1973 Starcraft Star Trek 18' project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Trey

Reaction score
I thought I would make my first post a project thread. This is my new project boat. Hopefully going to end up being a first class fishing boat with room for family and seaworthy enough for our family adventures.
It is in very good shape with low hours on the engine. The first thing that needs addressing is the front deck. The supporting aluminum is all good but the wood needs replacing. I do a lot of crappie fishing spider rig style and will add side by side seat mounts, rod holders, bow mount electronics and upgrade the trolling motor.
Here are a few pics of the boat before I get started.

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1047.jpg

Notice the missing end cap. Anybody out there that has a line on one I would greatly appreciate and info.

DSC_1056a.jpg

Here is the front deck that needs replacing

DSC_1051.jpg

After tear out

DSC_1062.jpg

I plan on putting in a temporary deck here with the intention of replacing the entire deck down the road and adding a forward in deck live well and storage.
Right now I just want to be able to fish out of it. :)
I'll continue posting as the work progresses.

Attachments

• DSC_1056.jpg
    DSC_1056.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,528
I loved my 16' starcraft, and did a full resto just like you are about to do. These boats are easy to work on and fun to fix!! I just love that setup in a CC.

And guess what?? Its your lucky day, because I had to replace those caps too, and I know a seller on ebay that makes them for $100 a pair!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starcraft-Boat-Transom-End-Caps-Pair-/281383802558?hash=item4183c816be:g:6ucAAOSwT6pVntoT

And heres the just right side for $55. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starcraft-Boat-Transom-End-Cap-STARBOARD-RIGHT-side-/281745313287?hash=item4199544e07:g:69sAAOSwMmBVntoR

Excellent!
Those end caps look like the ticket
Probably order a pair and replace them both.
Business lets up this week so I might be fishing next :)
Not sure what I will do with the center console. Getting rid of the added on top box and dropping that windshield down for sure.
I have thought about making it a side console with a a Lowe console. It sure would open up the floor

rotus623 said:
I loved my 16' starcraft, and did a full resto just like you are about to do. These boats are easy to work on and fun to fix!! I just love that setup in a CC.

And guess what?? Its your lucky day, because I had to replace those caps too, and I know a seller on ebay that makes them for $100 a pair!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starcraft-Boat-Transom-End-Caps-Pair-/281383802558?hash=item4183c816be:g:6ucAAOSwT6pVntoT

And heres the just right side for $55. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starcraft-Boat-Transom-End-Cap-STARBOARD-RIGHT-side-/281745313287?hash=item4199544e07:g:69sAAOSwMmBVntoR

Very nice. Like what you did there.
Nice Yamaha power.
I hope to make this a 2 purpose boat as well.
I want to do a removable rear bait well like you have and then an in deck front livewell for holing crappie and such.
It will be a while before I get to that though. Thinking about doing it at the same time I pull the deck. I want to get a new floor down first.
Mechanically she seems great. I got 34 mph out of here last week and she cruised real nice at 25 or so. I expect that may come up a bit as I figure out how she likes to run.

Thats actually an evinrude back there. Best motor I ever owned! I used spar urethane for the floor, three coats. If I had to do it again I would just bite the bullet and get marine grade plywood. Then I'd cover it with Nautilus marine vinyl. Just my experience......

**** my eyes. I like Evinrude as well. Have a 1976 15hp Evinrude on my little boat that has never missed a lick.
The 75 Mercury on the Starcraft seems solid.
I have no experience with Mercury or a motor this large. Hopefully it is a good one.

That Mercury sure looks pretty from the outside. Normally a motor that looks that good functions just as well, in my experience. That 75 merc will likely outrun my '84 75 merc that was on my 16'. My top speed was 36.

rotus623 said:
Thats actually an evinrude back there. Best motor I ever owned! I used spar urethane for the floor, three coats. If I had to do it again I would just bite the bullet and get marine grade plywood. Then I'd cover it with Nautilus marine vinyl. Just my experience......
Marine plywood will rot just as fast as exterior grade plywood if it's not sealed properly.
Never use pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
rotus623 said:
Marine plywood will rot just as fast as exterior grade plywood if it's not sealed properly.
Never use pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat.

Yes, certainly do NOT use pressure treated directly against aluminum. I disagree about the marine grade wood comment. The marine ply that was on my '84 Starcraft was still in really good shape when I pulled the floor up 30 years later, except for one soft spot. It wouldn't hurt to use some spar urethane on it though.

I used CDX and 3 coats of spar urethane. Im sure it will last for years, but I just worried about the screw holes that I had to drill in it to set the rivets. I still tried to coat the inside but Im not confident that it won't start rotting in the rivet holes.

A good sealer for the plywood is a home made mix called the Old Timers Formula.
It's one part Boiled Linseed Oil, one part Spar Varnish or Spar Urethane and two parts Mineral Spirts.
There is nothing in Marine plywood that makes it rot resistant. A good less expensive alternative is ACX plywood.

Latest posts