1980 Bass Tracker Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I can't wait....you got what I wish for....I was looking the other day and I found the brand WISE on EBAY they sell the bench of seats for the bass tracker...cant remember how much but wise is a pretty cheap dependable brand.

jdrautoworks said:
Looks like a good project!

I just picked the same (identical) boat yesterday and am going to be starting the decking today.

Just out of curiosity how did you figure out the model number. Looks like I have the same merc 40 as you but the 402 model doesn't match my S/N of 5661770?

Good luck and maybe I'll post a build thread for this one and swap ideas.

Thanks,
Jerry

I couldnt find 402 either and it wasnt on the plate, but i was going by what i found on the internet and what seems to be an identical match.
I would also love to see what you do to your boat too!

I have stripped the boat hull now and its ready for a bleach wash. I used LePage Poly Super Stripper on the inside where bits of old rug and glue were. I also took out all the foam (it will all be replaced)
Now on the console there are holes from graphs people mounted over the years. I talked to a mechanic and he said the best thing to use is JB Weld. What do you guys think? Thanks :D

P4010016.jpg

P4010017.jpg

P4010018.jpg

CanadianAngler said:
jdrautoworks said:
Looks like a good project!

I just picked the same (identical) boat yesterday and am going to be starting the decking today.

Just out of curiosity how did you figure out the model number. Looks like I have the same merc 40 as you but the 402 model doesn't match my S/N of 5661770?

Good luck and maybe I'll post a build thread for this one and swap ideas.

Thanks,
Jerry

I couldnt find 402 either and it wasnt on the plate, but i was going by what i found on the internet and what seems to be an identical match.
I would also love to see what you do to your boat too!

Here is what a boat tech buddy of mine said about my engine "Your Merc 40 serial number 5661770 is a model 1040520. Mercury did some screwy things with serial numbers".

Hopefully that will help you, I have found that the model 402 is pretty close but there are some differences. Check out www.mercrusierparts.com for OEM part numbers you can look these up by S/N.

For the holes on the operators console I would either weld/braze them up and if that is not a option the get some aluminum machine screws (Home Depot Carries them with the bathroom hardware) and thread them into the holes and cut or brake them off and grind smooth. A little spotting putty and primer over the top and good to go. Problem with the JB Weld is the expansion and contraction could cause the "plug" to fall out over time.

CanadianAngler said:
Now on the console there are holes from graphs people mounted over the years. I talked to a mechanic and he said the best thing to use is JB Weld. What do you guys think?]

I've just used bondo in the past and it has worked great, and is easy to work with/sand.

dyeguy1212 said:
CanadianAngler said:
Now on the console there are holes from graphs people mounted over the years. I talked to a mechanic and he said the best thing to use is JB Weld. What do you guys think?]

I've just used bondo in the past and it has worked great, and is easy to work with/sand.

That would work also. You would need to dish out just a bit (maybe about 20-30% larger than the hole) around the holes with a grinder and clean the area with with any non-oil based solvent to it will adhere. Also I would not use Bondo Brand body filler as it is junk, instead use something like Evercoat Rage Urathane body filler. You will find that it is cheaper than Bondo anyway.

Also I am going to be dropping the steering wheel down from it's current position to the panel that runs at about a 45* angle just below it. I don't know about you but that position is like driving a bus and is a PITA. I should be getting around to it here in the next and I'll post pics on how it comes out.

jdrautoworks said:
dyeguy1212 said:
CanadianAngler said:

That would work also. You would need to dish out just a bit (maybe about 20-30% larger than the hole) around the holes with a grinder and clean the area with with any non-oil based solvent to it will adhere. Also I would not use Bondo Brand body filler as it is junk, instead use something like Evercoat Rage Urathane body filler. You will find that it is cheaper than Bondo anyway.

Also I am going to be dropping the steering wheel down from it's current position to the panel that runs at about a 45* angle just below it. I don't know about you but that position is like driving a bus and is a PITA. I should be getting around to it here in the next and I'll post pics on how it comes out.

I was hoping someone would say that. I didn't want to come right out and say it looks stupid... but I think it looks stupid :lol: Not to mention, uncomfortable.

Thanks for the advise on the JB, ill go out on saturday and get some Body filler for the holes. I also sort of want to paint the upper half of the boat (above the water line) just to make it look nice because the rail is all scratched and the old bass tracker decals are pail. I guess i would just need some etching primer and duplicolor. Let me know what you think.

So far right now ive cleaned the boat with a 4:1 bleach wash. Now im just waiting for my 3M 5200 to come in (had to order it from you guys in the States, nowhere near me sells the caulking tubes). Im gunna use the 3M to patch up all the rivets on the inside of the hull before putting the new foam on, just to be sure no water gets in. Pics will come soon :LOL2:

CanadianAngler said:
Thanks for the advise on the JB, ill go out on saturday and get some Body filler for the holes. I also sort of want to paint the upper half of the boat (above the water line) just to make it look nice because the rail is all scratched and the old bass tracker decals are pail. I guess i would just need some etching primer and duplicolor. Let me know what you think.

So far right now ive cleaned the boat with a 4:1 bleach wash. Now im just waiting for my 3M 5200 to come in (had to order it from you guys in the States, nowhere near me sells the caulking tubes). Im gunna use the 3M to patch up all the rivets on the inside of the hull before putting the new foam on, just to be sure no water gets in. Pics will come soon :LOL2:

Gluvit might be a worth a looksee as well.

Don't know if you decided on painting yet but try some TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate(spelling??) it is sold as a cleaner and any hardware store. I've been seeing what it would do on a few spare trim parts and it works great! Get a bucket and a soft bristle brush and work a 2ft sq section at a time and rinse the piss out of it. It has clean my aluminum to the point I don't know if I am going to do a little polish as it's that good.

Latest posts