1970 johnson 9.5 stop switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlec

Reaction score
I got a 1970 johnson 9.5 outboard. This is my first ever outboard motor. Bought it with a bad stop switch. The switch is a little black push button. I found it on boats.net for 50 dollars but i was wondering if i could wire a toggle switch or my brother in law said a ignition switch or what bout a kill switch? Would either idea work?

You can use about any switch for this. If it is a switch that is spring loaded to return to the "run" position, be sure that it is a normally open switch. It will have to close to ground your coils and kill the engine.

Its just a piece of metal in the top of the rubber button that get pushed down to the two terminals. What would be the best route? Toggle switch or kill switch?

You should be able to find a dead man switch and lanyard for 10 to 15 dollars. Look on ebay.

Not the same motor...but I just rebuilt the stop button on my 1975 Merc 20hp.

The wires were corroded and broke off. As you stated they wanted like $50 for a new one. I just popped off the little metal "nipples", drilled out the old wire and soldered new ones into place. I put it all back together this morning and it works.

Other than my wires being coroded, about a 1/4 inch of the threaded end broke off. Hopeing to stop at the marine an pick up a kill switch

Littlec said:
I got a 1970 johnson 9.5 outboard. This is my first ever outboard motor. Bought it with a bad stop switch. The switch is a little black push button. I found it on boats.net for 50 dollars but i was wondering if i could wire a toggle switch or my brother in law said a ignition switch or what bout a kill switch? Would either idea work?

Here is a nice little article about kill switches and how to install a kill switch. You should be able to attach the universal kill switch to the already existing lines.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/max/3/free.cfm

https://www.iboats.com/Seadog-Universal-Kill-Switch/dm/cart_id.736635348--session_id.995310943--view_id.39677

Good luck and safe boating!! :D

Latest posts