1974 Sears Starcraft 16ft V-bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoney1964

Reaction score
Hey friends! I had some health issues since Feb 05 and have been desiring to get my boat back on the water again. It was sad to look at it today and see 05 on the license sticker. I got my son out there this afternoon and we managed to remove the benches, wash the inside, turn it over and sand the bottom with 400 wet/dry sand paper.
So, this is where some friends advice can be very appreciated. What's my next step? Would you advise more sanding or am I ready for primer. I dont really know what to use on it either. I plan on rolling it or I should say having my son roll it. Ha! He is the 14 year old with the strong back. The outside was oxidized and was blue looking but the more you sand the greener the tint come out.
I am planning on putting indoor outdoor carpet inside on top of plywood because I have trouble walking on uneven surfaces. It will have 3 individual seats down the middle with a storage tray about a foot wide on both sides.
I dont want any high platforms. I want all 3 seats on the same level, so I have to figure out a lot to say the least.
I realize I am behind the curve but at least its getting some attention. I will be keeping it covered also. I am open for any comments.
I am in southern Indiana if I have any experts in my area. :)

Attachments

• Starcraft.jpg
    Starcraft.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Starcraft 2.jpg
    Starcraft 2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Starcraft 3.jpg
    Starcraft 3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Starcraft 4.jpg
    Starcraft 4.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1,476
:WELCOME:

Boat looks like it is in great shape! I like the idea of a level carpeted floor!

Building and using the boat will bring great memories for you and your son. :beer:

You said the outside was oxidized, so I'm guessing it is bare aluminum right now? If it is bare aluminum it has been said many times on this forum that you need to use a self etching primer in order to get good adhesion to bare aluminum. I don't know really but I personally followed their advice. What kind of paint were you planning on using?

I sprayed mine on but it is kinda a pain it takes as long or longer to clean the sprayer than it takes to spray the boat, and mine is a 14' starcraft. It turned out great though!

and ohh btw you asked if you should sand more or paint it, and I would say if you were using as fine of a grit as you say and your even asking that question, the answer is just paint it! But of course that is really up to you, and also depends on the kind of paint/level of gloss you are going to use.