1969 Gruman Flat Bottom, Aluminum, V Hull, 13ft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingDarius

Reaction score
Hello Tinboats community!

This is the most helpful online community EVER. The wealth of info on here is incredible! I had questions here but I guess I'm supposed to ask questions in the "Boathouse" so i have deleted them.

Ill keep posting pictures of my progress.

Thanks!

IMO, the sanding would be the first step as you need to remove the oxidation in order for sealer, primer/paint to form a good bond to the aluminum. I don't know about your location but the Home Depot and Lowes in my area don't carry 3m 5200. As for the specs, look on the back right side of the boats transom and see if you can find the hull identification number on it. With that number you should be able to find some info on the boat.

Ok guys here's my update.

So far, I sawed the benches out. i had to actually use a metal cutter to get the back on out because the back seat brace was still riveted to the bottom. The other benches had already broke away. I spent about 3 hours on getting the benches out. Then I started scraping out the bedliner. 8 hours of that and no skin on my knuckles. Today I spent more time scraping and started sanding. More sanding to go...

I decided to try to get as much of the bedliner off as I could.

Once its sanded, Im going to put a new bedliner in so help seal it up.

I feel like Im in over my head haha.

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 709
Welcome to tin boats! I think you might want to put on the 5200 before the self etching primer. I am kinda asking the same question now. My boat is already painted on the bottom and I bought some 5200 and want to seal them, but I dont know if I can apply it over the painted surface and then repaint after it has cured.

I am pretty sure if you put the 5200 on first that will provide the best results.

Let me know if you find out any info!

And enjoy your build. I have had so much fun with mine!

Latest posts