1973 7hp Gamefisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 7hp Gamefisher? (1973) with tank, and battery box for $150. Is that too much or a good deal? They don't know if it runs... I figure I can check on that though.

Any thing to watch for? Price suggestions? Opinions on motor itself?

I've got a 1976 7.5 Ted Williams. Your's should be about the same as mine. Air cooled, with pump to cool exhaust tube. IF it doesn't run, it can't be a whole lot wrong with it.. No fancy electronics or fuel injection. I'm no expert on these motors, but will be glad to help all I can.

It has a Tecumseh power head and there are some parts still available.I wouldn't give that much for a non runner.I got a 5HP Gamefisher that was thought to be a non runner for free.I'd offer $75.At least you can part it out on ebay and make your money back at $75.

I'm going to be in the studio pretty much all weekend, but I'm going to try to get out there in the next couple of days. I figure that if I can't turn it over I'll leave it alone, otherwise I'll go for it. Definitely not at that price though.

I figure if I can get it to start and it runs for more than 30 seconds... I'll offer $100, less $75.

if I can't get it to start, I'll probably just offer $50. I'm not in any rush to buy a motor right now since the season is coming to an end around here anyways. It would be nice to get out on a lake with a decent motor a couple of times before it gets too cold though.

That year Gamefisher is direct drive.There is no shifting in or out of F-N-R.If the motor will start or atleast feels solid,watch the prop.If it turns the lower is good.I held the prop on mine,disconnected the plug wire,and slowly pulled the cord to make sure the bottom end is solid.Always check the lower gear case oil.As stated earlier, the engine is air cooled, the exhaust is water cooled, so watch for water coming out of the top of the lower unit.No water mist is a sign of bad impeller which is still available on ebay.

thanks for the info guys. I ended up not getting this motor. Held out a bit and just found a Mercury 110, 9.9HP on the bay $305. Should be picking it up on Sunday. Can't wait to get this sucker out into the water with a real motor!

Latest posts