clamp ( ground ) is the negative on the battery. use the positive for the starter.

Great, thanks. I will see if I can get some help to put the motor on a stand then see if it fires. Thanks again, will post back with results soon.

Latest posts