1979 16ft LOWELINE JUMBO-V FINAL CHAPTER

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
Well ive finally got everything removed from my previous two modifications and am stoked to be starting the final modification. i learned a lot of do's and dont's from the first two so im confident this will be it! ive got all my aluminum sheet(3/16 1/8 1/4), SS hardware, wire(4-20 guage AWG), paint prep materials(havent decided on a color scheme #-o wich is a tough one). im sure i'll be looking for a few suggestions or ideas on a few details but have my plan of attack pretty much set in stone. i'll post up some pics of the boat as a shell later today and more as i move along this winter.

On a side note, im doing my trailer too and wi'll need suggestions because i have a million ideas but no clue whats best for what i want but that will come after im finished up with Irene (yes thats the name my grandpa gave her when he brought her home). ive wondered why ive never seen anyone else mention naming or a name for their boats, dont ya know its bad luck to not have a name for your boat! :D

Just giving you a hard time.

What is a Jumbo-V?

How wide deep, etc......Jonesing for another deep V project here. (no offense at all of course to the Jon boat guys-If I could have TWO boats I'd have one of those too 8) )

EDIT:=Can't wait for pictures

LonLB said:
Just giving you a hard time.

What is a Jumbo-V?

How wide deep, etc......Jonesing for another deep V project here. (no offense at all of course to the Jon boat guys-If I could have TWO boats I'd have one of those too 8) )

EDIT:=Can't wait for pictures

i know ya were :D
the jumbo-V was lowelines largest model in theyre V class for 1980(but they came out in late 79.like cars do) there was the skipper-V(12-14ft) sport-V(12-14ft) superior-V(14-16ft) and the jumbo-V wich has a little bit bigger beam,depth and load capacities. funny lil story, my title says its a superior-V but the coast guard tag says its a jumbo. and my grandpa bought it new in 79 so i dont know why the title says that???

its 16ft long,has a 65"beam and has a max depth of 27" dry hull weight of 260lbs and rated for 40hp max. and 825lbs max. load capacity with motor,persons and gear. oh and it came in 16" and 20" transom, mines 16"

its 16ft long, has a 65" beam

heres the pics of what im starting with and i added some from before that are labeled 2nd chapter, its gonna be pretty much the same exept the small deck on the bow will be level with the gunwales, and some other small details.045 (2) (640x480).jpg020 (640x480).jpg024 (640x480).jpg006 (2) (640x480).jpg013 (3) (640x480).jpg005 (640x359).jpg004 (640x359).jpg002 (640x359).jpg003 (640x359).jpg006 (359x640).jpg

i was wondering if any of you guys had an idea for bracing/supporting where i removed my middle bench that would follow the contour of the sides and run under the floor? i have an idea but i wanna see what you guys might think before i decide. that and the floor support is gonna be the first thing im gonna do and then build around that. any floor ideas are welcome too... thanks.

Only thing I can think of to brace the sides are side boxes. Add storage and brace the boat at the same time.

LonLB said:
shawnfish said:
LonLB said:
Only thing I can think of to brace the sides are side boxes. Add storage and brace the boat at the same time.
lenghtwise?

ya like this

i made a u shaped brace that follows the hull/sides contour out of some aluminum channel thats completely hidden under the floor on the bottom and is not in the way on the sides at all, but i think im gonna use it and put some boxes on both sides also, i'll still have almost 3 feet of open floor space with the boxes wich will still give me plenty of room as i will only have one(two when motoring) seat base being used while(hardly ever) fishing. that brings up the question of how to frame the boxes to make it all sturdy and as light as possible? i do know i will have one peice of the frame running from the front deck to the back deck, that will make the boxes over a foot deep. any ideas are needed and welcome...

should i protect the inside of the hull in any way before applying 2 part pourable foam? gonna clean up the inside of the hull today and hopefully pour foam, im thinking i should apply something but i have no idea what....

well i was just about to mix my foam and a little light came on in my head, ive always wondered why the wood on my transom only covered the top half??? i dont remember seeing that on anyone elses boat so im removing it and replacing it from top to bottom before i do anything else. i'll get pics from the start and post them up tomorrow when i get as far as i can....

got the transom off this morning and was suprised to see it was two seperate peices, a 1 inch peice and a 3/8th inch peice that were not even glued together. i will say it was solid as a rock and probally would have been fine to leave in but now i will have peice of mind. i wanted to replace it with it covering the whole transom but see now im gonna have to leave a few inches uncovered at the bottom or i would never get it back in without some cutting wich i do not wanna do.

064 (640x359).jpg063 (640x359).jpg062 (640x359).jpg056 (640x359).jpg053 (640x359).jpg049 (640x359).jpg048 (640x359).jpg045 (640x359).jpg

any suggestions on what 2 sizes and kind of wood to equal the 1 and 3/8ths and if i should pour the foam right on top of the aluminum or aplly something first?

Well...

I used 3 pieces of 1/2 marine....which actually made mine a bit thicker, but that's a good thing.