1970 Johnson 6hp 2 stroke tiller handle alignment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkytech

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1970 Johnson 6hp 2 stroke tiller, and the handle rotation seems limited, and doesn’t seem to rotate completely through its range to where all the speed markings are. I read these are only basic indicators, but mine doesn’t rotate clockwise anywhere near “stop”, although everything functions fine. My OCD wants it to align at least slightly. Is there some sort of fix, or is this normal?

Not sure if 6 Hp is same as my 18, but on mine the handle pivot gears where not sync'd correctly, limiting range. I had to take the handle apart (not real hard) to get it meshed right. It took several tries, as it was not obvious on which teeth go to the other when I was assembling.

Look at it closely before you take it apart to see what is stopping it from moving.

Don't get too concerned with the writing on the handle.. but do check the linkage is allowing full throttle and timing plate movement. It is possible that the handle has enough wear and the gear at the handle hinge may have jumped a tooth.

Some outboards will only allow a little throttle movement unless it's in gear, so ensure that's not the case before taking apart.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The handle seems to move through the range from stop to full throttle, but the dot doesn’t align correctly. I haven’t previously owned a small tiller like this, so I’m still figuring out the mechanics of it.

Tilt the handle as far up and back as it will go.
Underneath you will see the gears.
There should be one gear that has a single wide tooth and the other one has a corresponding single wide gap.
Align the two or verify they are already aligned.
The throttle position indicator band should have a slot in it. This corresponds with a raised rib on the handle casting. Verify it is properly in place.
Other adjustments would include pick-up timing, mixture, etc........all of which will affect where the "stop" point and idle and start is.

Once again, appreciate the advice! I took the handle completely apart to clean and lube everything. Everything is aligned correctly (gears, indicator), it’s just that the handle doesn’t physically rotate all the way to “Stop” on the indicator. It will only rotate clockwise to the position between “Shift” and “Slow”, although it does stop the motor when rotated to this position. Functionally everything works great. I wasn’t sure if there were any other adjustments? I haven’t looked inside the cowling to see what adjustments may be there, if any, so that it allows rotation all the way to “Stop”, and doesn’t rotate past “Fast”.

Latest posts