1972 Eska 5 or 5.5 HP outboard issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romysrealm

Reaction score
My son just got this for a trolling motor for a dinghy. It runs great if on high speed or low speed but in between it just sputters. He cleaned out the carb which did not appear to have any issues, he is a carb guy and enjoys that. Being 15, he could use advise from someone familiar with these.

I had a sears 5hp made by eska. Think mine was a 1978. If yours is like mine it has no reverse or neutral and is air cooled. Mine was incredibly finicky and ran just like yours , it only ran well at just the right speed at even then it would run hot after 15min. Best thing I ever did was sell it. Good luck

I have a 1972 4.5 Eska. Like anything else they are great if taken care of and tuned to their original specs. If you do a google search for your motor you will probably come across some posts on iboats by a member named mccrabs. He seems to be an eska guru. He also has a group on yahoo dedicated to these outboards. Track him down and I'm sure he can be of great help.

Latest posts