1980 Bass Tracker Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been following Tinboats for a long time and now I need some help. I just Bought a 1980 Bass Tracker (pics will come soon!) and i need to change the old flooring and carpet. Since im doing this restoration, i thought i might as well paint the boat too. I was wondering what you guys use to paint your boats? Could i use Tremclad or Dupli-color? What gives the best results and lasts a long time without chipping and flaking? I will also be putting an etching primer on as its bare aluminum. Thanks :D

Welcome to the site, add some pics soon, we like pics, as far as paint goes, best way IMO is right here...

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11977

P3150002.jpg

P3150003.jpg

P3150004.jpg

P3150005.jpg

Well heres my Boat. I didnt take pictures before cleaning most of it because it was really bad. The guy before me left it under a tree with no cover for 4 years :shock: So far I've taken all the junk out and took most of the floor out on the rear casting deck. Ill be saving the floor boards for guides when I cut new ones. You can see from the carpet that there used to be a bench behind the console. I took it out because its starting to corrode, and now im questioning even to put it back? I'll be working on it alot all week as im currently on my Spring break (Im only 17) so any suggestions and comments are welcome Thanks! :LOL2:

That's a good looking project! \:D/ You will be able to make that thing look great, and it already has a lot of the popular "options" built in. As previously stated, there a wealth of painting info available on this site by using the "search" feature. As long as you clean the surface well, and use the self-etching primer, you'll get good results out of most quality paints.

One tip I can offer you is to use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to clean the boat with. Just mix it up in a spray bottle, spray an area down good, and scrub it with a scothbrite pad. Once it has been cleaned like this, you can judge whether or not you need to do additional sanding before you prime it.

Good luck and take lots of pics! :popcorn:

Hi. I recently got a 1979 16' Bass Tracker. It appears to be the same as yours. It had also been unused for years and neglected. It is currently fishable just very rough around the edges. I plan to fish it the rest of this year and do a makeover in the winter. I have had it on the water only once and had a fouled plug under load. Ran great in the yard with a barrel with water. I believe we have the same motor. IF yours is a 2 cylinder it is most likely a 402 40hp Mercury. I m not sure what the 402 stands for. I guess 40hp 2 cylinder. Keep posting pics> i am interested in what you do with it. I have done a little research for parts, issues, and fixes. Im not a pro like some of these guys but I may be able to give you some useful info.
Good Luck Monroe

MonroeBobo said:
Hi. I recently got a 1979 16' Bass Tracker. It appears to be the same as yours. It had also been unused for years and neglected. It is currently fishable just very rough around the edges. I plan to fish it the rest of this year and do a makeover in the winter. I have had it on the water only once and had a fouled plug under load. Ran great in the yard with a barrel with water. I believe we have the same motor. IF yours is a 2 cylinder it is most likely a 402 40hp Mercury. I m not sure what the 402 stands for. I guess 40hp 2 cylinder. Keep posting pics> i am interested in what you do with it. I have done a little research for parts, issues, and fixes. Im not a pro like some of these guys but I may be able to give you some useful info.
Good Luck Monroe
I believe it is a 2 cylinder as well. And I'd love to see what you do to your boat too, :D

270Handiman said:
That's a good looking project! \:D/ You will be able to make that thing look great, and it already has a lot of the popular "options" built in. As previously stated, there a wealth of painting info available on this site by using the "search" feature. As long as you clean the surface well, and use the self-etching primer, you'll get good results out of most quality paints.

One tip I can offer you is to use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to clean the boat with. Just mix it up in a spray bottle, spray an area down good, and scrub it with a scothbrite pad. Once it has been cleaned like this, you can judge whether or not you need to do additional sanding before you prime it.

Good luck and take lots of pics! :popcorn:
Thanks for that tip :)
Now i have a question for you all. I am thinking im going to leave the boats bottom bare as it is, but i want to paint the upper half. So if I taped it off and put etching primer, then a paint like duplicolor (it will be above the water line) would that turn out good? Will it peel off or chip easy? Thanks :LOL2:

You'll want to stay away from auto paint. It dries hard and doesn't allow for much flexing, so it'll crack pretty fast considering the amount of flex in most boat hulls (even if you don't notice it).

I'd suggest using a marine topside paint like pettit easypoxy or something similar.

But what I'd REALLY suggest is leaving the hull bare. I don't know what your intentions are, but let me tell you, you're lucky to have a bare hull in my opinion. Once paint is on there, there's really no turning back. You'll be at the mercy of every tree branch, boat dock, etc., and have to deal with the chips they produce...

Jim said:
Are you going to put a seat behind the console if your not going to put back the bench?
I plan on putting a bench for three people. And i know what your thinking "three grown people cant all fit in that small of a space" [-X . Im still a teenage and ill be mostly fishing with my two cousins who are also around the same age as me. So hopefully it will work out. Tell me what you think? Thanks :LOL2:

dyeguy1212 said:
You'll want to stay away from auto paint. It dries hard and doesn't allow for much flexing, so it'll crack pretty fast considering the amount of flex in most boat hulls (even if you don't notice it).

I'd suggest using a marine topside paint like pettit easypoxy or something similar.

But what I'd REALLY suggest is leaving the hull bare. I don't know what your intentions are, but let me tell you, you're lucky to have a bare hull in my opinion. Once paint is on there, there's really no turning back. You'll be at the mercy of every tree branch, boat dock, etc., and have to deal with the chips they produce...
Thanks for you're input. I think i might as well leave the hull alone. But i do need to paint the console. I dont know if you guys have it down there in the states, but would tremclad work? Its a rust paint made by rustoleum i believe. Thanks

For the record, you can add flex to automotive paint.. Thats how they paint rubber bumpers, IMO the best thing to use is steelflex, most economical, and likely most durable, If i do buy a new boat, i am seriously considering steel flexing the bottom and vinyl wrapping the sides, Just for No2 and giggles..

Here are the new pictures. I actually have the console and floor out now, I'll post those ones later. As you can see, I marked which terminal went where by putting corresponding letters on the tape. Im not the best electrician :mrgreen:
P3170011.jpg

P3170008.jpg

P3170010.jpg

P3170009.jpg

Looks like a good project!

I just picked the same (identical) boat yesterday and am going to be starting the decking today.

Just out of curiosity how did you figure out the model number. Looks like I have the same merc 40 as you but the 402 model doesn't match my S/N of 5661770?

Good luck and maybe I'll post a build thread for this one and swap ideas.

Thanks,
Jerry

My 1980 Sea Nymph was bare aluminum but it had some kind of coating over it. I sanded the whole thing with a grinder and wire wheel. I actually thought about leaving it with the brushed look but decided to paint it. The paint definitely looks nice, and you can make an older boat look new again. Just take to your time in your prep and it will look great.