1981 14' Fisher Marine HELP PLEASE!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasmith

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired this 1981 14' Fisher Marine Jon boat and trailer from a neighbor who said if you can get it out you can have it. It holds water when the plug is in. It has sat outside for years. Looking to strip it down and a possible deck to the front. This is the first boat I have ever had and all of this is brand new to me. I would like to carpet the floor.

Where do I start? What steps do I need to do? Should I seal it with something (Has been power washed after pictures taken)?
What should I use as a floor? Should I take up the existing floor and take out the boxes on the side? Do I need to add foam? If so what should I add?
I don't want to add to much weight to it. Looking to take out the existing seat pedestals and add pole ones. Need new chairs where should I get them?

Looking for some serious guidance on this with products and how-too's!!! Trying to keep the budget low!

Please reply if you can not see the images.IMG_6901.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6921.JPG
    IMG_6921.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,734
  • IMG_6923.JPG
    IMG_6923.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,734
  • IMG_6926.JPG
    IMG_6926.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,734
:WELCOME:

Looks like you have a nice project on your hands.

sasmith said:
Where do I start?

I would start by removing everything you can get out of the boat, old wood, carpet, etc. Then, make sure the hull is in good shape, no holes, leaks, rips or tears. A good way to check for leaks is fill the boat with water from a hose and look for drips. Also, you mentioned $$$, fixing up these old boats get pricey quick, so I'd first check hull condition and see what your looking at getting the trailer in working order. This may/will aid in other boat decisions.

You have a lot of other questions there, but I'd start with the above first.

Should a guy be looking at painting it or anything? Took a wire brush to part of it and it cleaned up really good!

Will this boat need foam?

Really nice looking boat!! Lots of potential. As was said earlier you need to see what your working with. Slow and easy. There is a world of knowledge here and you will get answers to all your questions. If at all possible I would try to ease the floor out. Just to get a good look and clean it out. I've got a 1648 MV polarkraft that I'm just starting. Look at some of the other builds for ideas. These guys do some amazing things with their boats. It's going to be a good time!!

I agree with these guys, make sure it's worth your while before worrying about cosmetic stuff. Check for leaks, check the transom, make sure the trailer is road worthy. Then you can start with the fun stuff!

sasmith, :WELCOME: to Tin Boats.

We strongly encourage all new boaters that, while working on your new treasure,
to also work just as hard on learning all the SAFETY issues concerned with boating.
Also, learn as much as you can about Watercraft Courtesy and the Rules of Navigation.

Good luck in your builds !! . . . and remember, SMALL BITES at first or you can
become overwhelmed rather quickly.

Thanks for all the insight everyone!

The trailer has new tires, winch, and hitch that I put on last week. It is road worthy but probably not highway ready.
I will be going to the DMV for a loss of tittle on both the boat and trailer. Might have to do the home made trailer title.

I keep it down on our farm so I can only work on it on the weekends.

-When stripping it down should I be watching to see if things are riveted straight to the hull, if so should I take those out? What else do I need to be looking for?
-Once stripped down and know that it can float with no leaks. How should I clean the aluminum and should seal it? I have heard of a lot of guys doing different stuff. I am not opposed to painting it either. Curious what steps I should take after know its worthy of the water and stripped down.

-What should I look for on the transom?

Thank you everyone! =D>

Good info on the trailer.

I'd get all of the non-factory old rusted stuff out of the boat. Don't rip off the factory sides just yet. Get it all out and vacuum out all leaves dirt and debris. If you can, feel under and around any thing you can and check the condition of the foam/floatation. If it's solid and dry, you're in good shape. It looks like you have an aluminum floor, or is it plywood. If aluminum, check to see if there is any foam underneath and note condition. If plywood, more likely than not, it will need to be replaced. Looks like it is attached to the ribs, you can drill/unscrew and remove the deck. At this point I'd check for leaks, fill it with water and note any leaks. To fix, I'd rebuck or replace loose rivets. Tears, holes can be welded. If the floor is aluminum and there is no foam underneath, I'd probably pull it just to put some foam down to deaden the noise and add support.

For the transom, if it's not all aluminum, check the wood for soft spots. See if you can push a screwdriver into it. You'll know rotted wood when you see/feel it.

For paint, man if that was my rig, I'd leave it bare aluminum. Love the look and every bump won't leave scratches in your paint.

hope this helps, good luck on your build.

Ditto as for what was just said. The only thing I can add is if you have to drill any rivets be easy on the drill as you go thru the rivet. I have he the bit grab and pull it self into the hole, and as thin as the skin on the outside is , punch a hole. This isn't major just another step to repair. ( done it more than once or semi trl. roofs and walls) Lol. Just thought I'd mention it.

Just bought the same boat with a different layout to it. Mines is a fisher marine water rover I. As said before small bites. Also said before I would start by ripping EVERYTHING out down to a bare hull. Then you will be able to tell better what you have

Quick update for everyone, also I have a MAJOR PROBLEM that needs resolved! I need your help!

I have stripped out everything except the whatever was the original aluminum. I have taken out the seats and all accessories that were on the boat. The boat DOES float and I did not have any issues with it in the water!

However after coming back to the shop and stripping everything down I went to take out the bilge pump and realized it either pulled or pushed water out through the bottom of the boat. There is about a 1' hole that the pump ran through. It was sealed by the nut and silicone around it. I am taking out the live well that it was in and need suggestions on how to seal that up on the outside (underside) of the boat. I will eventually put a new floor in but want to fix it now. I do not have an aluminum welder. Any suggestions on how to fix this 1' hole?

Also any suggestions on when I'm stripping it down as to if I should try and take out the front platform? Also suggestions on how to redo the floor?

The trailer is in good shape. Any suggestions on new carpet to cover the boards, also does anyone see anything I need to change or do to the trailer. Planning on painting. Suggestions on a paint to keep out rust? Will need to redo wiring on trailer.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_6991.jpg
    IMG_6991.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,425
  • IMG_6993.jpg
    IMG_6993.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,425
  • IMG_6996.jpg
    IMG_6996.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,425
  • IMG_6994.jpg
    IMG_6994.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,425
  • IMG_6997.jpg
    IMG_6997.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,425
sasmith

I also live in IL, you mentioned you need to get "lost titles". If you do not already have the title, that is the first thing I would do, a trailer title in IL can be a hassle to say the least. Dealing with IL DMV is very frustrating. Don't spend any more $ until the title is in order. The boat gets a "watercraft registration" from the IL DNR, that is no fun either.

Tim

earl60446 said:
sasmith

I also live in IL, you mentioned you need to get "lost titles". If you do not already have the title, that is the first thing I would do, a trailer title in IL can be a hassle to say the least. Dealing with IL DMV is very frustrating. Don't spend any more $ until the title is in order. The boat gets a "watercraft registration" from the IL DNR, that is no fun either.

Tim

Amen, ALWAYS get a title in hand before investing anymore than a little time in a boat. if it were to come back as stolen and they return it to the owner, he gets a fancy rebuilt boat and you are left with nothing otherwise.

I had a similar case with a boat here in SD, I had to do a reverse search using the previous registration number that was still on the boat (it was wrong BTW) and after chasing dead leads I finally used the annual "tab" sticker number and got the original owners address that they registered it under. sent a certified letter with a form stating the boat was still under his legal ownership and requested a release of title. now the letter was sent so that he and only he could sign for it. once it was returned as undeliverable since he had moved. I then could start filing with the state for a "salvage/forfeit" type title. the same an impound lot would get if your car was towed and you never picked it up. I was then allowed to have a temporary title/registration to get it licensed under my name while the state reviewed my submission. after 60 days the permanent title came in the mail and it was mine.
it was a lot, and my state is fairly easy on licensing stuff as opposed to other states.

so as it was stated , make SURE the title is clear and in your name before you proceed with investing much into it.

Latest posts