1984 Sea Nymph CC 191 w/ Mariner 90HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUCK5NORT

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm going to leave out a lot of details and make this long story short, I was asked to sell this boat to "get it out of the yard" before a house goes up for sale. After a little research, I asked if I could just tow it away and keep it. Got a yes! I have been on boats for most of my life, so I have a little bit of experience, but this is my first boat. Fishing is my favorite hobby and I like to tinker and build stuff so I thought this might be a fun project. I know that the previous owner was meticulous about maintenance on his other equipment, and the boat was covered for years.

The hull looks pretty good, the transom feels solid, and the floor is rotten. I bought a battery and hooked it up, the power trim worked, so I trimmed up the motor, put some air in the tires and pulled it into my backyard. The trailer is OK, tires held air and it got me home about 15 miles away. This thing seems like a very capable fishing boat - 19 foot long center console with two electric Canon down-riggers, a livewell, and a casting deck up front. If this thing makes it, I'll be trolling Adirondack lakes for lake trout, landlocked salmon, and walleye, and casting for largemouth bass.

It has a 1984 90HP Mariner Tower of Power on the back of it. I popped the hood and it looks pretty clean for being 40 years old. The charging wires from the stator were badly corroded and cracked, so I popped the flywheel off and put a new stator on. I fogged the cylinders, the thing spins nice and smooth. I did not turn it over yet or check compression or anything - going to try that soon. IF I can get this old 2 stroke running, I am going to proceed with the build. My plan is to redo the flooring and the wiring, and update the dash and accessories (switches, gauges, lights, electronics, pumps, etc). It has some old electronics (fish finder, speedo, radio) that I am going to remove, I'll keep the transducer bracket mounted for a new one down the road.

I've been lurking on this site for a little while doing research, and decided to start a thread. I'll keep it updated as I make progress, I hope this thing see's the water this summer! If anyone has any tips, tricks, advice or anything let me know!

Next step: check compression, clean carbs (?), check/change lower unit gear oil, change water pump impeller, try to start? Am I missing anything?

Attachments

• fullhull.jpg
    fullhull.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tarpframe.jpg
    tarpframe.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 0
  • carbs.jpg
    carbs.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 0
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 1
  • switchboxes.jpg
    switchboxes.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 1
Nice boat! That's going to be a very nice rig once you get it all sorted. If it was stored properly it may not take much at all to get going. I would check to make sure bugs/vermin haven't made a nest in any small passages and see if she fires on fresh mix.

Trailer looks way short. Put a long straight edge along the bottom and check for hook. If it’s bent that’s a deal breaker for me. Hope not looks like an awesome find otherwise but I’d factor in another trailer.

Good catch. Transom is unsupported as it sits. The boat is awesome. Something will need to be done to get some bunks under the transom.

BTW, last week we babysat our grandkids so my daughter and her husband could travel to your neck of the woods to attend the Kentucky Derby.

Trailer looks way short. Put a long straight edge along the bottom and check for hook. If it’s bent that’s a deal breaker for me. Hope not looks like an awesome find otherwise but I’d factor in another trailer.
Thanks for the heads up, I thought the trailer looked a little short too but I didn't compare it with anything. If I sturdy up the brackets and put longer bunks on, do you think that will suffice? The paperwork I found for it says its an EZ Loader H 18 1500. 18/1500 definitely sounds small for this boat. I think this boat used to be dry docked, not towed all over the place so that could be why the mismatch I suppose. The longest straight edge I have is a 4ft level, I held that up to the bottom of the boat and it looks straight, no sag at the back - I assume that's what I'm looking for.

It's going to be a PIA to get this trailer registered, I don't have a transferable reg for it like I did for the boat. I might hold off on that whole process and look around for a bigger trailer. I'd like to feel comfortable pulling this around to different bodies of water.

Thanks for the heads up, I thought the trailer looked a little short too but I didn't compare it with anything. If I sturdy up the brackets and put longer bunks on, do you think that will suffice? The paperwork I found for it says its an EZ Loader H 18 1500. 18/1500 definitely sounds small for this boat. I think this boat used to be dry docked, not towed all over the place so that could be why the mismatch I suppose. The longest straight edge I have is a 4ft level, I held that up to the bottom of the boat and it looks straight, no sag at the back - I assume that's what I'm looking for.

It's going to be a PIA to get this trailer registered, I don't have a transferable reg for it like I did for the boat. I might hold off on that whole process and look around for a bigger trailer. I'd like to feel comfortable pulling this around to different bodies of water.
If the trailer is designed to handle the load, then it would be safe to modify it...in my area, many keep their boats in water thru the season and only use a trailer for winter storage. Many don't fit the hull very well when used for storage only. Do get a good fit/ support for that hull if your gonna be dragging it around...

Don't forget to get the proper tongue weight. Around 10%.

Hard to say without a tape measure. If you move the tongue jack, winch post, and boat forward 16" would the transom be on top of the existing bunks? If yes, and assuming you don't exceed the trailer's load capacity, then Bob's your Uncle!

Great that it's not hooked! Just a bit more observations, pulling the boat forward to where it's over the bunks is better than nothing but let's face it, those 2x4s are gonna act like diving boards springing up and down. Ideally you want the transom resting above the bunk supports which appears to be at least another foot or more forward. Using 4x4s might work as long as the raise in height doesn't cause other problems. Also look at your winch support. It should have a 45 degree angle support for this size of boat. Not trying to be negative, looks like a great project but, as said above, if you're going to move the boat from a stay in the water environment to a living on the trailer and towing to everywhere environment the trailer is going to have to come up to snuff. In the meantime, support that transom with something...or crank the bow up and let the skeg rest on something solid thereby taking the weight. That "tower of power" weighs around 300 lbs. I used to run a small tinny with a hook. It destroys the performance of the boat with no way to really fix it. My 2cents.

Great that it's not hooked! Just a bit more observations, pulling the boat forward to where it's over the bunks is better than nothing but let's face it, those 2x4s are gonna act like diving boards springing up and down. Ideally you want the transom resting above the bunk supports which appears to be at least another foot or more forward. Using 4x4s might work as long as the raise in height doesn't cause other problems. Also look at your winch support. It should have a 45 degree angle support for this size of boat. Not trying to be negative, looks like a great project but, as said above, if you're going to move the boat from a stay in the water environment to a living on the trailer and towing to everywhere environment the trailer is going to have to come up to snuff. In the meantime, support that transom with something...or crank the bow up and let the skeg rest on something solid thereby taking the weight. That "tower of power" weighs around 300 lbs. I used to run a small tinny with a hook. It destroys the performance of the boat with no way to really fix it. My 2cents.
Thanks for the follow up! I won't get offended if someone tells me my free trailer isn't right. I'll get the transom blocked up or supported or something while I work on it. Planning to put a tent up this weekend over the boat so I can try to get some more work done.

Having the bunks overhang the trailer is common with properly fit trailers and not an issue as long as the overhang is not excessive.

If that's only a 1500lb axle it's sitting on I doubt its the trailer that came with the boat. A quick search pulled up 1klb hull weight. That only leaves 500lbs for motor,gear, fuel, batteries, and the trailer itself. If you keep and modify the trailer to fit the boat I'd suggest an axle upgrade if your towing any distance.

If that's only a 1500lb axle it's sitting on I doubt its the trailer that came with the boat. A quick search pulled up 1klb hull weight. That only leaves 500lbs for motor,gear, fuel, batteries, and the trailer itself. If you keep and modify the trailer to fit the boat I'd suggest an axle upgrade if your towing any distance.

If that is the case, then another trailer is probably the better option.

Latest posts