1980 14' mirro craft deep fisherman project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80mirrocraft

Reaction score
so i got this boat last year with the intensions of converting it, i did a lot of research and got this boat dirt cheap. the trailer was junk but it came with a 1978 evinrude 18hp. and i had already found another 14' boat with a foot operated trolling motor, seat mounts, anchor cranks and mint trailer for dirt cheap, so i bought both, took everything i wanted and sold the other and came out basically spending $50 total!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399983875.808158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399983900.841648.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399983921.875649.jpg

next i started the first build i did late in the season last year. i wanted a full deck on the entire thing. so i used 2x4s upright on the sill in the back and 2x10s on the sill up front. then i made braces and topped it all with 5/8 ply. i knew i would want to change it and make adjustments and put storage in so for the first build i went cheap and figured when its all done and im happy with it ill tare it apart and do it with pt.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399984142.208795.jpg

well after taking it out only a couple times i knew i would be taring it apart and doing it over. it was a little too heavy and too high of a deck. so this year i tore it apart and did build number two
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399984293.442087.jpg

i got the carpet and glue but i plan on ripping everything back off and doing it over with pt and making a battery compartment in the front and a dry storage box, hopefully a rod locker on the side and making a low floor with pedestal seats. i also want to paint it inside and out... more pics to come!

Do not use PT, it will have adverse reactions with the aluminum and eat holes where it touches. There are many threads that discuss this topic. If I had to do mine all over, I would lighten it up just like you did......I like mine, but it was a better ride with less weight.

Do not be afraid to ask questions, there are some really good people on here that will help you along on your rebuild.

It's great to see another similar hull take shape, it provides needed inspiration for those bleh days. Hope to see more progress.

Tanzini said:
It's great to see another similar hull take shape, it provides needed inspiration for those bleh days. Hope to see more progress.

the last 3 days since i took it out last I've been reading everyones story's from similar hulls to get ideas and inspiration. i picked up some 2x4s yesterday and i think I'm going to start working on it today as long as the weather holds out. ill take picks every step of the way!

off topic... hers the first boat i redid last year that gave me the push i needed to do a bigger boat!

12' starcraft with a 6hp johnson before and after

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400157052.847104.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1400157119.613566.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1400157181.013370.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1400157211.246462.jpg

lot of good memories with this boat... lot of work and wish i still had it for a small lake i like to fish...

trying to get some opinions on plywood... im doing a flat deck and the "joices" will be about 1 1/2' spaced apart... should i use 5/8 or 3/4? in a perfect world were weight wasn't a factor i would use 3/4 but it is very heavy so I'm leaning toward 5/8? or if anyone has any other opinions on what you used let me know. i already got one roll of outdoor carpet and glue.

I initially used 1/2 ply and didn't feel it was stout enough in some places. I ended up going with 3/4 which I sort of regret due to the weight. Although, it may end up lighter than the previous owner's decking and that had a top speed of 23ish mph and handled Lake Erie well. If I had to do it again I would use 5/8.

anddd... lol anyone got ideas for a replacement aluminum trim piece that goes over the transom? i dont know what you call it? like the trim piece... im going to replace the transom too but it was missing that trim piece that goes over the transom that kind of holds the wood to the boat... more for looks than anything

I ran into the same issue. I've PMed Dobsonfly a while back and he said he got his directly from mirrocraft, but he had to bend it himself. I followed his advice and attempted to find a local metal shop to see if they had any channel aluminum to no avail. I'm probably going to order the some thin gauge aluminum channel from an online place. I just have to remember the dimensions and check to see what alloy bends easily.

ok thanks tanzini!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400893345.777540.jpg

first coat of paint is on! cheaped out and used rustoleum black gallon and rolled it on... prepped it real good... see how it looks in the morning and maybe put another coat on... anyone used rustoleum before?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401109631.295350.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401109638.562664.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401109644.896158.jpg

well i was up til 3am last night finishing it so i could take the little guy out fishing today and am pretty happy with the results... got a few odds n ends to do in the morning more pics to come!

I like the looks of your boat a lot. Congrats on a sweet ride.

Question for you... I want to do something very very similar with mine using a flat floor and no decks. I'm also looking at doing three removable seat posts like yours as well. Are yours the basic Swivl-Eze 3/4" pin type? I want to use that kind as well... lower cost and I like the offset post that is available. Supposedly they are rated at only 5 mph max. I know yours is a pretty new rig, but did you notice anything shifting, etc with those seat posts/bases?

Thanks

fishjunky said:
I like the looks of your boat a lot. Congrats on a sweet ride.

Question for you... I want to do something very very similar with mine using a flat floor and no decks. I'm also looking at doing three removable seat posts like yours as well. Are yours the basic Swivl-Eze 3/4" pin type? I want to use that kind as well... lower cost and I like the offset post that is available. Supposedly they are rated at only 5 mph max. I know yours is a pretty new rig, but did you notice anything shifting, etc with those seat posts/bases?

Thanks

hey sry it took so long to get back to ya... yes they are the 3/4 pin swivel eaze, no they hold up fine at speed... i reinforced the bases with 2x4s going both ways so there pretty solid!

Latest posts