1985 bass tracker tournament TX...17'....complete rebuild.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could be of help, I thought I was going to have to replace my tach gauge but luckily some steel wool and dielectric grease brought her back to life. hope you get it figured out! I'm gonna run the prop that came on my boat for a little bit this spring before I decide what kind of prop I want cause it will definitely need a new one. The one on it is pretty beat, I'll be interested to hear which one you settle on and what kind of speed you get since we have almost identical boat and both have 50hp. Good luck, looking forward to the outcome.

gatorglenn said:
Well, you might need the 14p after all. But wait until you can get the rpms first. If so, it would be cheaper to have the 13p you have repitched. Unless where you bought the prop will let you swap it. My dealer will allow one swap, with no money involved.

As for the plug on wire. Not sure , the cable looks to be like the one for my 4stoke. No idea what that plug on your motor is for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Never order a prop online unless you know what you need. Local prop shop switch out is priceless. After trading 4 propsI finally got my boat tuned in with a 17p. Rpms at 5800 top speed 46mph 75hp merc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Had an issue with the motor running bad at low RPMS. I did some testing and found the stator to be bad. While I was at it I replace all electronics do to there aged condition. New stator, trigger,switch box, coils, main harness, plug wires and plugs. I have yet to run it on the water but sounds great idling .

Attachments

• DDC1875B-8FF4-4BAD-8286-A3128CE42D32.jpeg
    DDC1875B-8FF4-4BAD-8286-A3128CE42D32.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,787
kalninm said:
Wish I could be of help, I thought I was going to have to replace my tach gauge but luckily some steel wool and dielectric grease brought her back to life. hope you get it figured out! I'm gonna run the prop that came on my boat for a little bit this spring before I decide what kind of prop I want cause it will definitely need a new one. The one on it is pretty beat, I'll be interested to hear which one you settle on and what kind of speed you get since we have almost identical boat and both have 50hp. Good luck, looking forward to the outcome.
I was in the water today with a much smoother running motor due to all new wiring. I still have the 10.3”. 13p prop on. I topped out at 29mph at 5600 rpm..

Some fish in the boat. I also installed a 15p prop today to try out.i haven’t put it in the water yet to see the deliverance from the 13p.

Attachments

• 59DF293C-61ED-46FA-BD40-6314187F47DC.jpeg
    59DF293C-61ED-46FA-BD40-6314187F47DC.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,728
  • 76B25F92-037D-4E51-AB9D-4473E159A0DA.jpeg
    76B25F92-037D-4E51-AB9D-4473E159A0DA.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 2,728
  • BF890428-24A6-4702-AC46-0E8975D203F5.jpeg
    BF890428-24A6-4702-AC46-0E8975D203F5.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,728
kalninm said:
Nice! looks great, think you'll be looking for a new prop or sticking with that one?
I tried a 15pitch that someone had as well. 33mph and 5000 rpm...... I am sticking with the 13p it has the best overall. Last 3 times out 31mph at 5500 rpm WOT.

Have a question for ya. I'm currently gutting my '89 TX and have the entire front out so far. Started on the back deck a few days ago and I am kind of stuck. Everything is riveted to everything else and nothing is really budging. I need to get to that foam to tear it out. Any advice on where to start back there? I don't really with to grind the the caps off the back because the transom is in decent shape, and I don't want to mess with the pieces that are riveted to the hull.

I'm about ready to take an angle grinder to it....

You're going to have to drill a bunch of rivets and take it apart piece by piece. On my '89 Pro 17, the Panel behind the seats was the only one that was attached to rivets through the hull. I know my build isn't the same as yours, but you can read through my rebuild to get an idea. There's really no easy way, just take your time and drill accurately to get it all apart. Your best thing to do is to start your own thread and ask any questions on there.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22554

Good luck!

Beautiful build!

I’m just tearing apart my 84 tournament to 17’ and it seems to be pretty much the same boat. Mine has some foam in the front sides that seems factory but not much else is different.

I have a few questions:

- any idea what kind of tote you used for behind the seats (and where you got them from)?
- - I’d love to see some pictures of how you hinged the lids on these if you have a minute

- how does she ride with all the weight in the back?
- - I’m considering moving the batteries up front.

How is the paint holding up? I like the painted look but adding a maintenance item to an aluminum boat isn’t high on the list.

Anything you would do different if you were to it again?

Thanks!